Re: [infoguys-list] Re: ISPLA News: Bad PI Press

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2012
      Rick -

      I haven't had the time to respond to your inquiry earlier but I will take a
      few quick seconds to type out a response. I do so because I do not
      totally agree with your presumptions.

      For starters, how positive are you that none of the accused have ever had a
      felony conviction? I'm just curious as to where you got that information.

      Second, I have known quite a few idiots through the years who were able to
      get their PI licenses either back or for the first time post felony
      conviction. A. Michael Pascal from Massachusetts was one who came to CA and
      obtained a license after having been convicted of attempted murder. I find it
      absolutely ludicrous that such an obliquitous person should actually die
      awaiting sentencing in the Los Angeles County Jail after having been convicted
      of murder.

      Another one that comes to mind right away is Andrew Paul Delio. Although
      he has been released from federal custody after having served his more
      recent time, I was shocked that they ever gave him his license back since he was
      convicted back in the 90's for carrying a loaded weapon on an airplane,
      impersonating a federal officer and some other related charges. He was bad
      news then and he's bad news now. I was even angrier with the state (BSIS)
      for allowing him to use a company name of Office of Special Investigations
      while he used the FBI building in West L.A. as his address. Yep, they have
      a post office in their lobby and he had a PO Box there. UGH !!! He was
      also a member of CALI and they didn't seem to mind. UGH again !!!

      Anyway, Rick, the reason why it is not a wise decision for the most part to
      use a convict for your investigations, especially in criminal cases, is
      because of the appearance of impropriety that will be presented to the jury
      by opposing counsel. How can anyone believe a convicted felon is the
      argument that is always presented. How credible can they be?

      Stay healthy and happy !!

      Sue

      In a message dated 10/2/2012 11:50:40 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
      rmriinc@... writes:

      Group,

      I want to say something here.... This is a point that I have been trying
      to make for a LONG time.. Now, I can't give you an clear and compelling
      reason for what is happening, or any substance as to why what I am about to
      post is true; but it damned sure seems to be true...

      I first want to thank Peter for tracking these kinds of articles, and I'd
      like to see more of these incidents tracked, perhaps even put in a database
      somewhere.. But I doubt we'll ever see that.... Maybe, I can hope.

      I always see people in our industry STRONGLY advocating that a person with
      a felony conviction should not be in the PI Business. And I realize that
      this post is "self-serving" because I have a felony conviction in my past;
      let me assure you I fully understand that this observation should have come
      from someone else...

      ALL of these "Dipsticks" listed below in Peter's articles did NOT have a
      felony conviction on their record.. Nor did Anthony Pellicano at the time of
      his charges... Yet these are the people that are committing crimes in our
      business, abusing their licensing "privileges", and just plain old acting
      irresponsibly.

      It seems to me that a felony conviction in no way can predict if a person
      with a PI License will behave irresponsibly in the PI Business. It seems to
      me that the people that ARE behaving irresponsibly are the people with
      what appears to be "clean backgrounds". I don't know why? I am not saying that
      having a felony in your background is an indicator that you WON'T screw
      up. I am not saying that if you have a clean background people should be
      skeptical of you.. But the stats seem to indicate that most of the people that
      are behaving badly in our profession is the people that have backgrounds
      that indicate that they would NOT behave badly in this profession.

      Perhaps the person with the felony in their background may be inclined to
      be a little more careful about how they conduct theirselves because they
      already have "one strike against them"?

      I'd like someone to find all of the incidents like these shown below and
      and average out how many of them were committed by felons in the PI Business
      and how many were committed by non-felons in the Pi Business; and give a
      percentage of how many felons with PI Licenses are actually re-offending
      when they are given a second chance and are allowed to have a PI License, and
      I suspect for that matter any type of a professional license..

      I think it is too early to draw any conclusions, but I think this might be
      a GOOD study project to suggest for a sociology student at a college. I
      may just do that.....

      Ricky B. Gurley

      Agency License Number: 2011001124

      Director of Operations: Ricky Gurley
      Private Investigator License Number: 2011001072

      Direct Office Number: (573) 234-6876
      Office Phone: (573) 234-4647 Ext. 110
      Car Phone: (573) 529-0808
      Cell Phone: (573) 529-4476
      Toll Free Phone: (888) 571-0958
      Toll Free Fax: (877) 795-9800
      EMERGENCY LINE: (573) 234-4871

      RMRI, Inc. Website
      _http://www.rmriinc.com_ (http://www.rmriinc.com/)

      RMRI, Inc. Blog
      _http://rmriinc.wordpress.com_ (http://rmriinc.wordpress.com/)

      --- In _infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com_

      <_http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/26/christopher-butler_n_1917683.html_

      <_http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/564581/Private-investig_

      <_http://downtown.wmctv.com/news/news/83695-private-investigator-accused-stea_

      <_http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Private-eye-lands-in-public-trouble_

      <_http://www.pressherald.com/news/New-judge-assigned-to-Kennebunk-prostitutio_
      (http://www.pressherald.com/news/New-judge-assigned-to-Kennebunk-prostitutio)
      > n-case.html>

      _http://www.pressherald.com/news/New-judge-assigned-to-Kennebunk-prostitution_
      (http://www.pressherald.com/news/New-judge-assigned-to-Kennebunk-prostitution)
      > -case.html
      >
      > PORTLAND, ME - A new judge, Justice Nancy Mills, has been assigned in a
      > prostitution case. Mark Strong, a 57-year-old Thomaston insurance agent
      and
      > private investigator, is charged with promotion of prostitution, a
      > misdemeanor.

    • webmail007
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2012
        More important than anything else, I learned a new word today.

        Steven.

        Steven Rambam.
        Pallorium, Inc.
        www.pallorium.com

        direct email: rambam@...
        USA Tel. 212-969-0286

        -- This message has been sent from my mobile device; please excuse the brevity and any typos.

        PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS, ESPECIALLY IF YOUR MESSAGE IS URGENT OR CONFIDENTIAL. Please respond to: rambam@....

        On Oct 4, 2012, at 0:40, suesarkis@... wrote:

        > obliquitous
      • RickyG
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2012
          Sue,

          I understand the argument as far as testimony goes, but personally speaking I have ever had a problem with fielding such inquiries on the stand.... You can tell when a Jury is listening to you, if they believe you, if they hold your past indiscretions against you; if you watch them as carefully as they are watching you. I have never gotten the notion that my felony conviction was that much of an obstacle to overcome on the stand... It is what it is.... And I have been GRILLED by Prosecutors over my felony conviction. It just simply did not seem like that significant of an issue to anyone, and you can bet that if I missed something the attorney I was working for was watching the Jury and none of those attorneys missed anything.....

          I don't know if any of these people have felonies. But notice that I did quite a bit of prefacing prior to bring up the gist of my post... I do think it is a fair assumption that there are a very few convicted felons in this business, or at least a fairly small percentage. I suspect... Just a suspicion.... But I suspect that you will find that maybe one out of the list Peter gave us has a felony conviction in their past. I also suspect, that prior to Anthony Pelicano's conviction he had no felonies in his background... But you may know this better than I do.... One must keep in mind that even if my suspicions are correct, the incidents we have seen are only an extremely low percentage of total incidents in our business.

          I did speak with a Professor in the Sociology Department of Columbia College today. He seemed VERY interested in trying to get a research project started on this very issue, after I bought it to his attention.

          Maybe in the not too distant future we will have some research to fall back on, in regards to this topic Sue..........

          Ricky B. Gurley

          RMRI, Inc.
          http://www.rmriinc.com