Re: [infoguys-list] Delta learned a lesson

  • bill moore
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 8, 2011
      Adriane is fine Sue. What were you talking about with your health issues.

      I have checked a handgun and they put a red tag on the bag. My quesiton was what type of weapn was he talking about that he used in Afghanistan.  Unless the services have changed drastically you are not allowed to transport personal weapons to and from a combat zone.

      I was in three different zones and we were not allowed to transport personal weapons. In fact I keep up with the military news and quite a few individuals have been prosecuted for removing weapons from a combat zone.

      From: _suesarkis@..._ (mailto:suesarkis@...) <_suesarkis@..._
      (mailto:suesarkis@...) >
      Subject: [infoguys-list] Delta learned a lesson
      To: _infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com)
      , _freekali@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:freekali@yahoogroups.com)
      Date: Wednesday, June 8, 2011, 11:26 AM

      Soldiers' $2,800 in bag fees spark outrage

      By A. Pawlowski, CNN
      June 8, 2011 1:42 p.m. EDT

      (CNN) -- Stung by online comments calling it "disgusting" and
      "un-American," Delta Air Lines on Wednesday announced it will allow U.S.
      military
      personnel traveling on orders to check more bags for free.
      The policy change, which is effective immediately, came a day after U.S.
      Army soldiers returning from Afghanistan complained that they were charged
      almost $3,000 in bag fees by the carrier.
      "We regret that this experience caused these soldiers to feel anything but
      welcome on their return home," wrote Rachael Rensink, manager of Delta
      Social Media, in an updated post on the carrier's blog.
      The incident sparked outrage online after the servicemen spoke out about
      their experience in a video posted on YouTube.
      In the clip -- which the men say was recorded on board a Delta flight from
      Baltimore to Atlanta on Tuesday, a day after they returned from
      Afghanistan
      -- the soldiers explain they had "a little issue with the bags."
      CNN affiliate WXIA in Atlanta identified the soldiers as U.S. Army Staff
      Sgts. Fred Hilliker and Robert O'Hair.
      The men, who were bound for Fort Polk, Louisiana, said their military
      travel orders allowed them to carry up to four bags, but when they arrived
      at
      the airport in Baltimore, Delta told them it allows military personnel to
      check only three bags for free.
      Members of the unit who were traveling with four bags ended up paying out
      of pocket for their extra luggage, the soldiers said in the video. They
      were
      charged $200 per extra bag, so the 34-member unit ended up paying more
      than $2,800 in bag fees, the soldiers added.
      Any extra bag fees charged by an airline will be reimbursed by the
      government, a military spokeswoman told CNN affiliate WGCL in Atlanta.
      One of the soldiers in the video said the bag he had to pay for was a
      weapons case that contained "the tools that I used to protect myself and
      Afghan
      citizens while I was deployed in the country."
      The other man then looked into the camera, exasperated.

      "Good business model, Delta," he said sarcastically. "Not happy, not happy
      at all," he added, shaking his head.
      The airline apologized for "any miscommunication" about its bag
      allowances,
      but reiterated that its policy for U.S. military personnel allowed them to
      check up to four bags in First/Business class and three bags in coach for
      free.
      Other airlines, like United and US Airways, have similar rules.
      On Wednesday, Delta changed its policy and said U.S. military personnel
      traveling on orders would now be allowed to check up to four bags for free
      in
      coach and up to five bags at no charge in First and Business Class.
      The carrier said it deeply respects and admires men and women in uniform
      and added that it has worked hard to ensure that U.S. military personnel
      get
      "additional flexibility" when they travel on the carrier.
      The carrier said it's "continuing to work with the soldiers individually
      make this situation right for each of them."
      The soldiers may have been misinformed about how many bags traveling
      active
      duty military personnel can check for free, Stars and Stripes reported.

    • Richard H. Maxwell
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 8, 2011
        No, you can carry firearms on airplanes so long as they are in checked
        baggage and securely locked in a case with ammo separated from the firearm.

        Sincerely,

        Richard H. Maxwell
        Maxwell Services - Investigations & Process Services
        AL License #: 13340
        P.O. Box 204
        Toney, AL. 35773
        P: 256-714-8930
        F: 256-701-5156

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 8, 2011
          Bill -

          I just got off the phone with a friend who served in Operation Desert
          Shield. I was 100% positive that he and some of his friends who were deposited
          at LAX with no money left and having to fend their way to Pendleton had
          grenade launchers with them. I remember being concerned but figured "what
          they heck" as I drove them down there.

          He said that President Bush signed an order putting into service the Civil
          Reserve Air Fleet for the first time for the Gulf Wars. Since that time
          the government has continued to pay the member commercial airlines to
          transport the troops to the various destinations.

          Chris further said that it is not unusual for returning soldiers to check
          weapons when flying on a commercial airline if the weapons have been
          certified as unloaded because they are responsible for bringing their guns home
          with them when they return. He said that they have to return it to their
          duty station where the weapon was assigned to them and where they checked it
          out from. In his case it was Pendleton.

          I went and looked up Civil Reserve Air Fleet and it is interesting
          reading. _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Reserve_Air_Fleet_
          (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Reserve_Air_Fleet)

          I also did a little searching to see what the guys were carrying on Delta.
          One sergeant said his fourth bag was a weapons case containing an M4
          carbine rifle, a grenade launcher and a 9 millimeter pistol that he had used in
          Afghanistan. The grenade launcher attaches to the rifle.

          Yep, things have surely changed.

          Sincerely,
          Sue

          From: _suesarkis@..._ (mailto:suesarkis@...) <_suesarkis@..._