Important Message From Bruce Hulme, ISPLA Director of Government Affairs

  • Peter Psarouthakis
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2011
      "What distinguishes ISPLA from other associations is reflected in the last
      three words of our name: '.for Legislative Action.' That's all we do, and
      we do it well." - Bruce Hulme, ISPLA Director of Government Affairs
      <http://www.ispla.org/> www.ISPLA.org

      In fact, ISPLA is not really a traditional association at all. Why? ISPLA's
      primary functions include reviewing proposed federal and state laws and
      regulations in order to identify critical issues; developing policy
      statements; preparing "white papers;" implementing action plans; serving as
      a resource to the profession, government and the media; providing testimony
      before hearings, boards and study groups; identifying third-party
      stakeholders with mutual interests and acting as their liaison to
      government; serving as an advocate for or against specific bills affecting
      investigative and security professionals; engaging state and federal
      lawmakers to influence legislation beneficial to the investigative and
      security professions; and creating and administering a federal political
      action committee.

      ISPLA members have direct access to a daily live state- and federal-
      tracking system in real time, an un-moderated web blog (a forum for open,
      uncensored debate and discussion within the investigative and security
      professions), timely bulletins on proposed state and federal legislation and
      regulations, and opportunities for professional development on policy
      advocacy and training relevant to legislative and regulatory processes. On a
      daily basis, ISPLA state association members have access to new bills; some
      have taken advantage of ISPLA's advocacy program, Educate to Legislate.

      As you can see, legislation is all we do. Political times are too volatile
      to have important time and funding focused on other "typical" association
      related activities.

      Other national associations such as NCISS, ASIS, NASCO, NAPBS, NAPPS, USAPI,
      ACFE, WAD, CII and INTELLENET offer a wide range of member services
      including conventions and trade shows, newsletters, email listservs,
      membership directories, referral services, and the presentation of awards.
      ISPLA's mission, which is singularly focused full-time on lobbying and PAC
      activities, does not involve these other programs. ISPLA does not view these
      professional associations as "competing organizations," but rather as
      potential allies and stakeholders working together for a common cause for
      the benefit of all investigative and security professionals.

      People have asked us, "What is the difference between ISPLA and NCISS?" We
      are not naive to the fact that there is discussion about this among the
      professions. This is a good question and one that should be answered.

      Legislation is but one aspect of the mission of NCISS and is run by a five-
      member legislative committee with the assistance of a part-time paid
      lobbyist. NCISS does not allow for policy discussion among its members
      relative to legislation and provides no opportunity for its members to
      search current state and federal bills. Such information is controlled
      solely by its lobbyist and legislative chairman.

      NCISS is under the mistaken impression that it is the only voice in
      Washington that represents private investigators and contract security
      companies. This is a myth. ISPLA together with ASIS, NASCO, NAPBS and NAPPS
      are doing the same work, each with its own retained lobbyist, and each
      having different points of view and possessing special areas of expertise.
      Industry opposition is led by dozens of privacy advocacy groups and labor
      unions. NCISS, with competing interests within its organization, does not
      have the resources to provide effective opposition alone.

      To make your voice really count in Washington, consider joining
      Investigative & Security Professionals for Legislative Action. Annual dues
      from the date of joining are just $99. All of our funds raised are used
      exclusively for lobbying and addressing regulatory and legislative matters
      affecting the investigative and security profession. Presently, we are all
      volunteers and pay our own travel expenses.

      However, we do need funds to maintain our legislative tracking system and
      handle mandatory regulatory and legal filings. We appreciate the many ISPLA
      professional association members that have given us annual donations ranging
      from $100 to $5,000. And, we certainly would like the support of every
      professional association!

      In the two short years of our existence, the average contribution from ISPLA
      member investigative firm contributors towards our government affairs and
      PAC services has been $500. From contract security firm contributors, it has
      been $1,000. We will also gratefully accept individual contributions in any
      amount.

      To join or contribute to the work of ISPLA on line, please visit
      <http://www.ispla.org/> www.ISPLA.org. Donations may also be mailed to the
      address below. Thank you.

      Bruce Hulme

      ISPLA Director of Government Affairs

      Investigative & Security Professionals for Legislative Action

      235 N. Pine Street

      Lansing, Michigan 48933