On Cyber Monday, Feds Shut Down 150 Web Sites

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2011
      November 28, 2011

      On Cyber Monday, Feds Shut Down 150 Web Sites

      Federal authorities on Monday announced the seizure of 150 domain names for
      Web sites that featured alleged knock-offs of authentic jerseys, handbags,
      sports equipment and other items.
      The results of the undercover operation "In Our Sites" top _last year's
      crackdown_
      (http://legaltimes.typepad.com/blt/2010/11/doj-targets-online-sale-of-counterfeit-goods.html) , when investigators shut down 82 web sites.
      In most cases, the person or people operating the commercial sites do not
      challenge the domain name seizure in court, Lanny Breuer, the assistant
      attorney general for the Justice Department’s criminal division, told
      reporters.
      “The sale of counterfeit goods cheats consumers and robs legitimate
      businesses – both large and small – of the fruits of their hard-earned work,”
      Breuer said in a _statement_
      (http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/2011/November/11-ag-1540.html) today. “We will not tolerate those who seek to profit by
      abusing the Internet and stealing intellectual property at the expense of
      authors, artists and inventors.”
      John Morton, who heads the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency,
      told reporters on a conference call: “We want to promote a lawful online
      environment as much as we can and that means going after the small but
      significant number of Web sites that are engaged in frauds on consumers.”
      Morton and Breuer said law enforcement officers worked with copyright
      holders in an undercover sting to determine whether any targeted Web site was
      offering counterfeit goods for sale. Investigators bought sports jerseys,
      golf equipment, DVDs, shoes, sunglasses and other items.
      DOJ officials said in most of the cases the goods were shipped to the
      United States from a supplier in another country. China was a main source for
      much of the goods, according to law enforcement officials.
      The domain name becomes the property of the federal government if no person
      challenges the seizure. Since 2010, federal authorities have shut down 350
      domain names through “Operation In Our Sites.” Of the 350, 116 sites are
      now the property of the government.
      The authorities post a banner on any site the government has seized. “
      _MyJerseyShop.com_ (http://myjerseyshop.com/) ,” for instance, is no longer up
      and running. The banner on the site notifies the visitor of the seizure and
      provides the penalties for willful copyright infringement.
      Click _here_
      (http://www.ice.gov/doclib/news/releases/2011/111128washingtondc.pdf) for a list of the web sites the authorities seized. A sampling
      form the list: louisvuitton-bags-forcheap.com, mlbjerseyswell.com,
      texansjerseystore.com and shopsbag.com.