ISPLA News: TLO Security Breaches & Record Closures to Private Investigators

  • Peter Psarouthakis
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11 6:48 AM
      Re: TLO Security Breaches & Record Closures to Private Investigators

      The email messages from private investigators regarding TLO’s closure of SSNs, the increased inspections of investigative businesses operated out of both homes and office buildings, and other concerns of our profession have not gone unnoticed by ISPLA. I want to assure our colleagues that we are well aware of the implications of the recent decision of TLO to restrict access to SSN, DOB information, and vehicle data, which is critical in conducting investigations.

      The reasons for TLO’s change in access are similar to the aftermath of events that, as I recall, commenced in 2003 in California when there was a security breach of personal information at ChoicePoint. That event increased public awareness of the extent of personally identifiable information data brokers and resellers collected and sold. It added fodder for the privacy advocates and certain state and federal legislators to propose legislation that would have restricted the collection, use, dissemination, and sale of the SSN. In 2004 there was a subsequent ChoicePoint data breach in which two California private investigators actually breached ChoicePoint’s information.

      Unfortunately, history can have a way of repeating itself. The current events at TLO are reminiscent of another security information breach; information gathered thus far reveals that a similar event may have occurred at TLO. In 2004, as I recall, Experian imposed additional restrictions on Choice Point and other major resellers of information. At that time they also considered an outright restriction on selling any information to private investigators that was derived from credit reports. After several years of periodic negotiations between the major resellers and a coalition of professional investigative organizations, restrictions were imposed on resellers and their accounts with significant added requirements in selling to private investigators. Credentialing with periodic onsite inspections of private investigative offices commenced in the ensuing years.

      ISPLA’s core of legislative activists previously worked on these same issues that once again challenge our profession. We may also have to address additional areas, such as public relations emphasizing the role of vetted and regulated state licensed private investigators in the administration of justice and take legal measures regarding restraint of trade. The ISPLA legislative team may very well be calling upon you individually to assist us in this critical campaign, which will be expensive and time-consuming if the desired results are to be achieved. If this issue affects you and your business, please consider financially supporting our efforts on your behalf. Please go to: <http://www.ispla.org/> www.ISPLA.org

      Bruce Hulme

      ISPLA Director of Government Affairs

      Your Proactive Voice from State Capitols to the Nation’s Capitol

      Permission is granted to repost this message to investigative and security professional associations