autheticating digital video/photo questions

  • pasr@postoffice.pacbell.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 6, 2001
      list: i recieved a new digital camera for christmas that has all the
      bells and whistles...it's great...i haven't used a digital camera in
      calif courts yet...i have two questions on authenication in either state
      or federal court?...1)my digital camera can edit thru the camera...what
      could i argue besides chain of custody that would give a judge and/or a
      jury confidence the photo/video was not altered?...if so argued by
      opposing side....2)any software products for a jvc dvm 80u camera that
      could satisfy my concern in question 1 and with downloading the pictures
      from the camera....paul anderson sr ...a&a legal service...pi22224
    • Roy Niles
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 6, 2001
        All photographic material, film, video, etc., can be altered. Your
        credibility as a witness and as the person who took the photos is what
        matters. Being licensed as an investigator would give you an advantage in
        that respect.

        >From: pasr@...
        >To: infoguys <infoguys-list@egroups.com>
        >CC: infoguys <infoguys-list@egroups.com>
        >Subject: [infoguys-list] autheticating digital video/photo questions
        >Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 10:19:56 -0800
        >From sentto-1003554-902-978805410-royniles Sat Jan 06 10:24:22 2001
        >
        >list: i recieved a new digital camera for christmas that has all the
        >bells and whistles...it's great...i haven't used a digital camera in
        >calif courts yet...i have two questions on authenication in either state
        >or federal court?...1)my digital camera can edit thru the camera...what
        >could i argue besides chain of custody that would give a judge and/or a
        >jury confidence the photo/video was not altered?...if so argued by
        >opposing side....2)any software products for a jvc dvm 80u camera that
        >could satisfy my concern in question 1 and with downloading the pictures
        >from the camera....paul anderson sr ...a&a legal service...pi22224

      • JRM
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 6, 2001
          Hi Paul,
          I personally opted for the Digital 8 Camcorder from Sony for one main reason
          among many. I keep the 'original' 8mm tape from each job on file, and send
          my clients a transcribed VHS tape for viewing and use as evidence. I
          sometimes am required to make 2 or more 'copies'. Even though my integrity
          and credibility might get me through, judges sometimes feel the 'original'
          tape should be produced, and I always bring it with me when testifying. I
          NEVER USE THE SAME TAPE TWICE!

          A true 'digital' camcorder will not allow that. I don't know in what
          capacity you will be using video, but ALWAYS 'time and date' stamp it when
          transcribing. Also you may want to 'fade' in and out of recording sessions
          whenever possible. I don't, but in your case it will give a repeating
          smoothness to different time frames and diminish one's ability to 'smoothly'
          edit.

          I 'take' my pictures right off the original tape, later, when I have time.
          Again, I'll repeat that I am a firm believer in 'original' video. An
          original cannot be edited without leaving traces.

          John R. Misak
          JRM / USU

          list: i recieved a new digital camera for christmas that has all the
          bells and whistles...it's great...i haven't used a digital camera in
          calif courts yet...i have two questions on authenication in either state
          or federal court?...1)my digital camera can edit thru the camera...what
          could i argue besides chain of custody that would give a judge and/or a
          jury confidence the photo/video was not altered?...if so argued by
          opposing side....2)any software products for a jvc dvm 80u camera that
          could satisfy my concern in question 1 and with downloading the pictures
          from the camera....paul anderson sr ...a&a legal service...pi22224

          href="mailto:infoguys-list-subscribe@...">infoguys-list-subscribe@m
          akelist.com</a><br/>
          To unsubscribe, send a message to <a
          href="mailto:infoguys-list-unsubscribe@...">infoguys-list-unsubscri
          be@...</a><br/>
        • Roy Niles
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 6, 2001
            My understanding is that you can edit a digital tape in camera without
            leaving a detectable trace, but I may be wrong. But of course you should
            always keep the original where any use of the material as evidence is
            contemplated.

          • Ray Fitgerald
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 6, 2001
              John:
              Truer words have not been spoken.
              I can tell you horror stories about P.I.'s that reuse tapes on surveillance.
              Case in point, one of my major carriers used a P.I. in Fla. ( no reflect on
              all of the excellent P.I.s in the great state of Fla.)He re-used a tape that
              show a little frolic he had with a girlfriend among other things. It was a
              rush job and I had to,show the tape in court. Thank God I look at the whole
              tape before I went to court. I told the defense counsel no way can you show
              the original tape. Thank God he was able to tap dance and the problem went
              away. I called the PI and told him the problem and that he owed me big time.
              Tape is cheap, do not make it more expense by being " stupid"
              Just my two cents worth..

              Raymond J. Fitzgerald
              Bureau Of Special Services
              bosspi@...
              http://business.inc.com/bosspi
              845-543-6487 --- 845-534-1060 FAX
              Licensed & Bonded Investigators in N.Y. since 1973
              Member: NALI,ALDONYS,NAPPS,COIN,EPIC.
              " Truth Never Fears Detection "

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 6, 2001
                And a 'shiny' two cents it is.