Socialized medicine - British style

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2011
      The ultimate NHS indignity: Body of hospital patient left to die in
      corridor is ignored for hours... before staff simply drag him away

      By _Daily Mail Reporter_
      (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?s=y&authornamef=Daily+Mail+Reporter)
      Last updated at 4:17 PM on 8th June 2011

      * _Comments (357) _
      (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2000824/NHS-indignity-Peter-Thompsons-body-ignored-hours-corridor-Edale-House-unit.ht
      ml#comments)
      * _Add to My Stories _
      (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2000824/NHS-indignity-Peter-Thompsons-body-ignored-hours-corridor-Edale-House-unit
      .html)
      * _Share _
      (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2000824/NHS-indignity-Peter-Thompsons-body-ignored-hours-corridor-Edale-House-uni
      t.html#socialLinks)

      * 'He went to them for help and they left him out in the corridor to
      die', says Peter Thompson's daughter
      * Senior nurse claims it was 'the appropriate method of handling the
      situation'

      Two heartbroken parents have slammed 'inhumane' nurses who left their dead
      son lying in the middle of a hospital corridor and stepped over his corpse
      for more than ten hours thinking he was asleep.
      CCTV captured staff pulling the lifeless body of Peter Thompson along the
      floor like they were 'dragging the body of a dead animal'.
      Today a coroner said his death was 'wholly preventable' and believes he
      could have survived but for the neglect of nursing staff, three of whom now
      face disciplinary proceedings.
      41-year-old Mr Thompson had taken a cocktail of drink and drugs but
      instead of taking him to accident and emergency, staff at the Edale House unit at
      the Manchester Royal Infirmary left him sprawled on the floor, where he
      eventually died.

      CCTV footage shows Mr Thompson entering the hospital at 7:45pm, not long
      before he collapsed and died

      Dragged: Mr Thompson was pulled along the floor after lying in the middle
      of a hospital corridor and having nurses stepping over his corpse for more
      than TEN hours thinking he was asleep
      The discovery of the footage has left his family devastated about the
      indignity of their son's death in April last year.
      Mr Thompson's father Alan, 60, said: 'Seeing your own flesh and blood
      being dragged across the floor like a dead animal is heartbreaking.
      'It was just inhumane what they did to our Peter and I just cannot
      understand how in this day and age this can be allowed to happen on a hospital
      corridor in the 21st Century.
      'I can never ever forgive these people for what little they did - no
      matter what.'
      Mother Rene, 59, said: 'I wish the staff had phoned us to say he was at
      the hospital. We'd have been down there and at least we'd have been there for
      him. He'd have had us there with him - we didn't even have a chance to say
      goodbye to him.'
      Mr Thompson's daughter Carly, 23, said: 'I just didn't realise the extent
      of the neglect they had shown to my dad until this week.

      Lifeless: Mr Thompson is dragged along the corridor for some distance
      outside the ward where he was left lying for ten hours

      Panic: Staff suddenly realise that the neglected man was in fact dead and
      not asleep. It was too late
      'He went to them for help and they left him out in the corridor to die
      cold, wet and lonely with nothing. I'm disgusted at their treatment of him.'

      The incident occurred between April 3 and 4 last year after Mr Thompson, a
      voluntary in-patient with alcohol and drug problems, was stopped from
      entering his ward after he turned up with a bottle of vodka and refused to
      surrender it.
      He then fell asleep in the corridor at around 8.10pm after nurses decided
      to let him 'sleep off' the effects of the alcohol.
      But rather than wake him up or move him, a member of staff just placed a
      towel next to the patient and he was not given a blanket or a pillow.
      Instead nurses and managers were forced to step over Mr Thompson to get
      into the Grafton ward.
      Senior nurse Helen De Lacy-Leacey said she alerted night staff that the
      patient was outside the doors of the ward and asked them to: 'keep an eye on
      him and make sure he is okay'.
      But she ended her shift at 9.15pm and did not try to wake Mr Thompson to
      carry out a risk assessment of his condition.

      Distraught parents Alan Thompson and Rene Thompson say they can 'never
      ever forgive these people for what little they did' to their son Peter Thompson
      And night manager Steve Soobhug said leaving him to sleep outside was 'the
      appropriate method of handling the situation at the time'.
      Fellow senior staff nurse Miss Dini Oyebadejo said she checked on the
      patient several more times overnight but discovered him 'stiff' at 6.15am and
      raised the alarm.

      In happier times: Peter Thompson, 41, (pictured) was found lifeless on the
      floor in Manchester Royal Infirmary's Edale House after nurses thought he
      was asleep
      When asked of he believed it was dangerous to leave Mr Thompson in his
      condition, she replied: 'It could have been dangerous yes. I was concerned
      about the patient but I felt he needed to sleep. I didn't want him to leave
      the ward.'
      Mr Thompson formerly of Levenshulme, Manchester was declared dead at
      6.43am.
      Expert Dr Alan Fletcher a consultant in emergency medicine concluded the
      victim would have lived had he been taken to an A&E during the night.
      A pathologist report concluded he died from fatal levels of alcohol and
      anti-psychotic drugs, with liver cirrhosis as a contributing factor.
      He was four times over the drink-drive limit.
      After hearing the jury's verdict, Manchester coroner Nigel Meadows told
      the inquest: 'It seems to me undeniable that the jury came to a conclusion
      the death was wholly preventable.'
      He will now write to Manchester Mental Health and Social Care Trust,
      responsible for Edale House laying out recommendations and will also inform the
      Nursing and Midwifery Council calling for investigation into three of the
      nurses involved.
      Nadia Kerr, partner at Pannone solicitors who represented the family,
      said: 'This is a shocking indictment on the care standards provided by the
      Manchester Mental Health and Social Care Trust.
      'Peter Thompson was a voluntary patient who was aware he had problems but
      was trying to address them.
      'The apology given during this inquest and the written apology from the
      Trust go some way to acknowledging that Mr Thompson could and should have
      been treated more appropriately and with the dignity that was sadly lacking
      throughout this whole episode.
      'We have now agreed compensation for Mr Thompson's family, but no amount
      of money can ever compensate them for their sad loss.'

      Tragedy: Peter Thompson's parents, Renee and Alan Thompson, give an
      emotional interview to ITV's Daybreak about their son's death and the coroner's
      verdict
      A Manchester Mental Health and Social Care Trust spokesman said: 'We would
      like to apologise to Peter Thompson's family and friends and express our
      deep regret about the circumstances of his death.
      'This was an isolated incident and does not reflect the high levels of
      care and dignity with which we treat our service users. On this occasion we
      fell short of our usual high standard and we are very sorry about this.
      'Following the incident we completed a thorough review of the case and
      produced a detailed action plan. Mr Thompson's family were given a copy of
      this review and have been kept informed of the process as it developed.'
      Read more:
      _http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2000824/NHS-indignity-Peter-Thompsons-body-ignored-hours-corridor-Edale-House-unit.html#ixzz1OiOgJkz
      x_

      --
      "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't
      pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for,