Something we've really known about for a long time - now it comes to light

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2012
      CPAC interview: former cops lead fight against “war on drugs” racket

      by Joel McDurmon on Feb 14, 2012
      Howard Wooldridge is one of many retired police officers with _LEAP_
      (http://www.leap.cc/) —Law Enforcement Against Prohibition—who are fighting to
      expose and end the racket that is our nation’s “war on drugs.”
      And a racket it is. You may not be surprised to learn that the most vocal
      anti-drug lobby in Washington is from law enforcement, but you may be
      surprised to learn why. As well, you may be surprised to learn who else teams up
      with that lobby.
      Republicreport.com caught up with Mr. Wooldridge at CPAC last week. He
      _exposes_ (http://www.republicreport.org/2012/police-marijuana-cpac/) the
      racket. First, it’s the beer lobby:
      The beer wholesale industry donated five figure money to defeat Prop 19 [a
      pro- marijuana bill in CA] because marijuana and alcohol compete right
      today as a product to take the edge off the day at six o’clock. Just because
      marijuana is illegal, doesn’t negate the fact that there’s still
      competition. The beer companies don’t want it. . . .
      Then he tells the truth on the law enforcement lobby. It’s not about
      preventing drug abuse and addiction, it’s about money for the departments,
      thrilling equipment, and fancy weapons:
      My biggest opponent on Capitol Hill is law enforcement. ‘We love the money
      you give us to chase Willie Nelson, Snoop Dogg, and all the rest’ — with
      helicopters, and especially “free” federal money.
      Then it’s Big Pharma:
      The second biggest opponent on Capitol Hill is big PhRMA because everyone
      knows (who’s knowledgeable on the issue) God didn’t make no junk. Marijuana
      ’s an excellent medicine for many things, taking the place of everything
      from Advil to Vicodin . . . expensive store-bought pills [...] “Don’t
      change nothin’” is their motto. Because, why? Their profit motive.
      And also, believe it or not, prisons! That’s right. Private prisons need
      criminals to keep up their “criminal justice” profits (so does the state!).
      Wooldridge says,
      Private prisons fight me. Why? They want more people in prison. Is it good
      policy? They don’t care. What lobbyists care about is the people who pay
      their salary. . . . Their interest in the country is secondary or even
      tertiary. . . .
      Meanwhile, the one (partial) experiment we have in decriminalizing drugs—
      (http://americanvisionnews.com/1804/portugal-decriminalizes-drugs-drug-abuse-cut-in-half) —has resulted in a large decrease in problematic
      addictions, decrease in usage among adolescents, decrease in burden on the
      criminal justice system, and decrease in street value of drugs.
      My eyes were greatly opened on this issue after reading Joel Miller’s book
      _Bad Trip: How the War Against Drugs is Destroying America_
      (http://www.amazon.com/Bad-Trip-Against-Destroying-America/dp/0785261478) . Mr. Miller is
      a Christian and works for a Christian publisher. His work made me realize
      the so-called “libertarian” argument really is about what’s best for the
      country and not about personal indulgence. I vowed to study the issue
      further, and have, and will continue to do so.
      The work of men like Wooldridge and the organization LEAP show us how much
      more evil there is on the pro-drug-war side: it is profitable for
      lobbyists, for drug companies, and for beer companies to keep drugs illegal. It is
      profitable for law enforcement departments and for prisons to manufacture a
      steady stream of criminals.
      Get that: it is profitable for these groups to make more criminals, and
      they have powerful lobbies in Washington to ensure it stays that way. This is
      not a vision of Christian law and order; it is a system of corporate-state
      welfare that rewards bureaucrats and increases violence. Not only does it
      not solve the problem, it doesn’t want to, and instead fights to keep the
      problem intact as a source of revenue and job security.
      There is indeed an addiction problem out there: an addiction to federal
      money and power.
      See the video here -