Diabetes Mellitus, Diabetic Ketoacidosis, Trauma, Amputation

  • lawdog798@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2001
      To the Collective: I have a case wherein my client suffers from
      Diabetes Mellitus. She slipped and fell at a convenience store. My
      client suffered severe bruising to both sides of her body, and
      further suffered a left navicular(ankle) fracture. Three months
      later she developed gangrene in her left arm which required an
      amputation and a follow-up amputation. Two months after the left arm
      amputation, she developed gangrene in her right foot and right leg,
      necessitating an above-the knee amputation. Her orthopaedic surgeon
      states that both amputations are, to a reasonable medical certainty,
      a result of injuries sustained in the fall. I just received this
      case from another attorney who refers many of his litigation cases to
      me.
      The medical reports all state that she suffers from diabetic
      ketoacidosis.
      Can someone, or many ones, please advise as to what I am facing, good
      and bad, with this matter? I have already begun my research but am
      not even sure where I should be looking. I would like to present
      articulate, educated questions to my potential experts.
      Thanks in advance!
      Lowell Steiger, Attorney at Law
      (323) 852-1100
      (323) 852-1033 fax
      8383 Wilshire Blvd. #830
      Beverly Hills, California 90211
    • ray_madison@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 5, 2001
        Gangrene can occer in diabetic patients regardless of trauma if they
        have not maintained proper insulin dosage, etc. So the insurer would
        argue that a slip and fall trauma would not precipitate gangrene,
        etc., unless the victim had already neglected proper health care.

        So any neglect by the victim's prior to the fall would have to be
        looked into. Then the treatment sought after the trauma would have
        to be considered as a possible cause for gangrene to set in as well.

        Consider the following taken from a medical data base re gangrene in
        diabetics:
        Medical/Legal Pitfalls: Failure to realize that cutaneous findings
        often underestimate the extent of underlying disease. Failure to
        initiate early broad-spectrum antibiotics. Failure to obtain
        immediate consultation or to transfer the patient to an appropriate
        facility if such resources are not available at the current facility.

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 5, 2001
          First of all, the convenience store insurers are going to strongly dispute
          any contention that a slip and fall caused the severe bruising on both sides
          of her body, and are also going to ask why other events past and present did
          not have a similar effect on her, given the alleged diabetic condition,
          which I presume she did not suddenly acquire on or about the time of the
          fall.

          They are going to allege she needs someone to blame in order to cover
          medical expenses where the cause could well have been a gradual buildup of
          internal bleeding, etc., as a result of the usual bumps and scrapes of
          everyday life (if not a more severe injury from some other event where
          insurance coverage didn't apply).

          So you are going to need a lot of evidence showing the fall actually
          happened, and that the conditions in the store contributed to the fall, and
          that there had either been other falls in the past due to these conditions,
          or such falls were predictable due to these conditions. And you need to
          show that the woman had no history of similar complaints, and hope that
          there is no such history out there with a different doctor, etc. that she
          hasn't revealed to you.

          That's about it for starters.