Group's Thoughts

  • Rob O'Neill
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 13, 2011
      Greetings,

      Once again I'm turning to the group for ideas and opinions relative to a
      case. I apologize for the length.

      I have an attorney client that represents a startup company. The founder of
      the company has invented a technologically complicated "wigit." The "wigit"
      is in the prototype stage. The company is raising capital to put the
      "wigit" into production. I have been asked to background potential
      investors. One investor, who was referred to my client by a third party,
      claims to be interested in investing several million dollars. Finder's fees
      are involved. During the course of my initial inquiries several of what I
      would consider to be red flags have been raised. After informing my client
      of the same he replied that this investor just didn't "feel right" to him
      and that is why he brought me in.

      Obviously my client doesn't want to scare off the guy if his money is for
      real so I'm limited on how aggressively I can investigate.

      Now my problem is I just can't see the scam (if there is one). The stock
      transfers and finder's fee payments are only triggered after the money has
      been received.

      Money laundering?? Doesn't seem to fit the criteria. Stealing "wigit" info
      doesn't seem quite right either.

      I'm just looking for the group's thoughts on the matter.

      Thanks for your time and consideration!!

      Rob O'Neill

      Advanced Research Group, Inc.

      (630) 938-4716 Office

      (630) 768-6561 Mobile

      (630) 982-0692 Fax

      rroneill@... Email

      Florida License A2900189

      Illinois License 117.001361

      Indiana License PI20900496

      Wisconsin License 16695-062

      CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
      This e-mail contains confidential information and is intended solely for the
      use of the individual named on this transmission. If you are not the
      intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing
      strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail
      please destroy this message immediately.

    • milgrp2001@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 14, 2011
        In a message dated 8/14/2011 10:38:41 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com writes:

        Once again I'm turning to the group for ideas and opinions relative to a
        case.

        Rob:

        You state that theft of proprietary information is not a top concern at
        this point and perhaps you have other details that you did not include in
        your posting that lead you to this conclusion. However, if I were a
        competitor of your client or just an enterprising tech thief, I might consider
        sending in a ringer to pose as a venture capitalist who would then glean as much
        info about the miracle widget as he could ("Hey, I need to know exactly
        what it is I'm investing in.") BEFORE actually plunking down any serious
        cash. We have seen just this scam run before on promising start-up companies.
        Just one possible angle to consider.

        Regards,

        Brad Robinson, Senior Partner
        The Millennium Group
        120 S. Olive Ave., Suite 310
        West Palm Beach, FL 33401
        Tel. (561) 655-2001
        Fax: (561) 655-2010
        www.MillenniumGroup2001.com
        "Florida-based -- internationally connected"

      • BILL HEARN
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 14, 2011
          Rob...
                                                  Brad is right... I'd run this guy though the Knot hole.... I mean a deep background
          check, finding other sources then the normal database info, or info given you by your client... Start at the Federal
          info and work to muni level of every place he has ever lived. You will find alot more then you think if you think outside the box... If this guy is a real deal, he will pan out, but if not I'd advice your client to walk away before its to late... One Lie leads to another.... not the lyric...  Just my TWO cents...

          Confidential Sources
          POB 407
          SOUTH PRAIRIE, WA. 98385
          253-862-3037 Voice
          consources@...
          Bill Hearn

          CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication constitutes an electronic
          communication within the meaning of the Electronic Communications Privacy
          Act, 18 USC 2510, and its disclosure is strictly limited to the recipient
          intended by the sender of this message. This communication may contain
          confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended
          recipient and receipt by anyone other than the intended recipient does not
          constitute a loss of the confidential or privileged nature of the
          communications. Any review or distribution by others is strictly
          prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please contact the
          sender by return electronic mail and delete all copies of this
          communication. To reply to our email directly, send an email to:
          consources@... ... Thank you...

        • oracleintl@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 14, 2011
            Hi Rob,

            Since our phone discussion, I thought I'd publish thoughts to the list.

            I have had several cases related to loan funding fraud; they typically
            work out to be some sort of advanced fee scheme.

            Basically, Joe Con offers to produce some sort of private placement
            venture capital and then explains to the borrower that the lender requires proof
            of personal funding since nobody lends a million dollars to a dead beat.

            Borrower is required to put up 10-35% to be deposited to an escrow account
            where it cannot be touched but, unbeknownst to borrower, there is no real
            escrow account or bona fide escrow agent.

            At some point, one way or another, your guy is going to be required to
            come "out of pocket" for some reason, but sometimes these things aren't a big
            hit . . . for example, when your guy and Joe Con meet for dinner, who
            pays? I have seen a couple of cases where the loan funding agent didn't do
            anything more than scam for relatively minor expenses.

            You can read about my cases with Ruth Liverpool and Jenifer (one "n")
            Hoffman on my web site under case studies. One is in jail and the other is on
            her way.

            Bill E. Branscum, Investigator
            Oracle International
            Naples, FL 34101