ISPLA INSIGHTS

  • Peter Psarouthakis
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 17, 2011
      As a follow-up to our October "ISPLA INSIGHTS" report concerning the
      National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011 sponsored by Rep. Cliff
      Stearns [R-FL-6] -- it passed the House by a 271 to 153 vote, along party
      lines.

      Number:
      US HR 822 - Updated (Status 11/16/2011)

      Sponsor:
      Stearns, Cliff

      Title:
      <http://www.cqstatetrack.com/texis/redir?id=4d62052ff8> National
      Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011

      Abstract:
      Amends the federal criminal code to authorize a person who is carrying a
      government-issued photographic identification document and a valid permit to
      carry a concealed firearm in one state, and who is not prohibited from
      possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm under federal
      law, to carry a concealed handgun (other than a machinegun or destructive
      device) in another state in accordance with the restrictions of that state.

      H. Res. 463 passed House. - 11/15/2011

      In an article by Politico titled "Have concealed gun, will travel" they
      point out that passage of this bill would "please core GOP constituency"
      but that critics cite another core Republican belief, namely that this is a
      states' rights issue. The sole Republican on the House Judiciary Committee,
      Rep. Dan Lungren [R-CA-3] is quoted: "It's a clash of two interests: Second
      Amendment rights and the 10th Amendment, the idea of federalism. I think
      it's a states' rights issue."

      ISPLA still expects that the Senate will block passage of such a measure.
      Still, the patchwork of laws and requirements governing gun permits - and
      the fact that smaller groups of states have already agreed to accept each
      other's gun permits - shows a need for some national standard on firearms
      licensing, advocates say, according to the Politico commentary. And,
      Representative Jason Altmire [D-PA-4] is quoted "We need to have a uniform
      standard so that gun owners know that they're not in legal jeopardy when
      they're abiding by the law when they travel among states."

      "It is particularly surprising for congressional Republicans to be pushing g
      a measure that directly goes against their deep-rooted support for states'
      rights," stated Senator Frank Lautenberg [D-NJ] and Representative Carolyn
      McCarthy [D-NY-4] in a letter to President Obama. "Indeed, under H.R. 822,
      state gun-safety laws would be rendered moot." They called for the President
      to issue a veto threat.

      Last month, according to Politico, New York Attorney General Eric
      Schneiderman called on Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid [D-NV] and Senate
      Minority Leader Mitch McConnell [R-KY] to oppose the bill if it came up in
      the Senate, charging that the measure would force almost every state to
      abandon its own gun laws. For example, New York requires all CCW permit
      applicants to undergo a background check and a mental health review -
      measures that are not required in other states, according to the New York
      Attorney General.

      A link to the full Politico article is at:

      <http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1111/68441.html>
      http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1111/68441.html

      Bruce Hulme
      ISPLA Director of Government Affairs
      <http://www.ispla.org/> www.ISPLA.org

      Your Proactive Voice from State Capitols to the Nation's Capitol
      Resource to the Investigative and Security Professions

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 17, 2011
        I find it laughable that the Dems are pointing fingers at the GOP regarding
        federal law versus States' rights. ALL significant gun control laws were
        brought about by Dem. presidents working with bicameral Democrat control.
        Prior to that, it was all about revenue and taxation.

        The National Firearms Act of 1934 which was enacted on June 26, 1934 was
        signed by FDR as part of his New Deal. Both sides of the aisle were ruled
        by the Dems.

        The Gun Control Act of 1968 which was enacted October 22, 1968 was signed
        by LBJ as part of his "Great Society". Both sides of the aisle were ruled
        by the Dems.

        As a registered Democrat, all I can do is scratch my head and wonder why.

        Since this is totally about inter-state transportation, common sense
        dictates that it be a Congressional action. It does not affect each states'
        rights as to who is or is not eligible for a CCW. They can make local changes
        at will. Common sense should also dictate the fact that if a State
        authorizes a person to possess a CCW, then it should follow suit that each State
        would and should appreciate all states treating their citizenry with
        respect. CA provided my CDL which allows me to drive cross-country. Why would
        this be considered any different? My car is a much deadlier weapon than
        any gun I've ever carried.

        Just my opinion.

        Sincerely,
        Sue Sarkis