New Bill: Cybersecurity & American Cyber Competitiveness Act of 2013

  • Peter Psarouthakis
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2013
      S 21, the Cybersecurity and American Cyber Competitiveness Act of 2013was
      introduced by Senate Commerce Committee Chairman Jay Rockefeller (D-WV),
      Intelligence Committee Chairwoman Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), and Homeland
      Security and Governmental Affairs Committee Chairman Tom Carper (D-DE).
      Additional cosponsors are Senators Carl Levin (D-MI), Barbara Mikulski
      (D-MD), Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI), and Chris Coons (D-DE)

      "Throughout my five years of work on cyber, our military and national
      security officials and our country's top business executives have made it
      abundantly clear that the serious threats to our country grow every day. The
      private sector and the government must work together to secure the networks
      that are vital to American businesses and communities. It is a priority this
      year to act on comprehensive cybersecurity legislation" stated Senator
      Rockefeller.

      The sponsors hope to address cybersecurity by hardening communications and
      networks; establishing mechanisms for public-private information-sharing and
      threat detection, assessment and response; promoting investment in research
      and development and in workforce training; targeting identity theft and
      protection; and enhancing partnership and cooperation.

      The bill states: "With information technology now the backbone of the United
      States economy, a critical element of United States national security
      infrastructure and defense systems, the primary foundation of global
      communications, and a key enabler of most critical infrastructure, nearly
      every single United States citizen is touched by cyberspace and is
      threatened by cyber attacks."

      The measure also noted the ongoing and increasing malicious activity in
      cyberspace, as well as previous governmental recognition of cyber threats
      and the need for better public-private partnerships as key aspects of the
      need of legislation.

      The resolution does not delve into the more controversial measures that sunk
      cyber legislation in 2012, such as disputes over whether to incentivize or
      require private industry - including owners and operators of critical
      infrastructure - to participate in government security efforts, as well as
      over privacy concerns.

      Senator Carper stated: "The Internet touches the lives of everyone in
      American society on a daily basis. It's where we communicate, work, shop,
      and bank. It also forms the backbone of key critical infrastructure, such
      as the electric grid, our water supply and our transportation networks.
      Given all that relies on a safe and secure Internet, it is vital that we do
      what's necessary to protect ourselves from hackers, cyber thieves, and
      terrorists. Our nation needs a modern approach to ensuring the security of
      cyber space. I was disappointed that Congress could not come together to
      pass bipartisan cybersecurity legislation that I co-authored in the last
      Congress -- the Cybersecurity Act of 2012- because it was a significant
      improvement over our current cybersecurity laws, which numerous experts have
      said do not go far enough to protect us.

      This "Sense of Congress" five page bill may be found at:

      <http://commerce.senate.gov/public/?a=Files.Serve&File_id=b678eb9a-b5c1-4540
      -aca3-3e857c7627da&wpisrc=nl_tech>
      http://commerce.senate.gov/public/?a=Files.Serve&File_id=b678eb9a-b5c1-4540-
      aca3-3e857c7627da&wpisrc=nl_tech

      Bruce Hulme

      ISPLA Director of Government Affairs

      <http://www.ispla.org/> www.ISPLA.org

      You Proactive Voice from State Capitols to the Nation's Capitol