[infoguys-list] InfoGuys Listserve

  • William Shelton
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 29, 1998
      Dear InfoGuys List,

      Thank you all for subscribing to InfoGuys Listserve! You may be wondering if the list is working. It is. The list is brand new and even though we are more than 100 people strong in our first week nobody has yet to post a message. As the list owner I think I should break the ice.

      My name is Bill Shelton. I live in Northern Virginia (Alexandria) just around the corner from our nation's capitol. I have been a legal investigator for over 17 years and I also developed infoguys.com. This list was started in order to create a forum for the friendly, responsible, and useful exchange of information as it pertains to the field of private investigations, legal research, competitive intelligence, and TSCM. You may discuss most anything on the list, except things illegal. You might have a questions regarding an investigative technique, method, or law, or you might need a PI in a certain area. Your case, as often is the case, may expand it's jurisdiction and you may need information on how to obtain records outside of your jurisdiction and the laws that govern that other jurisdiction. You may need to obtain trademark or copyright documents. You may be traveling to a different part of the country and need information on accomodations or trout streams ; -)

      In any case, don't be shy! Post a message, and see what happens. Ask enough questions and we'll make an FAQ. Keep in mind that the list belongs to you, too.

      I know many of you personally, and I am glad you have supported InfoGuys and the list. And to the folks I don't know, I hope I get to know you. And, you all are in fine company. The people I do know on the list are all extremely bright, talented, and good natured.

      To try to get things rolling a bit, I have a questions for the list. I am trying to write a piece on accident investigation for InfoGuys. I need to know how to calculate the speed a vehicle was travelling based on it skid marks prior to impact point? I have forgotten, cannot find my reference, and am too lazy to research it myself.

      Any help is much appreciated!

      Thanks!
      Bill Shelton

      InfoGuys is Owned and Operated
      by William D. Shelton & Associates
      Investigative Information Services
      P.O. Box 17222
      Alexandria, VA 22302
      800-252-0127
      webmaster@...
      http://infoguys.com

      ----
    • RLPCLI
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 29, 1998
        Bill: The easiest method is to use the skidmark/speed nomograph (chart) from
        The Traffic Accident Investigation Manual (J. Stannard Baker -- Northwestern
        University Traffic Institute). It may not be admissible, but will tell you
        whether you need to go further with speed/skidmark formulae. If you don't
        have the book, let me know, and I'll fax you a copy of the chart. This
        determination has been quickly made more difficult with the advent of anti-
        lock brakes (ABS systems), as they don't leave true skidmarks.

        Congratulations on and thanks for establishing another communication medium
        for us.

        Bob

        Robert L. Parke, CLI
        P.O. Box 156
        Monticello, FL 32345
        850/997-2284
        fax /997-6919

        Robert L. Parke, CLI
        ----
      • Vic Winkler
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 30, 1998
          Greetings,

          By way of introduction, my name is vic winkler.

          I have approximately 20 years of hard-core experience in information
          technology, beginning with software system development (from concept to
          implementation). I am an expert in information security, and have
          been the "concept guy" behind a score or so R&D projects in security.

          Currently I am the principal architect for security at Sun Microsystems
          in the Federal business area.

          This is a very interesting time for information security, there has been
          much change, and as Bill knows, increasing overlap with many other areas
          such as the one Bill works in.

          Best wishes,
          vic

          > InfoGuys is Owned and Operated
          > by William D. Shelton & Associates
          > Investigative Information Services
          > P.O. Box 17222
          > Alexandria, VA 22302
          > 800-252-0127
          > webmaster@...
          > http://infoguys.com
          >
          > ----
          > --
        • Webmaster
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 1998
            Hi Bob & List,

            Thanks, Bob!! I could use something like that. Please, if you can, fax it on
            over (703-931-0099). I'll see if I can get copy permission and put it on
            the web.

            Bill Shelton
            webmaster@...
            http://infoguys.com