I'm curious - off topic

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 8, 2012
      My curiosity is killing me and I'm hopeful someone might have a clue. I
      just read an article whereby Russian scientists have been drilling for longer
      than 2 decades to reach a freshwater lake, Lake Vostok, in Antarctica.
      They allege that the lake has not been touched by light in millions of years
      and therefore it contains at least 50 times as much oxygen as most
      freshwater lakes. They have taken samples to be tested for life forms as they
      believe the water is similar to the makeup of the water on one of Jupiter's
      moons as well as Saturn's moon. The lake is supposed to be similar in size to
      Lake Ontario.

      They also talk about how significant this fete is since the surface
      conditions above the lake are frightful. The recorded lowest temperature known
      to man was recorded there at 128 deg below zero (Fahrenheit). That's almost
      twice as cold as the temperature outside a jet at a cruising altitude of
      35,000 ft.

      I have one question to ask. If the lake has been covered with miles of
      glacier at apparently the coldest spot on earth for millions of years and it
      covers about the same amount of earth as Lake Ontario, how'd they even know
      it was there?

      _http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/08/lake-vostok-antarctic-russian-scie
      ntists_n_1262661.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl8%7Csec1_lnk3%2
      6pLid%3D133950_
      (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/08/lake-vostok-antarctic-russian-scientists_n_1262661.html?icid=maing-grid10|htmlws-main-bb|dl8|s
      ec1_lnk3&pLid=133950)

    • Bob Hrodey
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 8, 2012
        On 2/8/2012 9:53 PM, suesarkis@... wrote:

        > My curiosity is killing me and I'm hopeful someone might have a clue. I
        > just read an article whereby Russian scientists have been drilling for longer
        > than 2 decades to reach a freshwater lake, Lake Vostok, in Antarctica.
        > They allege that the lake has not been touched by light in millions of years
        > and therefore it contains at least 50 times as much oxygen as most
        > freshwater lakes. They have taken samples to be tested for life forms as they
        > believe the water is similar to the makeup of the water on one of Jupiter's
        > moons as well as Saturn's moon. The lake is supposed to be similar in size to
        > Lake Ontario.
        >
        > They also talk about how significant this fete is since the surface
        > conditions above the lake are frightful. The recorded lowest temperature known
        > to man was recorded there at 128 deg below zero (Fahrenheit). That's almost
        > twice as cold as the temperature outside a jet at a cruising altitude of
        > 35,000 ft.
        >
        > I have one question to ask. If the lake has been covered with miles of
        > glacier at apparently the coldest spot on earth for millions of years and it
        > covers about the same amount of earth as Lake Ontario, how'd they even know
        > it was there?

        Rand McNally Travel Guide or Fodor's...

        --
        Enjoy,

        /Bob/
        Hrodey & Associates Established 1977
        NAPPS
        Woodstock, IL 60098-0366 NCISS, & P.A.W.L.I.
        Licensed in IL & WI (815) 337-4636 Voice
        337-4638 Fax
        email: inquiry@... or rth@...
        Illinois License 115-000783 Wisconsin 8045-063

      • Gregory Martinez
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 8, 2012
          If true, I see great potential for investors in a new bottled water company.

          Just imagine the marketing opportunities for genuine pre-historic Antarctica water? The mind boggles at potential names for the water and what the labels would look like.

          P.S. Regarding the question, some kind of density detectors or ground radar I suppose.

          P.P.S. I do not know if this topic is necessarily off-topic. Imagine the potentials for legitimate profit, greed, and fraud, if such a geologic find is made. Where there is greed and fraud, the Private Eyes shall follow.

          "And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)

          ------------------------------
          Gregory A. Martinez,
          Private Investigator
          169 Commack Rd,
          Suite H-209,
          Commack, NY 11725

          Tel. 631-543-1909

          www.gregmartinez-pi.com

          NYS PI License lD#: 11000157180

        • baroski@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 8, 2012
            The lake was discovered and named by Russian geographer Andrey Kapitsa based on seismic soundings made during the Soviet Antarctic Expeditions in 1959 and 1964 to measure the thickness of the ice sheet. This was one of the last major geographic discoveries on Earth. - Wikipedia