ISPLA News: Bad PI Press

  • Peter Psarouthakis
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2012
      September was not a great press month for the Private Investigation
      profession. Below are just some of the negative press stories reported on
      around the country last month. With Congress and most state legislatures
      currently on recess until after the elections it is important to be aware of
      these types of events if you or your state associations are working on any
      type of legislative agendas. Rest assured that those groups that generally
      oppose the investigation profession are monitoring these types of media
      coverage and will use them to their advantage if given the
      opportunity.-ISPLA

      <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/26/christopher-butler_n_1917683.html>
      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/26/christopher-butler_n_1917683.html

      OAKLAND, CA - A disgraced former California police officer involved in the
      sensational "Dirty DUIs" scandal in which he acknowledged stealing drugs
      from law enforcement and setting up men for drunken driving arrests was
      sentenced to eight years in federal prison. Christopher Butler was sentenced
      recently after he pleaded guilty in May to robbery, conspiracy and extortion
      as part of a plea deal. The 51-year-old former Antioch police
      officer-turned-private investigator also was at the center of the drug task
      force scandal in Contra Costa County. In a federal indictment filed against
      a California attorney charged with conspiracy to unlawfully intercept
      communications, Butler is identified as having installed listening devices
      in vehicles and in cellular phones.

      <http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/564581/Private-investig
      ator-accused-of-stalking-ex-wife.html?nav=742>
      http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/564581/Private-investiga
      tor-accused-of-stalking-ex-wife.html?nav=742

      ALTOONA, PA - A private investigator is free on bail after his arrest for
      allegedly stalking his ex-wife.

      <http://downtown.wmctv.com/news/news/83695-private-investigator-accused-stea
      ling-wealthy-peoples-personal-info#.UGDOIpuoY8A.mailto>
      http://downtown.wmctv.com/news/news/83695-private-investigator-accused-steal
      ing-wealthy-peoples-personal-info#.UGDOIpuoY8A.mailto

      MEMPHIS, TN - Charged with stealing and selling wealthy people's personal
      information, Dennis Clark is a private investigator who has been licensed in
      the state of Tennessee since May 1993. The secret service says he was using
      his access for ill-gotten gains. Now, Clark is charged with identity theft
      and computer crimes. He is in jail on a $100,000 bond.

      <http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Private-eye-lands-in-public-trouble
      -3872765.php>
      http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Private-eye-lands-in-public-trouble-
      3872765.php

      BROOKLYN, NY - A private investigator has been charged by state officials
      with professional misconduct for allegedly threatening and intimidating
      witnesses in violation of the law in a NXIVM - related legal proceeding,
      according to a complaint from the NY Department of State. As a result,
      Steven P. Rombom must appear before a state administrative law tribunal in
      Albany, NY on Oct. 25, 2012.

      <http://www.pressherald.com/news/New-judge-assigned-to-Kennebunk-prostitutio
      n-case.html>
      http://www.pressherald.com/news/New-judge-assigned-to-Kennebunk-prostitution
      -case.html

      PORTLAND, ME - A new judge, Justice Nancy Mills, has been assigned in a
      prostitution case. Mark Strong, a 57-year-old Thomaston insurance agent and
      private investigator, is charged with promotion of prostitution, a
      misdemeanor.

    • MitchD
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2012
        looks like a few folks have been busy....damn...

        Mitch Davis
        TSCM/Special Operations Group Inc.
        20 Music Square West,Suite 208
        Nashville, TN. 37203 USA
        615.251.0441
        Fax 615.523.0300
        www.tscmusa.com

        Technical Investigation Services
        Handheld Communication Forensics/GPS forensics
        Technical Surveillance Experts
        Expert Witness Services

        Notice:This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.
        If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination
        or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying it and notify
        the sender by reply e-mail so that the email address record can be corrected. Thank you.

        On 10/2/2012 9:23 AM, Peter Psarouthakis wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > BROOKLYN, NY - A private investigator has been charged by state officials
        > with professional misconduct for allegedly threatening and intimidating
        > witnesses in violation of the law in a NXIVM - related legal proceeding,
        > according to a complaint from the NY Department of State. As a result,
        > Steven P. Rombom must appear before a state administrative law tribunal in
        > Albany, NY on Oct. 25, 2012.
        >
        > <http://www.pressherald.com/news/New-judge-assigned-to-Kennebunk-prostitutio
        > n-case.html>
        > http://www.pressherald.com/news/New-judge-assigned-to-Kennebunk-prostitution
        > -case.html
        >
        > PORTLAND, ME - A new judge, Justice Nancy Mills, has been assigned in a
        > prostitution case. Mark Strong, a 57-year-old Thomaston insurance
        > agent and
        > private investigator, is charged with promotion of prostitution, a

      • rmriinc
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 2, 2012
          Group,

          I want to say something here.... This is a point that I have been trying to make for a LONG time.. Now, I can't give you an clear and compelling reason for what is happening, or any substance as to why what I am about to post is true; but it damned sure seems to be true...

          I first want to thank Peter for tracking these kinds of articles, and I'd like to see more of these incidents tracked, perhaps even put in a database somewhere.. But I doubt we'll ever see that.... Maybe, I can hope.

          I always see people in our industry STRONGLY advocating that a person with a felony conviction should not be in the PI Business. And I realize that this post is "self-serving" because I have a felony conviction in my past; let me assure you I fully understand that this observation should have come from someone else...

          ALL of these "Dipsticks" listed below in Peter's articles did NOT have a felony conviction on their record.. Nor did Anthony Pellicano at the time of his charges... Yet these are the people that are committing crimes in our business, abusing their licensing "privileges", and just plain old acting irresponsibly.

          It seems to me that a felony conviction in no way can predict if a person with a PI License will behave irresponsibly in the PI Business. It seems to me that the people that ARE behaving irresponsibly are the people with what appears to be "clean backgrounds". I don't know why? I am not saying that having a felony in your background is an indicator that you WON'T screw up. I am not saying that if you have a clean background people should be skeptical of you.. But the stats seem to indicate that most of the people that are behaving badly in our profession is the people that have backgrounds that indicate that they would NOT behave badly in this profession.

          Perhaps the person with the felony in their background may be inclined to be a little more careful about how they conduct theirselves because they already have "one strike against them"?

          I'd like someone to find all of the incidents like these shown below and and average out how many of them were committed by felons in the PI Business and how many were committed by non-felons in the Pi Business; and give a percentage of how many felons with PI Licenses are actually re-offending when they are given a second chance and are allowed to have a PI License, and I suspect for that matter any type of a professional license..

          I think it is too early to draw any conclusions, but I think this might be a GOOD study project to suggest for a sociology student at a college. I may just do that.....

          Ricky B. Gurley

          Agency License Number: 2011001124

          Director of Operations: Ricky Gurley
          Private Investigator License Number: 2011001072

          Direct Office Number: (573) 234-6876
          Office Phone: (573) 234-4647 Ext. 110
          Car Phone: (573) 529-0808
          Cell Phone: (573) 529-4476
          Toll Free Phone: (888) 571-0958
          Toll Free Fax: (877) 795-9800
          EMERGENCY LINE: (573) 234-4871

          RMRI, Inc. Website
          http://www.rmriinc.com

          RMRI, Inc. Blog
          http://rmriinc.wordpress.com

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2012
            Rick -

            I haven't had the time to respond to your inquiry earlier but I will take a
            few quick seconds to type out a response. I do so because I do not
            totally agree with your presumptions.

            For starters, how positive are you that none of the accused have ever had a
            felony conviction? I'm just curious as to where you got that information.

            Second, I have known quite a few idiots through the years who were able to
            get their PI licenses either back or for the first time post felony
            conviction. A. Michael Pascal from Massachusetts was one who came to CA and
            obtained a license after having been convicted of attempted murder. I find it
            absolutely ludicrous that such an obliquitous person should actually die
            awaiting sentencing in the Los Angeles County Jail after having been convicted
            of murder.

            Another one that comes to mind right away is Andrew Paul Delio. Although
            he has been released from federal custody after having served his more
            recent time, I was shocked that they ever gave him his license back since he was
            convicted back in the 90's for carrying a loaded weapon on an airplane,
            impersonating a federal officer and some other related charges. He was bad
            news then and he's bad news now. I was even angrier with the state (BSIS)
            for allowing him to use a company name of Office of Special Investigations
            while he used the FBI building in West L.A. as his address. Yep, they have
            a post office in their lobby and he had a PO Box there. UGH !!! He was
            also a member of CALI and they didn't seem to mind. UGH again !!!

            Anyway, Rick, the reason why it is not a wise decision for the most part to
            use a convict for your investigations, especially in criminal cases, is
            because of the appearance of impropriety that will be presented to the jury
            by opposing counsel. How can anyone believe a convicted felon is the
            argument that is always presented. How credible can they be?

            Stay healthy and happy !!

            Sue

            In a message dated 10/2/2012 11:50:40 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
            rmriinc@... writes:

[...]

            _http://www.rmriinc.com_ (http://www.rmriinc.com/)

            RMRI, Inc. Blog
            _http://rmriinc.wordpress.com_ (http://rmriinc.wordpress.com/)

            (mailto:infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com) , "Peter Psarouthakis" <peter@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > according to a complaint from the NY Department of State. As a result,
            > Steven P. Rombom must appear before a state administrative law tribunal
            in
            > Albany, NY on Oct. 25, 2012.

            <_http://www.pressherald.com/news/New-judge-assigned-to-Kennebunk-prostitutio_
            (http://www.pressherald.com/news/New-judge-assigned-to-Kennebunk-prostitutio)
            > n-case.html>

            _http://www.pressherald.com/news/New-judge-assigned-to-Kennebunk-prostitution_
            (http://www.pressherald.com/news/New-judge-assigned-to-Kennebunk-prostitution)
            > -case.html
            >
            > PORTLAND, ME - A new judge, Justice Nancy Mills, has been assigned in a
            > prostitution case. Mark Strong, a 57-year-old Thomaston insurance agent
            and
            > private investigator, is charged with promotion of prostitution, a

          • webmail007
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 3, 2012
              More important than anything else, I learned a new word today.

              Steven.

              Steven Rambam.
              Pallorium, Inc.
              www.pallorium.com

              direct email: rambam@...
              USA Tel. 212-969-0286

              -- This message has been sent from my mobile device; please excuse the brevity and any typos.

              PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS, ESPECIALLY IF YOUR MESSAGE IS URGENT OR CONFIDENTIAL. Please respond to: rambam@....

              On Oct 4, 2012, at 0:40, suesarkis@... wrote:

              > obliquitous
            • RickyG
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 3, 2012
                Sue,

                I understand the argument as far as testimony goes, but personally speaking I have ever had a problem with fielding such inquiries on the stand.... You can tell when a Jury is listening to you, if they believe you, if they hold your past indiscretions against you; if you watch them as carefully as they are watching you. I have never gotten the notion that my felony conviction was that much of an obstacle to overcome on the stand... It is what it is.... And I have been GRILLED by Prosecutors over my felony conviction. It just simply did not seem like that significant of an issue to anyone, and you can bet that if I missed something the attorney I was working for was watching the Jury and none of those attorneys missed anything.....

                I don't know if any of these people have felonies. But notice that I did quite a bit of prefacing prior to bring up the gist of my post... I do think it is a fair assumption that there are a very few convicted felons in this business, or at least a fairly small percentage. I suspect... Just a suspicion.... But I suspect that you will find that maybe one out of the list Peter gave us has a felony conviction in their past. I also suspect, that prior to Anthony Pelicano's conviction he had no felonies in his background... But you may know this better than I do.... One must keep in mind that even if my suspicions are correct, the incidents we have seen are only an extremely low percentage of total incidents in our business.

                I did speak with a Professor in the Sociology Department of Columbia College today. He seemed VERY interested in trying to get a research project started on this very issue, after I bought it to his attention.

                Maybe in the not too distant future we will have some research to fall back on, in regards to this topic Sue..........

                Ricky B. Gurley

                RMRI, Inc.
                http://www.rmriinc.com