Re: [infoguys-list] Inmate ID

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 26, 2012
      Bob -

      Yes, your calculations are correct. However, how the numbers game has
      always been played is when they run out of "A" numbers, they restart at "B".
      To the best of my knowledge, they have only used up to "V" which gives them
      an awful lot of numbers yet to use.

      Sue

      In a message dated 4/26/2012 3:41:58 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
      rth@... writes:

      On 4/25/2012 5:48 PM, _suesarkis@..._ (mailto:suesarkis@...) wrote:
      > Colleagues -
      >
      > I came across something unusual today and I'm hoping someone can explain.
      > An inmate at Mule Creek in Ione has an ID # with two (2) letters (AF) and
      > four (4) numbers rather than one (1) letter and five (5) numbers. Anyone
      > know why there is a difference?

      IF California were to use LEADING Zero's in their numbers, i.e. A 00001,
      they would run out of numbers after 2,599,974 unique inmates if each
      inmate would receive his/her original number on subsequent
      incarcerations. That available number would shrink further if an inmate
      were to be assigned a fresh number upon each incarceration.

      Using a two Alpha/four numeric ID number would offer them a great many
      more numbers.

      It COULD be as simple as that. Or not!<g>

      --
      Enjoy,

      /Bob/
      Hrodey & Associates Established 1977
      NAPPS
      Woodstock, IL 60098-0366 NCISS, & P.A.W.L.I.
      Licensed in IL & WI (815) 337-4636 Voice
      337-4638 Fax
      email: _inquiry@..._ (mailto:inquiry@...) or
      _rth@..._ (mailto:rth@...)
      Illinois License 115-000783 Wisconsin 8045-063