Re: A wonderful commemoration of 9-11

  • Ron DeCaro
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 24, 2011
      Sue, your post made me recall I had read something about "the miracle of Dunkirk" a few years ago and went back and found it. There really is a parallel between the two accounts. Additionally, these events hit some personal memories, reminding me of my own escape by boat from Cuba in 1962. Here is a good summary of the Dunkirk episode giving details that help explain why that evacuation came to be referred to by some as a miracle:

      In early 1940 the British and their allies sent a force of some 350,000 men into the low countries of Europe to stem the tide of German advance into France, Belgium and Holland. Caught in a brilliant pincer movement by the invading German forces the beleaguered British Expeditionary Force was pushed back to the beaches of the small Belgian town of Dunkirk. To everyone’s surprise the Germans halted their advance to regroup. As England and the world waited for what appeared to be the sure and certain annihilation of 350,000 men a three word message was transmitted from the besieged army at Dunkirk. It read simply, "And if not." The British people understood the biblical import of the cryptic message. It was a reference to the Old Testament book of Daniel, where Daniel and his friends chose death rather than worship an image of the pagan king, "If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the furnace of blazing fire; and He will deliver us out of your hand, O king. But if not, let it be known to you, O king, that we are not going to serve your gods or worship the golden image that you have set up" (Daniel 3:17-18). The British Expeditionary Army, surrounded, cutoff and on the brink of destruction was declaring to Britain and to the world that even in apparent defeat they were, in fact, victorious. The message, more eloquent than a sermon delivered in St. Paul’s Cathedral, galvanized the British people. In a matter of hours thousands of boats of every description headed across the dangerous waters of the English Channel and, at the risk of their own lives from enemy fire, began the evacuation of the heroic but beleaguered army in what historians now refer to as "the miracle of Dunkirk."

      Ronald R. DeCaro
      California License No. PI21993

      INTEGRATED INSURANCE INVESTIGATIONS
      PO Box 888