ISPLA News: TLO $109M Liabilities

  • Peter Psarouthakis
    Message 1 of 7 , May 10, 2013
      Details on the recent TLO chapter 11 bankruptcy disclose $109M debt.

      According to a May 9 article by Paul Brinkman, the South Florida Business
      Journal identified bankruptcy filings, which identified the following TLO
      owners and creditors:

      The largest claim in the bankruptcy is from Technology Investors Inc., which
      owns 31.8 percent of TLO, at $46 million.

      Litigation from a shareholder and former TLO officer, William H. Price
      <http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/blog/2013/05/southflorida/search/re
      sults?q=William%20H.%20Price> , is listed as a disputed claim of $30
      million.

      Other owners include, Ole Poulsen
      <http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/blog/2013/05/southflorida/search/re
      sults?q=Ole%20Poulsen> , Boca Raton, 9.7 percent; William Price, Bonita
      Springs, 13.8 percent; Jules Kroll
      <http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/blog/2013/05/southflorida/search/re
      sults?q=Jules%20Kroll> , Rye, N.Y., 5.7 percent; Tom Glocer
      <http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/blog/2013/05/southflorida/search/re
      sults?q=Tom%20Glocer> , New York, N.Y., 5.7 percent.

      Kroll's name is famous for a company of the same name that offers
      investigative services for business. The business was acquired in 2010 by
      Altegrity Inc. Glocer is the former CEO of Thomson Reuters and is on the
      board of Merck (NYSE: MRK). Polson was also TLO's chief technology officer.

      Wells Fargo Bank also holds debt related to bank accounts.

      TLO subscribers should read the full article at:

      http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/blog/2013/05/tlo-cites-109m-liabilit
      ies-in-chapter.html?page=all

      Bruce Hulme

      ISPLA Director of Government Affairs

      www.ISPLA.org <http://www.ispla.org/>

    • RickyG
      Message 2 of 7 , May 10, 2013
        I predicted an event such as this would occur with TLO a month ago, on another group. Now that group no longer wants to discuss TLO since back then everyone believed that what they were seeing at TLO were just "hiccups" due to their direct data providers wanting stronger agreements in place. Now the people on that group (or at least the ones that are not complete idiots), are starting to see the same writing on the wall that I saw a month ago.

        After one of the people in our industry that is known for getting the inside scoop on these issues, interviewed TLO he reported back. TLO gave him what I call "Feel Good BS", and spoke to him about how strong and stable they are, and how well they are doing. This man reported back to us all by quoting what TLO had told him, Below is an excerpt from my post on another group in response to what TLO told this man:

        "Does anyone here actually believe that a company the size of TLO is going let the public know if it is failing or getting ready to shut down just because someone in management is asked? Companies like TLO do not let the public know about it's failings or intentions unless they have to, or unless they develop a well timed press release that allows them to maximize profits by not panicking their customers, until the last possible minute. What they do NOT do is tell anyone interviewing them that they are failing, and that they predict that they will be closed within a year, so that their customers can start "jumping ship" and looking for a more stable provider. The point here is this, we are not going to know if TLO is having critical problems that could close their doors until they want us to know. And perhaps they are doing just fine?"

        From RickyG Thu Apr, 11 2013 14:04:25

        My thoughts are below:

        To me... A large company like TLO filing bankruptcy IS A PROBLEM....

        Perhaps nobody knows this? But a well organized corporation does not have to file bankruptcy when the CEO dies............

        Bankruptcy is filed because one can not manage their debt load with their current income and can not project that their income is going to increase enough to in the future..

        What you should be worried about is what is going to happen next......

        All I can say is; I am glad I don't rely on them for data services..

        Agency License Number: 2011001124

        Director of Operations: Ricky Gurley
        Private Investigator License Number: 2011001072

        Direct Office Number: (573) 234-6876
        Office Phone: (573) 234-4647 Ext. 110
        Cell Phone: (573) 529-4476
        Company Toll Free Phone: (877) 571-7486
        Personal Toll Free Phone: (888) 571-0958
        Toll Free Fax: (877) 795-9800
        EMERGENCY LINE: (573) 234-4871

        RMRI, Inc. Website
        (1) http://www.rmriinc.com

        RMRI, Inc. Blog
        (1) http://rmriincblog.com/

        --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Psarouthakis" <peter@...> wrote:

        > Details on the recent TLO chapter 11 bankruptcy disclose $109M debt.

        > According to a May 9 article by Paul Brinkman, the South Florida Business
        > Journal identified bankruptcy filings, which identified the following TLO
        > owners and creditors:

        > The largest claim in the bankruptcy is from Technology Investors Inc., which
        > owns 31.8 percent of TLO, at $46 million.
        >
        > Litigation from a shareholder and former TLO officer, William H. Price
        > <http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/blog/2013/05/southflorida/search/re
        > sults?q=William%20H.%20Price> , is listed as a disputed claim of $30
        > million.

        > Other owners include, Ole Poulsen
        > <http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/blog/2013/05/southflorida/search/re
        > sults?q=Ole%20Poulsen> , Boca Raton, 9.7 percent; William Price, Bonita
        > Springs, 13.8 percent; Jules Kroll
        > <http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/blog/2013/05/southflorida/search/re
        > sults?q=Jules%20Kroll> , Rye, N.Y., 5.7 percent; Tom Glocer
        > <http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/blog/2013/05/southflorida/search/re
        > sults?q=Tom%20Glocer> , New York, N.Y., 5.7 percent.
        >
        > Kroll's name is famous for a company of the same name that offers
        > investigative services for business. The business was acquired in 2010 by
        > Altegrity Inc. Glocer is the former CEO of Thomson Reuters and is on the
        > board of Merck (NYSE: MRK). Polson was also TLO's chief technology officer.

        > Wells Fargo Bank also holds debt related to bank accounts.

        > TLO subscribers should read the full article at:

        > http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/blog/2013/05/tlo-cites-109m-liabilit
        > ies-in-chapter.html?page=all

        > Bruce Hulme
        >
        > ISPLA Director of Government Affairs
        >
        > www.ISPLA.org <http://www.ispla.org/>
      • Terry Skipmax
        Message 3 of 7 , May 10, 2013
          I know for a fact that some of the data contracts in place with Hank were not honored after his death, and the predecessors have essentially stolen the data sets from legitimate contracts and have not paid for them.

          this practice will continue and data providers to TLO will eventually require pre-payment for the data sets and updates, which they will not do......

          Get your fresh data now.. www.skipmax.com no monthly fee.....

          Terry Sweet
          877-531-3282
          National Data Research
          DBA - SkipMax
          Terry@...

[...]

          From RickyG Thu Apr, 11 2013 14:04:25

          --- In mailto:infoguys-list%40yahoogroups.com, "Peter Psarouthakis" <peter@...> wrote:

          > Details on the recent TLO chapter 11 bankruptcy disclose $109M debt.

          > According to a May 9 article by Paul Brinkman, the South Florida Business
          > Journal identified bankruptcy filings, which identified the following TLO
          > owners and creditors:

          > The largest claim in the bankruptcy is from Technology Investors Inc., which
          > owns 31.8 percent of TLO, at $46 million.
          >
          > Litigation from a shareholder and former TLO officer, William H. Price
          > <http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/blog/2013/05/southflorida/search/re
          > sults?q=William%20H.%20Price> , is listed as a disputed claim of $30
          > million.

          > Other owners include, Ole Poulsen
          > <http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/blog/2013/05/southflorida/search/re
          > sults?q=Ole%20Poulsen> , Boca Raton, 9.7 percent; William Price, Bonita
          > Springs, 13.8 percent; Jules Kroll
          > <http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/blog/2013/05/southflorida/search/re
          > sults?q=Jules%20Kroll> , Rye, N.Y., 5.7 percent; Tom Glocer
          > <http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/blog/2013/05/southflorida/search/re
          > sults?q=Tom%20Glocer> , New York, N.Y., 5.7 percent.
          >
          > Kroll's name is famous for a company of the same name that offers
          > investigative services for business. The business was acquired in 2010 by
          > Altegrity Inc. Glocer is the former CEO of Thomson Reuters and is on the
          > board of Merck (NYSE: MRK). Polson was also TLO's chief technology officer.

          > Wells Fargo Bank also holds debt related to bank accounts.

          > TLO subscribers should read the full article at:

          > http://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/blog/2013/05/tlo-cites-109m-liabilit
          > ies-in-chapter.html?page=all

          > Bruce Hulme
          >
          > ISPLA Director of Government Affairs
          >
          > www.ISPLA.org <http://www.ispla.org/>

        • Bob Hrodey
          Message 4 of 7 , May 10, 2013
            On 5/10/2013 11:25 AM, RickyG wrote:
            > I predicted an event such as this would occur with TLO a month ago, on another group. Now that group no longer wants to discuss TLO since back then everyone believed that what they were seeing at TLO were just "hiccups" due to their direct data providers wanting stronger agreements in place. Now the people on that group (or at least the ones that are not complete idiots), are starting to see the same writing on the wall that I saw a month ago.
            >
            > After one of the people in our industry that is known for getting the inside scoop on these issues, interviewed TLO he reported back. TLO gave him what I call "Feel Good BS", and spoke to him about how strong and stable they are, and how well they are doing. This man reported back to us all by quoting what TLO had told him, Below is an excerpt from my post on another group in response to what TLO told this man:

            > "Does anyone here actually believe that a company the size of TLO is going let the public know if it is failing or getting ready to shut down just because someone in management is asked? Companies like TLO do not let the public know about it's failings or intentions unless they have to, or unless they develop a well timed press release that allows them to maximize profits by not panicking their customers, until the last possible minute. What they do NOT do is tell anyone interviewing them that they are failing, and that they predict that they will be closed within a year, so that their customers can start "jumping ship" and looking for a more stable provider. The point here is this, we are not going to know if TLO is having critical problems that could close their doors until they want us to know. And perhaps they are doing just fine?"
            >
            > >From RickyG Thu Apr, 11 2013 14:04:25
            >
            > My thoughts are below:
            >
            > To me... A large company like TLO filing bankruptcy IS A PROBLEM....
            >
            > Perhaps nobody knows this? But a well organized corporation does not have to file bankruptcy when the CEO dies............
            >
            > Bankruptcy is filed because one can not manage their debt load with their current income and can not project that their income is going to increase enough to in the future..
            >
            > What you should be worried about is what is going to happen next......
            >
            > All I can say is; I am glad I don't rely on them for data services..
            *
            *Bankruptcies come and bankruptcies go. Will TLO survive or will they
            become history? Stay tuned.

            Just because they have filed for reorganization does not mean that it's
            time to stick a fork in them. I can name a lot of businesses that have
            sought bankruptcy protection and are now just vague memories. Others
            are still around. Anybody ever hear of Chrysler?<g>

            Until and unless TLO's data turns to crap and/or they hold out their
            hands and tell us we have to by a one year subscription in order to
            access the product, I'm standing with them.

            As for relying on them for data services... Guess we need to qualify a
            statement like that, Rick. I do RELY on TLO but they are not my sole
            supplier. Like you, I have access to quite a number of database
            providers and sources and I use them all as the case requires. Anyone
            who relies SOLELY on TLO or any other single source.... Well, they are
            idiots and just waiting for a call from Charles Darwin asking them to
            join him in the great beyond.<g>

            It costs us nothing to ride this one out. Bailing from TLO will
            certainly not help their situation, staying with them until such time as
            their product deteriorates does not harm us.
            ***
            *
            --
            Enjoy,

            /Bob/
            Hrodey & Associates Established 1977
            Woodstock, IL 60098-0366 NCISS, & P.A.W.L.I.
            email: inquiry@... or rth@...
            Illinois License 115-000783 Wisconsin 8045-063

          • RickyG
            Message 5 of 7 , May 10, 2013
              Please forgive me Bob, I don't know how to snip this post in such a way that the reader wont miss some information that they may need if they are just coming in and decide to just read this post. I know you like "snipped for relevance" posts. LOL.

              I don't disagree with anything you wrote in your post. I'd add that it is people like you that stay with companies that are showing signs of having problems that allow these companies to endure and succeed. If TLO makes it through, I hope they are as loyal to you as you are to them.

              Bankruptcy is not a sign of "definite death to come", but it is problematic. It does cause people to lose faith in the company that is filing. It can cause investors to rethink or pull out altogether. It can cause customers to "jump ship". And overall, it just puts a business under a certain cloud that just does not bode well with potential investors and customers.

              You are absolutely correct as a customer, it costs nothing to ride it out and see where it goes. And as the intelligent PI that you are, if they shut down tomorrow it would not hurt you one bit because you have other data providers that you can use for a "back-up" for lack of a better word. But it is going to be pretty bad for the idiots that rely solely on TLO if TLO can not whither this storm. By the way, have you ever asked yourself if smart people should be so mean to idiots; I mean do you really think the idiots can help being idiots?

              Shoot me a private email Bob, and I'll recommend a database that I use that I really like. It does cost a bit more than the rest, but the information on it and the options for it are pretty accurate, up-to-date and impressive. You may have already heard of them or even be using them, too.

              Take care, Bob.

              Rick.

              Message 6 of 7 , May 10, 2013
                On 5/10/2013 12:01 PM, RickyG wrote:
                > Please forgive me Bob, I don't know how to snip this post in such a way that the reader wont miss some information that they may need if they are just coming in and decide to just read this post. I know you like "snipped for relevance" posts. LOL.
                >
                > I don't disagree with anything you wrote in your post. I'd add that it is people like you that stay with companies that are showing signs of having problems that allow these companies to endure and succeed. If TLO makes it through, I hope they are as loyal to you as you are to them.
                >
                > Bankruptcy is not a sign of "definite death to come", but it is problematic. It does cause people to lose faith in the company that is filing. It can cause investors to rethink or pull out altogether. It can cause customers to "jump ship". And overall, it just puts a business under a certain cloud that just does not bode well with potential investors and customers.

                And I don't disagree with anything you're posting either. It's all
                true. My point was that as "users" or "consumers" we really need to
                plot our actions based not on the herd mentality or thinking like
                suppliers or investors but simply as consumers who have access to a good
                product (so far). As an investor, I'd be a lot more concerned with the
                announcement that I am as a consumer which is, quite frankly, not at
                all. TLO will survive or TLO will fail. Nothing that I do or say will
                alter their course. What will be will be. (Cue Doris Day, stage left<g>)

                I'm just pointing out that in our case, while sometimes abandoning a
                sinking ship is a wise move, it makes no more sense here than it would
                if you were standing on the tenth floor of a concrete building and told
                that a waste basket was on fire on the ninth floor and that the fire
                department was there putting it out. Wouldn't make much sense to jump
                out of that 10th floor window.

                > You are absolutely correct as a customer, it costs nothing to ride it out and see where it goes. And as the intelligent PI that you are, if they shut down tomorrow it would not hurt you one bit because you have other data providers that you can use for a "back-up" for lack of a better word. But it is going to be pretty bad for the idiots that rely solely on TLO if TLO can not whither this storm. By the way, have you ever asked yourself if smart people should be so mean to idiots; I mean do you really think the idiots can help being idiots?

                As the saying goes, "ignorance can be cured, stupidity is forever."
                Idiots are idiots are idiots. They are doomed to be what they are and
                can be cured, I think, only by Darwin<g>

                Message 7 of 7 , May 10, 2013
                  On 5/10/2013 12:01 PM, RickyG wrote:

                  > Shoot me a private email Bob, and I'll recommend a database that I use that I really like. It does cost a bit more than the rest, but the information on it and the options for it are pretty accurate, up-to-date and impressive. You may have already heard of them or even be using them, too.

                  And the mystery guest is....?:-D