Re: Diabetes Mellitus, Diabetic Ketoacidosis, Trauma, Amputation

  • ray_madison@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2001
      Gangrene can occer in diabetic patients regardless of trauma if they
      have not maintained proper insulin dosage, etc. So the insurer would
      argue that a slip and fall trauma would not precipitate gangrene,
      etc., unless the victim had already neglected proper health care.

      So any neglect by the victim's prior to the fall would have to be
      looked into. Then the treatment sought after the trauma would have
      to be considered as a possible cause for gangrene to set in as well.

      Consider the following taken from a medical data base re gangrene in
      diabetics:
      Medical/Legal Pitfalls: Failure to realize that cutaneous findings
      often underestimate the extent of underlying disease. Failure to
      initiate early broad-spectrum antibiotics. Failure to obtain
      immediate consultation or to transfer the patient to an appropriate
      facility if such resources are not available at the current facility.