Re: [infoguys-list] Delta learned a lesson

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 8, 2011
      Bill -

      You and I can transport as many weapons as we want in locked and checked
      baggage. The last time I checked ammunition was limited to 11 lbs. There
      are various packaging rules established by the TSA, etc. and each airline
      should be checked as they also have their own individual rules but yep, you
      can carry weapons in your checked baggage. Also, you must declare them when
      checking in the baggage.

      Needless to say, I hope all of them combined do not have 11 lbs of
      ammunition left over. LOL

      By the way, how's Adriane?

      Sue

      In a message dated 6/8/2011 4:07:34 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
      mrpi8716@... writes:

      Generated a lot of bad PR for Delta as it should have. They should
      reimburse them and also give them a free first class trip.

      Having said that I question what the SGT had in the weapons bag that he
      used to protect himself and his buddies in Afghanistan. I did not realize
      that the US Military allowed a soldier to carry weapons from one station to
      another. Weapons are not personal items they belong to the unit tht you just
      left and you will get another one when you get to the new unit. Isn't there
      a law that prevent weapons on an airline except for law enforcemnt
      personell and then they have to be declared.

      William T. Moore PI8716
      P O Box 1898
      Duarte CA 91009
      _bilmopi@..._ (mailto:bilmopi@...)

      --- On Wed, 6/8/11, _suesarkis@..._ (mailto:suesarkis@...)

      From: _suesarkis@..._ (mailto:suesarkis@...) <_suesarkis@..._
      (mailto:suesarkis@...) >
      Subject: [infoguys-list] Delta learned a lesson
      To: _infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com)
      , _freekali@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:freekali@yahoogroups.com)
      Date: Wednesday, June 8, 2011, 11:26 AM

      Soldiers' $2,800 in bag fees spark outrage

      By A. Pawlowski, CNN
      June 8, 2011 1:42 p.m. EDT

      (CNN) -- Stung by online comments calling it "disgusting" and
      "un-American," Delta Air Lines on Wednesday announced it will allow U.S.
      military
      personnel traveling on orders to check more bags for free.
      The policy change, which is effective immediately, came a day after U.S.
      Army soldiers returning from Afghanistan complained that they were charged
      almost $3,000 in bag fees by the carrier.
      "We regret that this experience caused these soldiers to feel anything but
      welcome on their return home," wrote Rachael Rensink, manager of Delta
      Social Media, in an updated post on the carrier's blog.
      The incident sparked outrage online after the servicemen spoke out about
      their experience in a video posted on YouTube.
      In the clip -- which the men say was recorded on board a Delta flight from
      Baltimore to Atlanta on Tuesday, a day after they returned from
      Afghanistan
      -- the soldiers explain they had "a little issue with the bags."
      CNN affiliate WXIA in Atlanta identified the soldiers as U.S. Army Staff
      Sgts. Fred Hilliker and Robert O'Hair.
      The men, who were bound for Fort Polk, Louisiana, said their military
      travel orders allowed them to carry up to four bags, but when they arrived
      at
      the airport in Baltimore, Delta told them it allows military personnel to
      check only three bags for free.
      Members of the unit who were traveling with four bags ended up paying out
      of pocket for their extra luggage, the soldiers said in the video. They
      were
      charged $200 per extra bag, so the 34-member unit ended up paying more
      than $2,800 in bag fees, the soldiers added.
      Any extra bag fees charged by an airline will be reimbursed by the
      government, a military spokeswoman told CNN affiliate WGCL in Atlanta.
      One of the soldiers in the video said the bag he had to pay for was a
      weapons case that contained "the tools that I used to protect myself and
      Afghan
      citizens while I was deployed in the country."
      The other man then looked into the camera, exasperated.

      "Good business model, Delta," he said sarcastically. "Not happy, not happy
      at all," he added, shaking his head.
      The airline apologized for "any miscommunication" about its bag
      allowances,
      but reiterated that its policy for U.S. military personnel allowed them to
      check up to four bags in First/Business class and three bags in coach for
      free.
      Other airlines, like United and US Airways, have similar rules.
      On Wednesday, Delta changed its policy and said U.S. military personnel
      traveling on orders would now be allowed to check up to four bags for free
      in
      coach and up to five bags at no charge in First and Business Class.
      The carrier said it deeply respects and admires men and women in uniform
      and added that it has worked hard to ensure that U.S. military personnel
      get
      "additional flexibility" when they travel on the carrier.
      The carrier said it's "continuing to work with the soldiers individually
      make this situation right for each of them."
      The soldiers may have been misinformed about how many bags traveling
      active
      duty military personnel can check for free, Stars and Stripes reported.

    • bill moore
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 8, 2011
        Adriane is fine Sue. What were you talking about with your health issues.

        I have checked a handgun and they put a red tag on the bag. My quesiton was what type of weapn was he talking about that he used in Afghanistan.  Unless the services have changed drastically you are not allowed to transport personal weapons to and from a combat zone.

        I was in three different zones and we were not allowed to transport personal weapons. In fact I keep up with the military news and quite a few individuals have been prosecuted for removing weapons from a combat zone.

        From: _suesarkis@..._ (mailto:suesarkis@...) <_suesarkis@..._
        (mailto:suesarkis@...) >
        To: _infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com)
        , _freekali@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:freekali@yahoogroups.com)
        Date: Wednesday, June 8, 2011, 11:26 AM

[...]

      • Richard H. Maxwell
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 8, 2011
          No, you can carry firearms on airplanes so long as they are in checked
          baggage and securely locked in a case with ammo separated from the firearm.

          Sincerely,

          Richard H. Maxwell
          Maxwell Services - Investigations & Process Services
          AL License #: 13340
          P.O. Box 204
          Toney, AL. 35773
          P: 256-714-8930
          F: 256-701-5156

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 8, 2011
            Bill -

            I just got off the phone with a friend who served in Operation Desert
            Shield. I was 100% positive that he and some of his friends who were deposited
            at LAX with no money left and having to fend their way to Pendleton had
            grenade launchers with them. I remember being concerned but figured "what
            they heck" as I drove them down there.

            He said that President Bush signed an order putting into service the Civil
            Reserve Air Fleet for the first time for the Gulf Wars. Since that time
            the government has continued to pay the member commercial airlines to
            transport the troops to the various destinations.

            Chris further said that it is not unusual for returning soldiers to check
            weapons when flying on a commercial airline if the weapons have been
            certified as unloaded because they are responsible for bringing their guns home
            with them when they return. He said that they have to return it to their
            duty station where the weapon was assigned to them and where they checked it
            out from. In his case it was Pendleton.

            I went and looked up Civil Reserve Air Fleet and it is interesting
            reading. _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Reserve_Air_Fleet_
            (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Reserve_Air_Fleet)

            I also did a little searching to see what the guys were carrying on Delta.
            One sergeant said his fourth bag was a weapons case containing an M4
            carbine rifle, a grenade launcher and a 9 millimeter pistol that he had used in
            Afghanistan. The grenade launcher attaches to the rifle.

            Yep, things have surely changed.

            Sincerely,
            Sue

            From: _suesarkis@..._ (mailto:suesarkis@...) <_suesarkis@..._