question

  • karousel
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 19, 2013
      In NYS, is it illegal or unethical for a private investigator to approach a police officer (works for an out-of-control police department) and discuss the advantages of this officer coming forward and telling the truth in a matter?

      Sylvia

    • oracleintl
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 19, 2013
        That's not illegal anywhere ... dangerous, and perhaps very naively
        foolish, but absolutely legal.

        If I was dealing with a serious corruption related situation, and false
        statements by law enforcement authorities, I would put the case together and
        let the DOJ explain to the officer why they should tell the truth.

        In my view, any PI that would take on the job of "cleaning up"
        institutionalized law enforcement corruption would be far too naive and inexperienced
        to be up to the job.

        Bill E. Branscum, Investigator
        Oracle International
        Naples, FL 34101
        (239) 304-1639 V
        (239) 641-6782 C

        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 19, 2013
          Thank you for your reply.

          The FBI states they investigate color of law complaints against law enforcement. The information was sent to the FBI, and the person never received a response.

          I'll pass along your suggestion. Thanks again.