We're broke but giving away free cell phones

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2012
      Paradise Lost: CA to Provide Free Cell Phones for Homeless

      ____________________________________

      In California, the unemployment rate may be above 10.2%, and the state debt
      may be above $16 billion, the state’s GDP may be in serious trouble and
      businesses may be leaving in droves due to ever-increasing tax rates, but
      that isn’t going to stop the gravy train for the state’s poor and
      dispossessed. The California Public Utilities Commission is all set to greenlight a
      new program that would give homeless and low-income people free cell phones –
      call them Obamaphones – with free service. The idea is to help them reach
      out to possible job opportunities and stay connected with family.

      San Francisco’s head of homeless initiatives, Bevan Dufty, was overjoyed: “
      This is great – it is transformative for homeless and low-income people. I
      expect San Francisco to be in the forefront and a model city for this
      program. Fundamentally, to be in the mainstream of our society you have to have
      a phone. And really, for the homeless population, you need a cell phone
      because they don’t have a home to hard-wire one into. We really need this plan.
      ” Dufty is pushing an effort to allow the homeless to call 311 to find out
      where there’s an available bed at a homeless shelter.
      The state has funded phones for the poor for years, but they were always
      hardline phones, not cell phones. The new program will give beneficiaries
      some 250 minutes of time and 250 free text messages every month.