Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

STI News: Singapore fugitive tracked down in India

Expand Messages
  • lancer@lancerindia.com
    This message was forwarded to you from Straits Times Interactive (http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg) by lancer@lancerindia.com Comments from sender: Friends I
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2001
      This message was forwarded to you from Straits Times Interactive (http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg) by lancer@...

      Comments from sender:
      I am sending the press report published in
      The Straits Times, Singapore about an
      international fraud case.We successfully
      cought the criminal wanted by the Interpol in India
      and the Singapore Police.Should any of
      your client need such services, do contact
      With best wishes.

      Kunwar Vikram Singh CII
      Managing Director
      Lancers Network Limited
      B6/4, Commercial Complex.
      Safdarjung Enclave,
      NEW DELHI -110029
      Ph# 91-11-6174562 , 6169103
      Fax # 91-11-6187462
      e.mail lancer@...
      website: www.lancerindia.com

      Singapore fugitive tracked down in India
      by Nirmal Ghosh

      NEW DELHI - The sleepy hum of New Delhi's sprawling INA market erupted in frantic activity at 6 pm on Wednesday.

      Vikram Singh, managing director of the private detective firm Lancers Network Limited, accosted Singaporean Salwant Singh and said: 'You are under arrest.'

      'He pushed me and started running,' Mr Vikram Singh told The Straits Times. 'We chased him through the narrow alleys for almost a kilometre. It was like a Hindi movie.'

      Salwant Singh, wanted by Singapore police and Interpol for fraud in Singapore, was finally caught by Lancers Network's team of 25 people, who coordinated the chase by hand-held radio.

      But the fugitive's wife, Zuraini Abdul Rahim, who was with him at the time, got away.

      The agency handed Salwant Singh over to the New Delhi police where he was remanded in judicial custody for 14 days - but his lawyers are now fighting for bail.

      Meanwhile, a team from the Singapore police is expected to arrive in the capital within a couple of days.

      Salwant Singh, 39, and his wife had been fined S$60,000 each in 1999 in Singapore for providing international telephone 'callback' services without a licence - the first such prosecution under the Telecomunication Authority of Singapore Act.

      Under a different name, the Singapore national allegedly started the same business again just four months later, extending credit card payment facilities to clients.

      He apparently raised the bill amounts, which led to the fraud being detected. A warrant was issued for the fugitive, who left for India after the estimated S$33 million scam.

      In Singapore, he faces a jail term of up to seven years if convicted.

      United Overseas Bank (UOB), which had been affected by the scam, approached Lancers Network through the Singapore office of Control Risk.

      The New Delhi-based agency began searching for Salwant Singh and his wife, who had served as his business partner in the scam.

      They discovered that the fugitive had bought two cars in India, had set up a base of operations in Chandigarh, just a few hours drive from Delhi, and had opened two bank accounts in different names.

      He was a frequent visitor to New Delhi where he stayed in many premium hotels.

      But it was ambition that gave him away.

      Salwant Singh wanted to start a similar 'business' in India and took out an advertisement in an Indian daily to that effect.

      Lancers Networks' staff noticed it.

      'The advertisement was regarding the new business which he wanted to set up in Delhi. The venture was similar to the business he was running in Singapore,' Mr Vikram Singh said.

      According to Mr Singh, the fugitive gave his residential address in Chandigarh, and a credit card club address in Bombay.

      The Lancers Network team traced him and put him under surveillance, but had to wait for a faxed copy of the Interpol warrant before moving in.

      The fax arrived last week.

      'After receiving the copy of the warrant I alerted my staff and found out the accused was coming to Delhi on Tuesday,' Mr Singh said.

      'From Chandigarh he was going to Bombay and Ahmedabad and then coming to Delhi. He put himself up in a five-star hotel, but changed hotels later in the day.'

      Mr Singh's team followed the man all day, and moved in on him at the market, where the fugitive was apparently trying to buy fish.
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.