SAFE Data Act and Phone Hacking Fall-out

  • Peter Psarouthakis
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 20 6:16 AM
      Today, Representative Mary Bono Mack [R-CA-45], Subcommittee Chair of House
      Energy and Commerce Committee is expected to mark up her H.R. 2577, the
      Secure and Fortify Electronic (SAFE) Data Act which will require companies
      to notify law enforcement of security data breaches without "unreasonable
      delay" and  notify each person affected by such breaches within 48 hours.
      Her bill would preempt a patchwork of state data breach security laws,
      setting one national standard. As written, it is the best one presently
      being offered from the perspective of investigative and security
      professionals. It does not reference pretexting, as others do. ISPLA and
      other like-minded stakeholders are lobbying to ensure that any onerous
      amendments offered to this bill fail. We also note that our NCISS-PAC
      colleagues have recently contributed to the re-election campaign of
      Congresswoman Mary Bono Mack, their first and only PAC contribution since
      forming their PAC last year.

      As a follow-up to ISPLA's ongoing comments about the phone hacking scandal
      in the U.K. a further example of how that scandal has implications here in
      the U.S. and elsewhere is reflected in a letter written yesterday by
      Representative Bono to telecommunication industry groups. She posed a number
      of questions to which she seeks answers. She wrote:

      "We have all seen the headlines about the rapidly spreading phone hacking
      and police bribery scandal in the United Kingdom. According to press
      reports, a growing number of individuals in the United Kingdom are accused
      of unscrupulous and potentially illegal activities. Understanding that the
      events in the United Kingdom have not been connected to any activity within
      the United States, I nonetheless believe it’s critically important to ask
      American industries involved in all parts of the communications stream of
      commerce – from device manufacturers to fixed wire and wireless providers –
      whether they are satisfied that sufficient safeguards are in place to
      prevent similar privacy breaches here in the United States. As a result, I
      respectfully request an answer to the following questions no later than
      August 2, 2011.
      1. As communications through voice over internet protocol (VOIP),
      smartphones and other mobile devices become more integrated in our daily
      lives, do you expect to see a rise in phone hacking here in the United
      States (involving both personal conversations and voicemails) as criminals
      search for new ways to steal valuable information such as credit card
      numbers, bank account numbers and Social Security numbers?
      2. At present, what safeguards do your member companies employ to ensure
      that American consumers are adequately protected against the type of phone
      hacking scandal currently being investigated in the United Kingdom?
      3. In the wake of this scandal, do your member companies believe it is
      necessary to adopt new practices to ensure that consumers in the United
      States are better protected in the future?
      4. Do you believe existing laws and regulations adequately protect consumers
      in the United States from phone hacking and similar privacy breaches?
      5. Approximately how many phone hacking incidents are reported by your
      member companies in a year? Are the number of incidents growing or
      declining?
      6. As a matter of practice, are phone hacking incidents, or suspected
      incidents, reported to law enforcement agencies and regulatory agencies?
      7. From a technological standpoint, how difficult is it to hack into cell
      phones or other mobile devices?
      8. What steps can consumers take on their own to better protect their
      personally identifiable information when communicating through either fixed
      wire or wireless devices?"

      ISPLA's belief is that this issue involving the Murdoch media empire has the
      potential for creating regulatory and legislative ramifications having
      detrimental consequences for professional investigators. It will adversely
      affect some of the proactive work ISPLA has been undertaking these past two
      years in Washington.

      To support the ongoing work of Investigative & Security Professionals for
      Legislative Action please visit www.ISPLA.org

      To donate to ISPLA-PAC only personal check or personal credit card accounts
      may be used.

      Thank you.

      Bruce Hulme
      ISPLA Director of Government Affairs
      235 N. Pine Street
      Lansing, Michigan 48933
      Tel: (212) 962 4054
    • RickyG
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 20 10:44 AM
        Couple of real quick comments...

        It was not your "traditional criminal" that hacked the these voice-mails in the Murdoch scandal; it was Private Investigators. As long as P.I.'s do stupid things that draw this kind of attention, we will always be in danger of having the government limit our resources. That is just a fact of life.

        What can people do to protect their data? Stop being lazy! Most "hacks" that cause these breaches to occur are because people are lazy. They don't use strong passwords, they don't use encryption, they don't password protect their accounts, etc., etc.. You can't protect a person from theirself...

        The level of difficulty involved in "hacking" a cell phone, a computer, or any "digital device" is directly related to how secure that device is; which is directly related to whether or not the person owning the device was too lazy to secure that device. This is not ALWAYS the case, but it plays a significant role in the amount of incidents like this that we are seeing.

        Ricky B. Gurley

        RMRI, Inc.
        http://www.rmriinc.com
        (573) 529-4476