Ron Paul’s farewell address to Congress says it very well

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 15 11:33 AM
      The video can be seen at - _http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q03cWio-zjk_

      Transcript of Farewell Address
      By _Matthew Hawes_ (http://www.campaignforliberty.org/author/mh_admin/)
      on November 14, 2012 in _National Blog_

      Farewell to Congress

      This may well be the last time I speak on the House Floor. At the end of
      the year I’ll leave Congress after 23 years in office over a 36 year
      period. My goals in 1976 were the same as they are today: promote peace and
      prosperity by a strict adherence to the principles of individual liberty.
      It was my opinion, that the course the U.S. embarked on in the latter part
      of the 20th Century would bring us a major financial crisis and engulf us
      in a foreign policy that would overextend us and undermine our national
      To achieve the goals I sought, government would have had to shrink in size
      and scope, reduce spending, change the monetary system, and reject the
      unsustainable costs of policing the world and expanding the American Empire.
      The problems seemed to be overwhelming and impossible to solve, yet from my
      view point, just following the constraints placed on the federal
      government by the Constitution would have been a good place to start.
      How Much Did I Accomplish?
      In many ways, according to conventional wisdom, my off-and-on career in
      Congress, from 1976 to 2012, accomplished very little. No named legislation,
      no named federal buildings or highways—thank goodness. In spite of my
      efforts, the government has grown exponentially, taxes remain excessive, and
      the prolific increase of incomprehensible regulations continues. Wars are
      constant and pursued without Congressional declaration, deficits rise to the
      sky, poverty is rampant and dependency on the federal government is now
      worse than any time in our history.
      All this with minimal concerns for the deficits and unfunded liabilities
      that common sense tells us cannot go on much longer. A grand, but never
      mentioned, bipartisan agreement allows for the well-kept secret that keeps the
      spending going. One side doesn’t give up one penny on military spending,
      the other side doesn’t give up one penny on welfare spending, while both
      sides support the bailouts and subsidies for the banking and corporate
      elite. And the spending continues as the economy weakens and the downward
      spiral continues. As the government continues fiddling around, our liberties
      and our wealth burn in the flames of a foreign policy that makes us less
      The major stumbling block to real change in Washington is the total
      resistance to admitting that the country is broke. This has made compromising,
      just to agree to increase spending, inevitable since neither side has any
      intention of cutting spending.
      The country and the Congress will remain divisive since there’s no “loot
      left to divvy up.”
      Without this recognition the spenders in Washington will continue the march
      toward a fiscal cliff much bigger than the one anticipated this coming
      I have thought a lot about why those of us who believe in liberty, as a
      solution, have done so poorly in convincing others of its benefits. If
      liberty is what we claim it is- the principle that protects all personal, social
      and economic decisions necessary for maximum prosperity and the best chance
      for peace- it should be an easy sell. Yet, history has shown that the
      masses have been quite receptive to the promises of authoritarians which are
      rarely if ever fulfilled.
      Authoritarianism vs. Liberty
      If authoritarianism leads to poverty and war and less freedom for all
      individuals and is controlled by rich special interests, the people should be
      begging for liberty. There certainly was a strong enough sentiment for more
      freedom at the time of our founding that motivated those who were willing
      to fight in the revolution against the powerful British government.
      During my time in Congress the appetite for liberty has been quite weak;
      the understanding of its significance negligible. Yet the good news is that
      compared to 1976 when I first came to Congress, the desire for more freedom
      and less government in 2012 is much greater and growing, especially in
      grassroots America. Tens of thousands of teenagers and college age students
      are, with great enthusiasm, welcoming the message of liberty.
      I have a few thoughts as to why the people of a country like ours, once the
      freest and most prosperous, allowed the conditions to deteriorate to the
      degree that they have.
      Freedom, private property, and enforceable voluntary contracts, generate
      wealth. In our early history we were very much aware of this. But in the
      early part of the 20th century our politicians promoted the notion that the
      tax and monetary systems had to change if we were to involve ourselves in
      excessive domestic and military spending. That is why Congress gave us the
      Federal Reserve and the income tax. The majority of Americans and many
      government officials agreed that sacrificing some liberty was necessary to
      carry out what some claimed to be “progressive” ideas. Pure democracy became
      They failed to recognized that what they were doing was exactly opposite of
      what the colonists were seeking when they broke away from the British.
      Some complain that my arguments makes no sense, since great wealth and the
      standard of living improved for many Americans over the last 100 years,
      even with these new policies.
      But the damage to the market economy, and the currency, has been insidious
      and steady. It took a long time to consume our wealth, destroy the
      currency and undermine productivity and get our financial obligations to a point
      of no return. Confidence sometimes lasts longer than deserved. Most of our
      wealth today depends on debt.
      The wealth that we enjoyed and seemed to be endless, allowed concern for
      the principle of a free society to be neglected. As long as most people
      believed the material abundance would last forever, worrying about protecting a
      competitive productive economy and individual liberty seemed unnecessary.
      The Age of Redistribution
      This neglect ushered in an age of redistribution of wealth by government
      kowtowing to any and all special interests, except for those who just wanted
      to left alone. That is why today money in politics far surpasses money
      currently going into research and development and productive entrepreneurial
      The material benefits became more important than the understanding and
      promoting the principles of liberty and a free market. It is good that
      material abundance is a result of liberty but if materialism is all that we care
      about, problems are guaranteed.
      The crisis arrived because the illusion that wealth and prosperity would
      last forever has ended. Since it was based on debt and a pretense that debt
      can be papered over by an out-of-control fiat monetary system, it was doomed
      to fail. We have ended up with a system that doesn’t produce enough even
      to finance the debt and no fundamental understanding of why a free society
      is crucial to reversing these trends.
      If this is not recognized, the recovery will linger for a long time.
      Bigger government, more spending, more debt, more poverty for the middle class,
      and a more intense scramble by the elite special interests will continue.
      We Need an Intellectual Awakening
      Without an intellectual awakening, the turning point will be driven by
      economic law. A dollar crisis will bring the current out-of-control system to
      its knees.
      If it’s not accepted that big government, fiat money, ignoring liberty,
      central economic planning, welfarism, and warfarism caused our crisis we can
      expect a continuous and dangerous march toward corporatism and even fascism
      with even more loss of our liberties. Prosperity for a large middle class
      though will become an abstract dream.
      This continuous move is no different than what we have seen in how our
      financial crisis of 2008 was handled. Congress first directed, with
      bipartisan support, bailouts for the wealthy. Then it was the Federal Reserve with
      its endless quantitative easing. If at first it doesn’t succeed try again;
      QE1, QE2, and QE3 and with no results we try QE indefinitely—that is until
      it too fails. There’s a cost to all of this and let me assure you delaying
      the payment is no longer an option. The rules of the market will extract
      its pound of flesh and it won’t be pretty.
      The current crisis elicits a lot of pessimism. And the pessimism adds to
      less confidence in the future. The two feed on themselves, making our
      situation worse.
      If the underlying cause of the crisis is not understood we cannot solve our
      problems. The issues of warfare, welfare, deficits, inflationism,
      corporatism, bailouts and authoritarianism cannot be ignored. By only expanding
      these policies we cannot expect good results.
      Everyone claims support for freedom. But too often it’s for one’s own
      freedom and not for others. Too many believe that there must be limits on
      freedom. They argue that freedom must be directed and managed to achieve
      fairness and equality thus making it acceptable to curtail, through force,
      certain liberties.
      Some decide what and whose freedoms are to be limited. These are the
      politicians whose goal in life is power. Their success depends on gaining
      support from special interests.
      No More ‘isms’
      The great news is the answer is not to be found in more “isms.” The
      answers are to be found in more liberty which cost so much less. Under these
      circumstances spending goes down, wealth production goes up, and the quality
      of life improves.
      Just this recognition—especially if we move in this direction—increases
      optimism which in itself is beneficial. The follow through with sound
      policies are required which must be understood and supported by the people.
      But there is good evidence that the generation coming of age at the present
      time is supportive of moving in the direction of more liberty and
      self-reliance. The more this change in direction and the solutions become known,
      the quicker will be the return of optimism.
      Our job, for those of us who believe that a different system than the one
      that we have had for the last 100 years, has driven us to this
      unsustainable crisis, is to be more convincing that there is a wonderful,
      uncomplicated, and moral system that provides the answers. We had a taste of it in
      our early history. We need not give up on the notion of advancing this cause.
      It worked, but we allowed our leaders to concentrate on the material
      abundance that freedom generates, while ignoring freedom itself. Now we have
      neither, but the door is open, out of necessity, for an answer. The answer
      available is based on the Constitution, individual liberty and prohibiting
      the use of government force to provide privileges and benefits to all
      special interests.
      After over 100 years we face a society quite different from the one that
      was intended by the Founders. In many ways their efforts to protect future
      generations with the Constitution from this danger has failed. Skeptics,
      at the time the Constitution was written in 1787, warned us of today’s
      possible outcome. The insidious nature of the erosion of our liberties and the
      reassurance our great abundance gave us, allowed the process to evolve into
      the dangerous period in which we now live.
      Dependency on Government Largesse
      Today we face a dependency on government largesse for almost every need.
      Our liberties are restricted and government operates outside the rule of
      law, protecting and rewarding those who buy or coerce government into
      satisfying their demands. Here are a few examples:
      * Undeclared wars are commonplace.
      * Welfare for the rich and poor is considered an entitlement.
      * The economy is overregulated, overtaxed and grossly distorted by a
      deeply flawed monetary system.
      * Debt is growing exponentially.
      * The Patriot Act and FISA legislation passed without much debate
      have resulted in a steady erosion of our 4th Amendment rights.
      * Tragically our government engages in preemptive war, otherwise
      known as aggression, with no complaints from the American people.
      * The drone warfare we are pursuing worldwide is destined to end
      badly for us as the hatred builds for innocent lives lost and the international
      laws flaunted. Once we are financially weakened and militarily challenged,
      there will be a lot resentment thrown our way.
      * It’s now the law of the land that the military can arrest American
      citizens, hold them indefinitely, without charges or a trial.
      * Rampant hostility toward free trade is supported by a large number
      in Washington.
      * Supporters of sanctions, currency manipulation and WTO trade
      retaliation, call the true free traders “isolationists.”
      * Sanctions are used to punish countries that don’t follow our
      * Bailouts and guarantees for all kinds of misbehavior are routine.
      * Central economic planning through monetary policy, regulations and
      legislative mandates has been an acceptable policy.
      Excessive government has created such a mess it prompts many questions:
      * Why are sick people who use medical marijuana put in prison?
      * Why does the federal government restrict the drinking of raw milk?
      * Why can’t Americans manufacturer rope and other products from hemp?
      * Why are Americans not allowed to use gold and silver as legal
      tender as mandated by the Constitution?
      * Why is Germany concerned enough to consider repatriating their gold
      held by the FED for her in New York? Is it that the trust in the U.S. and
      dollar supremacy beginning to wane?
      * Why do our political leaders believe it’s unnecessary to thoroughly
      audit our own gold?
      * Why can’t Americans decide which type of light bulbs they can buy?
      * Why is the TSA permitted to abuse the rights of any American
      traveling by air?
      * Why should there be mandatory sentences—even up to life for crimes
      without victims—as our drug laws require?
      * Why have we allowed the federal government to regulate commodes in
      our homes?
      * Why is it political suicide for anyone to criticize AIPAC ?
      * Why haven’t we given up on the drug war since it’s an obvious
      failure and violates the people’s rights? Has nobody noticed that the
      authorities can’t even keep drugs out of the prisons? How can making our entire
      society a prison solve the problem?
      * Why do we sacrifice so much getting needlessly involved in border
      disputes and civil strife around the world and ignore the root cause of the
      most deadly border in the world-the one between Mexico and the US?
      * Why does Congress willingly give up its prerogatives to the
      Executive Branch?
      * Why does changing the party in power never change policy? Could it
      be that the views of both parties are essentially the same?
      * Why did the big banks, the large corporations, and foreign banks
      and foreign central banks get bailed out in 2008 and the middle class lost
      their jobs and their homes?
      * Why do so many in the government and the federal officials believe
      that creating money out of thin air creates wealth?
      * Why do so many accept the deeply flawed principle that government
      bureaucrats and politicians can protect us from ourselves without totally
      destroying the principle of liberty?
      * Why can’t people understand that war always destroys wealth and
      * Why is there so little concern for the Executive Order that gives
      the President authority to establish a “kill list,” including American
      citizens, of those targeted for assassination?
      * Why is patriotism thought to be blind loyalty to the government and
      the politicians who run it, rather than loyalty to the principles of
      liberty and support for the people? Real patriotism is a willingness to
      challenge the government when it’s wrong.
      * Why is it is claimed that if people won’t or can’t take care of
      their own needs, that people in government can do it for them?
      * Why did we ever give the government a safe haven for initiating
      violence against the people?
      * Why do some members defend free markets, but not civil liberties?
      * Why do some members defend civil liberties but not free markets?
      Aren’t they the same?
      * Why don’t more defend both economic liberty and personal liberty?
      * Why are there not more individuals who seek to intellectually
      influence others to bring about positive changes than those who seek power to
      force others to obey their commands?
      * Why does the use of religion to support a social gospel and
      preemptive wars, both of which requires authoritarians to use violence, or the
      threat of violence, go unchallenged? Aggression and forced redistribution of
      wealth has nothing to do with the teachings of the world great religions.
      * Why do we allow the government and the Federal Reserve to
      disseminate false information dealing with both economic and foreign policy?
      * Why is democracy held in such high esteem when it’s the enemy of
      the minority and makes all rights relative to the dictates of the majority?
      * Why should anyone be surprised that Congress has no credibility,
      since there’s such a disconnect between what politicians say and what they
      * Is there any explanation for all the deception, the unhappiness,
      the fear of the future, the loss of confidence in our leaders, the distrust,
      the anger and frustration? Yes there is, and there’s a way to reverse
      these attitudes. The negative perceptions are logical and a consequence of
      bad policies bringing about our problems. Identification of the problems and
      recognizing the cause allow the proper changes to come easy.
      Trust Yourself, Not the Government
      Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in
      government and not enough in themselves. Fortunately, many are now
      becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several
      decades. The blame is shared by both political parties. Many Americans now are
      demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to
      stop. Without this first step, solutions are impossible.
      Seeking the truth and finding the answers in liberty and self-reliance
      promotes the optimism necessary for restoring prosperity. The task is not
      that difficult if politics doesn’t get in the way.
      We have allowed ourselves to get into such a mess for various reasons.
      Politicians deceive themselves as to how wealth is produced. Excessive
      confidence is placed in the judgment of politicians and bureaucrats. This
      replaces the confidence in a free society. Too many in high places of
      authority became convinced that only they, armed with arbitrary government
      power, can bring about fairness, while facilitating wealth production. This
      always proves to be a utopian dream and destroys wealth and liberty. It
      impoverishes the people and rewards the special interests who end up
      controlling both political parties.
      It’s no surprise then that much of what goes on in Washington is driven by
      aggressive partisanship and power seeking, with philosophic differences
      being minor.
      Economic Ignorance
      Economic ignorance is commonplace. Keynesianism continues to thrive,
      although today it is facing healthy and enthusiastic rebuttals. Believers in
      military Keynesianism and domestic Keynesianism continue to desperately
      promote their failed policies, as the economy languishes in a deep slumber.
      Supporters of all government edicts use humanitarian arguments to justify
      Humanitarian arguments are always used to justify government mandates
      related to the economy, monetary policy, foreign policy, and personal liberty.
      This is on purpose to make it more difficult to challenge. But, initiating
      violence for humanitarian reasons is still violence. Good intentions are
      no excuse and are just as harmful as when people use force with bad
      intentions. The results are always negative.
      The immoral use of force is the source of man’s political problems.
      Sadly, many religious groups, secular organizations, and psychopathic
      authoritarians endorse government initiated force to change the world. Even when the
      desired goals are well-intentioned—or especially when well-intentioned—
      the results are dismal. The good results sought never materialize. The new
      problems created require even more government force as a solution. The net
      result is institutionalizing government initiated violence and morally
      justifying it on humanitarian grounds.
      This is the same fundamental reason our government uses force for
      invading other countries at will, central economic planning at home, and the
      regulation of personal liberty and habits of our citizens.
      It is rather strange, that unless one has a criminal mind and no respect
      for other people and their property, no one claims it’s permissible to go
      into one’s neighbor’s house and tell them how to behave, what they can eat,
      smoke and drink or how to spend their money.
      Yet, rarely is it asked why it is morally acceptable that a stranger with a
      badge and a gun can do the same thing in the name of law and order. Any
      resistance is met with brute force, fines, taxes, arrests, and even
      imprisonment. This is done more frequently every day without a proper search
      No Government Monopoly over Initiating Violence
      Restraining aggressive behavior is one thing, but legalizing a government
      monopoly for initiating aggression can only lead to exhausting liberty
      associated with chaos, anger and the breakdown of civil society. Permitting
      such authority and expecting saintly behavior from the bureaucrats and the
      politicians is a pipe dream. We now have a standing army of armed
      bureaucrats in the TSA, CIA, FBI, Fish and Wildlife, FEMA, IRS, Corp of Engineers,
      etc. numbering over 100,000. Citizens are guilty until proven innocent in
      the unconstitutional administrative courts.
      Government in a free society should have no authority to meddle in social
      activities or the economic transactions of individuals. Nor should
      government meddle in the affairs of other nations. All things peaceful, even when
      controversial, should be permitted.
      We must reject the notion of prior restraint in economic activity just we
      do in the area of free speech and religious liberty. But even in these areas
      government is starting to use a backdoor approach of political correctness
      to regulate speech-a dangerous trend. Since 9/11 monitoring speech on the
      internet is now a problem since warrants are no longer required.
      The Proliferation of Federal Crimes
      The Constitution established four federal crimes. Today the experts can’t
      even agree on how many federal crimes are now on the books—they number
      into the thousands. No one person can comprehend the enormity of the legal
      system—especially the tax code. Due to the ill-advised drug war and the
      endless federal expansion of the criminal code we have over 6 million people
      under correctional suspension, more than the Soviets ever had, and more than
      any other nation today, including China. I don’t understand the complacency
      of the Congress and the willingness to continue their obsession with
      passing more Federal laws. Mandatory sentencing laws associated with drug laws
      have compounded our prison problems.
      The federal register is now 75,000 pages long and the tax code has 72,000
      pages, and expands every year. When will the people start shouting, “
      enough is enough,” and demand Congress cease and desist.
      Achieving Liberty
      Liberty can only be achieved when government is denied the aggressive use
      of force. If one seeks liberty, a precise type of government is needed.
      To achieve it, more than lip service is required.
      Two choices are available.
      1. A government designed to protect liberty—a natural right—as its
      sole objective. The people are expected to care for themselves and reject
      the use of any force for interfering with another person’s liberty.
      Government is given a strictly limited authority to enforce contracts, property
      ownership, settle disputes, and defend against foreign aggression.
      2. A government that pretends to protect liberty but is granted power
      to arbitrarily use force over the people and foreign nations. Though the
      grant of power many times is meant to be small and limited, it inevitably
      metastasizes into an omnipotent political cancer. This is the problem for
      which the world has suffered throughout the ages. Though meant to be
      limited it nevertheless is a 100% sacrifice of a principle that would-be-tyrants
      find irresistible. It is used vigorously—though incrementally and
      insidiously. Granting power to government officials always proves the adage that:
      “power corrupts.”
      Once government gets a limited concession for the use of force to mold
      people habits and plan the economy, it causes a steady move toward tyrannical
      government. Only a revolutionary spirit can reverse the process and deny
      to the government this arbitrary use of aggression. There’s no in-between.
      Sacrificing a little liberty for imaginary safety always ends badly.
      Today’s mess is a result of Americans accepting option #2, even though the
      Founders attempted to give us Option #1.
      The results are not good. As our liberties have been eroded our wealth
      has been consumed. The wealth we see today is based on debt and a foolish
      willingness on the part of foreigners to take our dollars for goods and
      services. They then loan them back to us to perpetuate our debt system. It’s
      amazing that it has worked for this long but the impasse in Washington, in
      solving our problems indicate that many are starting to understand the
      seriousness of the world -wide debt crisis and the dangers we face. The longer
      this process continues the harsher the outcome will be.
      The Financial Crisis Is a Moral Crisis
      Many are now acknowledging that a financial crisis looms but few understand
      it’s, in reality, a moral crisis. It’s the moral crisis that has allowed
      our liberties to be undermined and permits the exponential growth of
      illegal government power. Without a clear understanding of the nature of the
      crisis it will be difficult to prevent a steady march toward tyranny and the
      poverty that will accompany it.
      Ultimately, the people have to decide which form of government they want;
      option #1 or option #2. There is no other choice. Claiming there is a
      choice of a “little” tyranny is like describing pregnancy as a “touch of
      pregnancy.” It is a myth to believe that a mixture of free markets and
      government central economic planning is a worthy compromise. What we see today is
      a result of that type of thinking. And the results speak for themselves.
      A Culture of Violence
      American now suffers from a culture of violence. It’s easy to reject the
      initiation of violence against one’s neighbor but it’s ironic that the
      people arbitrarily and freely anoint government officials with monopoly power
      to initiate violence against the American people—practically at will.
      Because it’s the government that initiates force, most people accept it as
      being legitimate. Those who exert the force have no sense of guilt. It
      is believed by too many that governments are morally justified in initiating
      force supposedly to “do good.” They incorrectly believe that this
      authority has come from the “consent of the people.” The minority, or victims
      of government violence never consented to suffer the abuse of government
      mandates, even when dictated by the majority. Victims of TSA excesses never
      consented to this abuse.
      This attitude has given us a policy of initiating war to “do good,” as
      well. It is claimed that war, to prevent war for noble purposes, is justified.
      This is similar to what we were once told that: “destroying a village to
      save a village” was justified. It was said by a US Secretary of State
      that the loss of 500,000 Iraqis, mostly children, in the 1990s, as a result of
      American bombs and sanctions, was “worth it” to achieve the “good” we
      brought to the Iraqi people. And look at the mess that Iraq is in today.
      Government use of force to mold social and economic behavior at home and
      abroad has justified individuals using force on their own terms. The fact
      that violence by government is seen as morally justified, is the reason why
      violence will increase when the big financial crisis hits and becomes a
      political crisis as well.
      First, we recognize that individuals shouldn’t initiate violence, then we
      give the authority to government. Eventually, the immoral use of
      government violence, when things goes badly, will be used to justify an individual’
      s “right” to do the same thing. Neither the government nor individuals
      have the moral right to initiate violence against another yet we are moving
      toward the day when both will claim this authority. If this cycle is not
      reversed society will break down.
      When needs are pressing, conditions deteriorate and rights become relative
      to the demands and the whims of the majority. It’s then not a great leap
      for individuals to take it upon themselves to use violence to get what they
      claim is theirs. As the economy deteriorates and the wealth discrepancies
      increase—as are already occurring— violence increases as those in need
      take it in their own hands to get what they believe is theirs. They will not
      wait for a government rescue program.
      When government officials wield power over others to bail out the special
      interests, even with disastrous results to the average citizen, they feel no
      guilt for the harm they do. Those who take us into undeclared wars with
      many casualties resulting, never lose sleep over the death and destruction
      their bad decisions caused. They are convinced that what they do is morally
      justified, and the fact that many suffer just can’t be helped.
      When the street criminals do the same thing, they too have no remorse,
      believing they are only taking what is rightfully theirs. All moral standards
      become relative. Whether it’s bailouts, privileges, government subsidies
      or benefits for some from inflating a currency, it’s all part of a process
      justified by a philosophy of forced redistribution of wealth. Violence, or
      a threat of such, is the instrument required and unfortunately is of
      little concern of most members of Congress.
      Some argue it’s only a matter of “fairness” that those in need are cared
      for. There are two problems with this. First, the principle is used to
      provide a greater amount of benefits to the rich than the poor. Second, no one
      seems to be concerned about whether or not it’s fair to those who end up
      paying for the benefits. The costs are usually placed on the backs of the
      middle class and are hidden from the public eye. Too many people believe
      government handouts are free, like printing money out of thin air, and there is
      no cost. That deception is coming to an end. The bills are coming due and
      that’s what the economic slowdown is all about.
      Sadly, we have become accustomed to living with the illegitimate use of
      force by government. It is the tool for telling the people how to live, what
      to eat and drink, what to read and how to spend their money.
      To develop a truly free society, the issue of initiating force must be
      understood and rejected. Granting to government even a small amount of force
      is a dangerous concession.
      Limiting Government Excesses vs. a Virtuous Moral People
      Our Constitution, which was intended to limit government power and abuse,
      has failed. The Founders warned that a free society depends on a virtuous
      and moral people. The current crisis reflects that their concerns were
      Most politicians and pundits are aware of the problems we face but spend
      all their time in trying to reform government. The sad part is that the
      suggested reforms almost always lead to less freedom and the importance of a
      virtuous and moral people is either ignored, or not understood. The new
      reforms serve only to further undermine liberty. The compounding effect has
      given us this steady erosion of liberty and the massive expansion of debt.
      The real question is: if it is liberty we seek, should most of the emphasis
      be placed on government reform or trying to understand what “a virtuous and
      moral people” means and how to promote it. The Constitution has not
      prevented the people from demanding handouts for both rich and poor in their
      efforts to reform the government, while ignoring the principles of a free
      society. All branches of our government today are controlled by individuals who
      use their power to undermine liberty and enhance the welfare/warfare
      state-and frequently their own wealth and power.
      If the people are unhappy with the government performance it must be
      recognized that government is merely a reflection of an immoral society that
      rejected a moral government of constitutional limitations of power and love of
      If this is the problem all the tinkering with thousands of pages of new
      laws and regulations will do nothing to solve the problem.
      It is self-evident that our freedoms have been severely limited and the
      apparent prosperity we still have, is nothing more than leftover wealth from a
      previous time. This fictitious wealth based on debt and benefits from a
      false trust in our currency and credit, will play havoc with our society
      when the bills come due. This means that the full consequence of our lost
      liberties is yet to be felt.
      But that illusion is now ending. Reversing a downward spiral depends on
      accepting a new approach.
      Expect the rapidly expanding homeschooling movement to play a significant
      role in the revolutionary reforms needed to build a free society with
      Constitutional protections. We cannot expect a Federal government controlled
      school system to provide the intellectual ammunition to combat the dangerous
      growth of government that threatens our liberties.
      The internet will provide the alternative to the government/media complex
      that controls the news and most political propaganda. This is why it’s
      essential that the internet remains free of government regulation.
      Many of our religious institutions and secular organizations support
      greater dependency on the state by supporting war, welfare and corporatism and
      ignore the need for a virtuous people.
      I never believed that the world or our country could be made more free by
      politicians, if the people had no desire for freedom.
      Under the current circumstances the most we can hope to achieve in the
      political process is to use it as a podium to reach the people to alert them of
      the nature of the crisis and the importance of their need to assume
      responsibility for themselves, if it is liberty that they truly seek. Without
      this, a constitutionally protected free society is impossible.
      If this is true, our individual goal in life ought to be for us to seek
      virtue and excellence and recognize that self-esteem and happiness only comes
      from using one’s natural ability, in the most productive manner possible,
      according to one’s own talents.
      Productivity and creativity are the true source of personal satisfaction.
      Freedom, and not dependency, provides the environment needed to achieve
      these goals. Government cannot do this for us; it only gets in the way. When
      the government gets involved, the goal becomes a bailout or a subsidy and
      these cannot provide a sense of personal achievement.
      Achieving legislative power and political influence should not be our goal.
      Most of the change, if it is to come, will not come from the politicians,
      but rather from individuals, family, friends, intellectual leaders and our
      religious institutions. The solution can only come from rejecting the use
      of coercion, compulsion, government commands, and aggressive force, to mold
      social and economic behavior. Without accepting these restraints,
      inevitably the consensus will be to allow the government to mandate economic
      equality and obedience to the politicians who gain power and promote an
      environment that smothers the freedoms of everyone. It is then that the responsible
      individuals who seek excellence and self-esteem by being self-reliance and
      productive, become the true victims.

      What are the greatest dangers that the American people face today and
      impede the goal of a free society? There are five.
      1. The continuous attack on our civil liberties which threatens the rule
      of law and our ability to resist the onrush of tyranny.
      2. Violent anti-Americanism that has engulfed the world. Because the
      phenomenon of “blow-back” is not understood or denied, our foreign policy is
      destined to keep us involved in many wars that we have no business being in.
      National bankruptcy and a greater threat to our national security will
      3. The ease in which we go to war, without a declaration by Congress, but
      accepting international authority from the UN or NATO even for preemptive
      wars, otherwise known as aggression.

      4. A financial political crisis as a consequence of excessive debt,
      unfunded liabilities, spending, bailouts, and gross discrepancy in wealth
      distribution going from the middle class to the rich. The danger of central
      economic planning, by the Federal Reserve must be understood.
      5. World government taking over local and US sovereignty by getting
      involved in the issues of war, welfare, trade, banking, a world currency,
      taxes, property ownership, and private ownership of guns.
      Happily, there is an answer for these very dangerous trends.
      What a wonderful world it would be if everyone accepted the simple moral
      premise of rejecting all acts of aggression. The retort to such a
      suggestion is always: it’s too simplistic, too idealistic, impractical, naïve,
      utopian, dangerous, and unrealistic to strive for such an ideal.
      The answer to that is that for thousands of years the acceptance of
      government force, to rule over the people, at the sacrifice of liberty, was
      considered moral and the only available option for achieving peace and
      What could be more utopian than that myth—considering the results
      especially looking at the state sponsored killing, by nearly every government during
      the 20th Century, estimated to be in the hundreds of millions. It’s time
      to reconsider this grant of authority to the state.
      No good has ever come from granting monopoly power to the state to use
      aggression against the people to arbitrarily mold human behavior. Such power,
      when left unchecked, becomes the seed of an ugly tyranny. This method of
      governance has been adequately tested, and the results are in: reality
      dictates we try liberty.
      The idealism of non-aggression and rejecting all offensive use of force
      should be tried. The idealism of government sanctioned violence has been
      abused throughout history and is the primary source of poverty and war. The
      theory of a society being based on individual freedom has been around for a
      long time. It’s time to take a bold step and actually permit it by
      advancing this cause, rather than taking a step backwards as some would like us to
      Today the principle of habeas corpus, established when King John signed the
      Magna Carta in 1215, is under attack. There’s every reason to believe that
      a renewed effort with the use of the internet that we can instead advance
      the cause of liberty by spreading an uncensored message that will serve to
      rein in government authority and challenge the obsession with war and
      What I’m talking about is a system of government guided by the moral
      principles of peace and tolerance.
      The Founders were convinced that a free society could not exist without a
      moral people. Just writing rules won’t work if the people choose to ignore
      them. Today the rule of law written in the Constitution has little meaning
      for most Americans, especially those who work in Washington DC.
      Benjamin Franklin claimed “only a virtuous people are capable of freedom.”
      John Adams concurred: “Our Constitution was made for a moral and
      religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”
      A moral people must reject all violence in an effort to mold people’s
      beliefs or habits.
      A society that boos or ridicules the Golden Rule is not a moral society.
      All great religions endorse the Golden Rule. The same moral standards that
      individuals are required to follow should apply to all government
      officials. They cannot be exempt.
      The ultimate solution is not in the hands of the government.
      The solution falls on each and every individual, with guidance from family,
      friends and community.
      The #1 responsibility for each of us is to change ourselves with hope that
      others will follow. This is of greater importance than working on changing
      the government; that is secondary to promoting a virtuous society. If we
      can achieve this, then the government will change.
      It doesn’t mean that political action or holding office has no value. At
      times it does nudge policy in the right direction. But what is true is that
      when seeking office is done for personal aggrandizement, money or power, it
      becomes useless if not harmful. When political action is taken for the
      right reasons it’s easy to understand why compromise should be avoided. It also
      becomes clear why progress is best achieved by working with coalitions,
      which bring people together, without anyone sacrificing his principles.
      Political action, to be truly beneficial, must be directed toward changing
      the hearts and minds of the people, recognizing that it’s the virtue and
      morality of the people that allow liberty to flourish.
      The Constitution or more laws per se, have no value if the people’s
      attitudes aren’t changed.
      To achieve liberty and peace, two powerful human emotions have to be
      overcome. Number one is “envy” which leads to hate and class warfare. Number
      two is “intolerance” which leads to bigoted and judgmental policies.
      These emotions must be replaced with a much better understanding of love,
      compassion, tolerance and free market economics. Freedom, when understood,
      brings people together. When tried, freedom is popular.
      The problem we have faced over the years has been that economic
      interventionists are swayed by envy, whereas social interventionists are swayed by
      intolerance of habits and lifestyles. The misunderstanding that tolerance is
      an endorsement of certain activities, motivates many to legislate moral
      standards which should only be set by individuals making their own choices.
      Both sides use force to deal with these misplaced emotions. Both are
      authoritarians. Neither endorses voluntarism. Both views ought to be rejected.
      I have come to one firm conviction after these many years of trying to
      figure out “the plain truth of things.” The best chance for achieving peace
      and prosperity, for the maximum number of people world-wide, is to pursue
      the cause of LIBERTY.
      If you find this to be a worthwhile message, spread it throughout the land.