Pentagon reports largest theft of funds in U.S. history

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 14, 2011
      I received a couple of private emails yesterday implying that the stacks of
      money showing the comparison between a million, a billion and a trillion
      had to have been made up. Well, this story just in seems to confirm the
      volume involved. This is not a positive article since it involves the largest
      theft in our nation's history. But, it took 21 flights of the C-130
      Hercules to transport a mere $12 billion to Iraq. They could only fit $2.4
      billion per plane. At that rate it would require 1,743 flights to transport one
      trillion ($1,000,000,000.00). How many trillion is our debt ceiling?
      How much do we owe? The debt to the penny as of a few hours ago is
      $14,344,590,476,192.34. To transport the national debt would require TWENTY FIVE
      THOUSAND TWELVE+ (25,012) flights !!!!!!!!

      Now, I don't know how many of you have ever ridden in a C-130. I happen
      to have a bunch of wonderful pictures of quite a few investigators you all
      know/knew including myself flying in a C-130 Hercules in Australia in 1989
      when they had a domestic air strike. We commandeered the Royal Australian
      Air Force and got them to fly us from Sydney to Brisbane. They are HUGE
      inside !!!!

      Pentagon reports largest theft of funds in U.S. history
      In what's being characterized as the largest theft of funds in national
      history, taxpayers' money earmarked for Iraq has disappeared, according to a
      Washington, D.C., public-interest group that investigates and prosecutes
      government corruption and abuse.

      In a mind-boggling example of government corruption, billions of dollars
      flown to Iraq for post-invasion “reconstruction” have vanished and may never
      be recovered, say officials from Judicial Watch.
      Bundled in chunks of $100 bills, the cash was sent from the United States
      to Iraq in turboprop military cargo planes known as C-130 Hercules. About
      $2.4 billion fit in each aircraft and 21 flights made trips, transporting a
      total of $12 billion in American currency to Iraq by 2004
      For years federal audits have determined that more than half of that money
      could not located by auditors, but there seemed to be some hope that some
      of the funds could be retrieved.
      However, this week the Special Inspector General for Iraq Reconstruction,
      Stuart Bowen, essentially confirmed that $6.6 billion in cash was likely
      stolen and may never be recovered.
      Bowen referred to it as "the largest theft of funds in national history,"
      in a Los Angeles Times newspaper report that pointed out the missing money
      is enough to run a major public school district for an entire year.
      The story also claims that the mystery is a growing embarrassment to the
      Pentagon, which has long asserted that it could track the cash if given the
      time to do it.
      This is simply the latest of many reports documenting the pervasive fraud
      and waste in Iraq reconstruction efforts, which have received more than
      $100 billion from U.S. taxpayers.
      In the last few years Inspector General audits have exposed the sordid
      details of costly projects that never got completed or are rife with excessive
      delays and shoddy work.
      There are also investigations into bribery and embezzlement cases such as
      the one reported yesterday by the Public Safety Examiner in which Major
      Derrick L. Shoemake, 49, pleaded guilty Monday before U.S. District Court
      Judge Dolly M. Gee in the Central District of California to two counts of
      accepting bribes while serving overseas.

      According to the court document, Major Shoemake served at Camp Arifjan in
      Kuwait as a contracting officer’s representative in charge of coordinating
      and accepting delivery of bottled water in support of U.S. troops in Iraq.

      While serving in Kuwait, Shoemake agreed to assist a contractor with his
      delivery of bottled water. In return, the contractor paid Shoemake
      $215,000, most of which was delivered to Shoemake’s designee in Los Angeles.

      Major Shoemake received an additional $35,000 from a second contractor for
      his perceived influence over the award of bottled water contracts in
      Afghanistan. In total, Shoemake admitted receiving approximately $250,000 from
      these two government contractors in 2005 and 2006.