Re: [infoguys-list] Delta learned a lesson

  • bill moore
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 8, 2011
      Generated a lot of bad PR for Delta as it should have.  They should reimburse them and also give them a free first class trip.

      Having said that I question what the SGT had in the weapons bag that he used to protect himself and his buddies in Afghanistan. I did not realize that the US Military allowed a soldier to carry weapons from one station to another. Weapons are not personal items they belong to the unit tht you just left and you will get another one when you get to the new unit. Isn't there a law that prevent weapons on an airline except for law enforcemnt personell and then they have to be declared.

      William T. Moore PI8716
       P O Box 1898
      Duarte CA 91009
      bilmopi@...

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 8, 2011
        Bill -

        You and I can transport as many weapons as we want in locked and checked
        baggage. The last time I checked ammunition was limited to 11 lbs. There
        are various packaging rules established by the TSA, etc. and each airline
        should be checked as they also have their own individual rules but yep, you
        can carry weapons in your checked baggage. Also, you must declare them when
        checking in the baggage.

        Needless to say, I hope all of them combined do not have 11 lbs of
        ammunition left over. LOL

        By the way, how's Adriane?

        Sue

        _bilmopi@..._ (mailto:bilmopi@...)

        --- On Wed, 6/8/11, _suesarkis@..._ (mailto:suesarkis@...)

        From: _suesarkis@..._ (mailto:suesarkis@...) <_suesarkis@..._
        (mailto:suesarkis@...) >
        To: _infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com)
        , _freekali@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:freekali@yahoogroups.com)

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 8, 2011
          Adriane is fine Sue. What were you talking about with your health issues.

          I have checked a handgun and they put a red tag on the bag. My quesiton was what type of weapn was he talking about that he used in Afghanistan.  Unless the services have changed drastically you are not allowed to transport personal weapons to and from a combat zone.

          I was in three different zones and we were not allowed to transport personal weapons. In fact I keep up with the military news and quite a few individuals have been prosecuted for removing weapons from a combat zone.

          From: _suesarkis@..._ (mailto:suesarkis@...) <_suesarkis@..._
          (mailto:suesarkis@...) >
          To: _infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com)
          , _freekali@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:freekali@yahoogroups.com)
          Date: Wednesday, June 8, 2011, 11:26 AM

[...]

        • Richard H. Maxwell
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 8, 2011
            No, you can carry firearms on airplanes so long as they are in checked
            baggage and securely locked in a case with ammo separated from the firearm.

            Sincerely,

            Richard H. Maxwell
            Maxwell Services - Investigations & Process Services
            AL License #: 13340
            P.O. Box 204
            Toney, AL. 35773
            P: 256-714-8930
            F: 256-701-5156

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 8, 2011
              Bill -

              I just got off the phone with a friend who served in Operation Desert
              Shield. I was 100% positive that he and some of his friends who were deposited
              at LAX with no money left and having to fend their way to Pendleton had
              grenade launchers with them. I remember being concerned but figured "what
              they heck" as I drove them down there.

              He said that President Bush signed an order putting into service the Civil
              Reserve Air Fleet for the first time for the Gulf Wars. Since that time
              the government has continued to pay the member commercial airlines to
              transport the troops to the various destinations.

              Chris further said that it is not unusual for returning soldiers to check
              weapons when flying on a commercial airline if the weapons have been
              certified as unloaded because they are responsible for bringing their guns home
              with them when they return. He said that they have to return it to their
              duty station where the weapon was assigned to them and where they checked it
              out from. In his case it was Pendleton.

              I went and looked up Civil Reserve Air Fleet and it is interesting
              reading. _http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Reserve_Air_Fleet_
              (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Reserve_Air_Fleet)

              I also did a little searching to see what the guys were carrying on Delta.
              One sergeant said his fourth bag was a weapons case containing an M4
              carbine rifle, a grenade launcher and a 9 millimeter pistol that he had used in
              Afghanistan. The grenade launcher attaches to the rifle.

              Yep, things have surely changed.

              Sincerely,
              Sue

              From: _suesarkis@..._ (mailto:suesarkis@...) <_suesarkis@..._