Re: [infoguys-list] Private Investigation employment guide!

  • David H. Press
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 15, 2000
      Terry....

      Even with the "added" paragraph, a cardholder can initiate a chargeback to
      you after your work is complete and reports are sent to them.

      It's no knowledge of the charges that concerns me...it is the pro cardholder
      stance that VISA and MasterCard have. I have learned this by not only
      investigating credit card fraud for them but for my clients as well.

      We don't currently accept credit cards, too much aggravation.......vs.
      convenience.

      David H. Press
      Press Investigations, Inc.
      dhp@...

      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 15, 2000
        Terry, I have had a world of problems with charge backs from people who
        think that they are owed something in life. For instance.....One scenario
        (True Story) There was a man who contacted me, he was in the middle of a law
        suit for damages resulting in an accident. His attorney wanted a drivers
        history on the 84 year old man that apparently hit my client, but neither
        was charged in the accident. After running the search...the old man had no
        accidents or tickets ever...So, my client charged back with visa and it took
        me over a year to win the charge back for a stupid $100.00 charge. It cost
        me lots more than that to fight it and to this day my merchant account
        holder has not put the money back in my account. I gave up. That is one of
        many stories. The guy felt if he had no history, he doesn't have to pay. I
        have gone through this on atleast 10 cases this year. People want something
        for nothing. I have a no refund for services rendered contract and all. I
        even have them fax their credit card authorizations to me personally and
        still, the merchants will refund the money to the card holder and then it is
        up to the business to fight the refund, which takes forever....It is a
        hassle and you have been lucky.
        Does it make up for other business out of convenience? Sometimes, but not
        usually.
        Laura Wallace
        Without a Doubt Investigations, Inc.
        www.spygal.com

        > I take credit cards and I have never had a problem. In my "Contract for
        > Service Agreement", there is a paragraph reading that upon signing this
        > agreement, there is no charge back. Also, if I am working a case and I am
        > getting close to the amount already paid, they must fax to my office a
        > completed form (that I have already provided) stating additional charges
        may
        > be applied. Their signature is already on file and I have already
        "swiped"
        > the card. When I am in the field, they fax the additional form over.
        Once
        > I receive it, I will then call the toll free number to the credit card
        > company and "Capture" that amount. Then when I get back to the office, I
        > "Key" in the information. By having their signature already on file and
        > then an additional form signed by them, they cannot say that they had not
        > knowledge of the charge(s). If you would like a copy of my contract and
        > form, I would be happy to e-mail it to you for review.
        > Take care
        >
        > Terry S. Trotti
        >
        > TST Investigative Services
        > 6131 South Norcross-Tucker Road
        > Suite # 500-162
        > Norcross, Georgia 30093
        >
        > 770-447-6902
        > 770-447-0811 - Fax
        >
        > www.tstis.com

      • ROBERT CAMPBELL
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 15, 2000
          Thank you, Burt!
          I apologize for the ruckus I caused when I reacted very angrily to Roy's
          comments. I was only trying to help some out not have my intelligence and
          integrity attacked that way!
          By the way Burt may I have your regular e mail address as I've been trying
          to contact a mutual acquaintance of ours who resides in the Atlanta area.
          I've lost that person's telephone number and they mentioned you to me a
          couple of years ago when we worked together as someone they had worked with
          when you first set up your company.
          Thanks!
          Bob

          >From: "burt hodge" <armadillo@...>
          >To: <infoguys-list@egroups.com>
          >Subject: RE: [infoguys-list] Private Investigation employment guide!
          >Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 15:17:51 -0400
          >
          >Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          >Ya'll are ruthless!!!!
          >I was going to ask if you don't have anything better to do, but I know
          >someone would jump on me and accuse me of something.
          >My only comment to Mr. Niles would be, the reason he might not take credit
          >cards might be the cost of doing so. I don't take them either, and that's
          >why. I will not comment on anything else because I don't know the man or
          >his
          >product. As an investigator I am learning not to speak about something
          >unless and until I have investigated it.
          >Ya'll have fun.
          >
          >See ya'
          >Burt
          >
          >Burt Hodge CFE, FCI
          >State Information Bureau
          >842 E. Park Av. Suite B
          >Tallahassee, Fl 32301
          >850-561-3990
          >Fax 850-561-3995

        • ROBERT CAMPBELL
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 15, 2000
            Roy:
            I don't know what your background is. Please don't tell me as I really don't
            want to know anything about it. There aren't too many people that have ever
            managed to insult both my intelligence and my integrity with an e mail!
            Although there is always a first time for everything. So your e mail was it
            for me.

            Predicated on your original e mail and now this one, especially the hostile
            and belligerent tone as well as the implications of fraud and dishonesty. I
            don't think any explanations to you are warranted because you have no
            business talking to anyone like that for any reason. As you have
            demonstrated by your first e mail and now this one that you don't have any
            collegiate sense what so ever! In simple English: it means from the rude
            way you're talking to me you don't deserve an answer!

            I do however owe the rest of the members of this e group a collective
            apology for going off on you the way I did. As you did manage to make me
            lose control of and embarrass myself with each of them who read my initial
            response to the hostility you directed toward me.

            I was just trying to help someone who was asking for guidance. The guide was
            a response to the usual questions from people who want to know how to get
            into the private investigations field. Which was predicated on my personal
            observations and experiences since 1970 both in and out of investigations.

            Roy if you think I'm a con artist or engaged in fraud predicated on your
            twenty years of experience, that's that. It, however, is, in the absence of
            some very compelling concrete evidence, slanderous and Defamatory to put
            that in writing. As you have done here for everyone else in this e group to
            read. Which along with everything else I discussed above here is indicative
            of whatever personal problems you may have. Please, therefore, understand
            that I don't want to waste any more of my time on you!
            ROBERT CAMPBELL

          • Terry S. Trotti
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 15, 2000
              Dave:

              Hummmm, I have three attorneys and they along with Merchant Services say's
              they cannot do a charge back, according to the way my contracts are
              arranged. You may want to double check with various attorneys. But, with
              an original signature on file and then with additional signatures
              authorizing such debts amounts, they cannot argue the fact that they
              approved the services. AMEX, Visa/MC and Discover has supported me on
              several occasions concerning this issue. In all times, the Card Services
              has asked for me to provide a signed contract and additional authorization.
              With that, the card holder is stuck having to pay the debt. Basically it
              boils down to how your account is setup and the supporting documentation.
              Now there are Card Service Providers out there who don't tell the clients
              (like us) about how to make the charges stick. Accounts that are set up as
              "Mail Order" run a higher risk than a "Card Present" account.
              Granted, accepting credit cards is a plus. Should you want to talk with the
              people who handle my accounts, I will be happy to provide that info to you.

              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 15, 2000
                Mr. Zeimet:
                A complaint to the United States Postal Inspection Service would very
                quickly resolve any of the issues you raised. I'm surprised no one seemed to
                realize that recourse was available as an option to them!
                As the Postal Inspection Service is really very aggressive about preserving
                the integrity of the U.S. mails.
                The negative response to my offer of help came as a shock! I'm not used to
                having motives interpreted in such a sinister light.
                Bob Campbell

                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 15, 2000
                  Laura:
                  I had a similar story that happened to me. However, the card holder who
                  kept trying to get that charge back had a hard time explaining that he did
                  not authorize services. When I provided the "Imprinted" copy of the charge,
                  the Visa company took my side. After all, it was hard for that guy to deny
                  that he gave me the card and signed the sales slip.
                  Yeah, I agree with you some want everything for nothing. It's ashamed they
                  do they, but it will all come out in the wash!
                  Take care,

                  Terry

                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 15, 2000
                    Terry:
                    Does the state you do business in's law govern the enforceability of the
                    clause in your engagement contract that you're discussing have anything to
                    do with the cooperation your getting from your Merchant's Service with
                    regard to charge backs?

                    My concern about credit card purchases generally are that if a client
                    doesn't have a sufficient retainer in cash to cover a check: whats the
                    likelihood that they'll have enough credit on their card? As well as the
                    issue of charge backs if after they get the report that answers their
                    questions or resolves their problem and they don't need me or to retain my
                    good will anymore? Let alone the cost of the transaction charges and the
                    percentage fees.

                    Does the same thing apply to merchandise as well as to services? As my main
                    concern about that is someone ordering my publication duplicating it and
                    returning the original for a refund afterward on whatever pretext they may
                    use.

                    Could you clarify those points for me?
                    Bob

                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 15, 2000
                      Very excellent comments made by Mr. Ziemet and Roy. Keep up the good work.
                      I agree with you both very strongly. How can the item assist a new P.I.
                      recruit, that is if he ever receives it,. We must be careful all these
                      offers, at a cost, made by others who seem to know about our business than
                      they do. Is the writer a NINETY DAY WONDER???????????????/
                    • wesbreed@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 15, 2000
                        Here, Here. Good statement. Rough but to the point. I agree with you.
                      • Terry S. Trotti
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 15, 2000
                          Greetings!
                          To answer your questions.....
                          You asked about the client having the funds to cover the retainer rather
                          than write a check...Some clients find it easier to charge it rather than
                          write a check. Also, some get "Bonus points" or "Air Miles" when they use
                          their charge card. Some of the cards I take are the fake Visa cards...the
                          debt cards which drafts right out of their checking account.
                          When we are at the signing of the contract stage, they complete my contract,
                          I then "Imprint" their card and "Swipe it". This shows the card was
                          presented by the card holder. Then I have established that we were face to
                          face. I then call in the "800" # to either Visa?MC or AMEX to get an
                          approval code. As long as I have an approval code from the Credit Card
                          Company, I don't care what the client's bank account looks like. That is an
                          area that the client deals with their bill at the end of the month. Anyway,
                          The client then signs the contract. I also provide them with another form
                          that may be filled out at a later date.
                          Now, if I am out in the field and the client wants additional work
                          done....They will then complete the a form that I provided them at the
                          original signing. They will then fax it over to me. That form states that
                          they request additional investigative work to be done and they must write
                          down their account number, expire date, billing address, case number and a
                          brief summary of what the charge is for. They then fax it to me. I have a
                          www.jfax.com account. JFax then forwards the fax to my e-mail account.
                          Then I use my lap top to call into and retrieve all e-mail's. Once I see
                          their completed form, I then call the 800# to get authorization. Then I
                          continue the investigation. Believe me, I am covered in all ways so I do
                          not have to do any charge backs.
                          If you do not have a JFax account, I would recommend you getting one.
                          As far a your concern, ordering a publication from you and then making
                          photocopies of it and then returning it....I'm sure Barnes & Noble and other
                          bookstores have that same problem. That is one area I don't know what to
                          say about that. You may want to consult with a Merchant Services Account
                          Rep. on way's to protect you. You may want to ask the book store's yourself
                          on ways they handle that.
                          Hope I have answered your questions.
                          Take care,
                          Terry
                        • Laura Wallace
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 15, 2000
                            Terry,
                            Alot of my clients that use their cards live in other states, so we do
                            authorization by fax...we don't swipe their cards. We pay alittle higher
                            rate %, but not much and instead of relying on them sending a retainer
                            check, we get the retainer then. This way we can get started ASAP and like
                            most people, they don't sleep on it and then change their minds and not send
                            the check after you have already started working on the case. Some people
                            are in hurries....But then when the information and evidence isn't exactly
                            what they fantasized, they do charge back and say they never received
                            services....or product....whatever. Of course I can win, but they remove the
                            money from your account and like I said, I still am trying to collect monies
                            that have been taken out and I had won the chargeback. It is a hassle. You
                            just have been lucky. Some people are perpetual charge back people that know
                            the system.
                            Laura Wallace