I'm fighting mad at Delta !!!!!!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2011
      I fully understand weight limits and the like but the fact still remains
      that if they have to bounce a passenger or two to make up the weight
      difference, so be it. Our soldiers should be treated with the utmost of respect
      and afforded all possible courtesies. I've included some comments below and
      I really like #5 and #7. Let Delta hear from you. The links are below.

      Delta Air Lines charges returning soldiers for checked bags
      by _Grant Martin_ (http://www.gadling.com/bloggers/grant-martin/) (_RSS
      feed_ (http://www.gadling.com/bloggers/grant-martin/rss.xml) ) on Jun 7th
      2011 at 9:00PM
      A team of returning soldiers from Afghanistan was hit with an unpleasant
      surprise upon their arrival into the United States this morning. The
      squadron, bringing a full load of gear with them back from the Central Asia was
      sacked with the baggage fees in place at Delta Air Lines, which, despite the
      agreement that they have with the armed forces charged the soldiers extra
      baggage fees.

      In sum, the group spent nearly $2800 in baggage fees for their gear, money
      that had to come straight out of their pockets.

      Obviously a policy is in place between the airline and the armed services
      that permits soldiers returning from war to bring back all of their gear
      without cost. What's likely is that an uninformed agent at the connecting
      airport didn't know about the rule and charged the group. Either way, Delta
      should fix the error and refund the fees.

      UPDATE: Delta's policy states that for military members, THREE checked
      bags are allowed in coach and FOUR checked bags are allowed in first, so the
      baggage fees may actually be correct. Whether Delta's policy is palatable or
      not is another question, but it appears that the agents were charging the
      servicemen properly.

      UPDATE 2, 11:34PM EST: Delta just posted a blog article discussing today's
      situation in which they discuss their policy. Specifically they state:

      In the case of today's situation, we would like to publicly apologize to
      those service men and women for any miscommunication regarding our current
      policies as well as any inconvenience we may have caused. We are currently
      looking further into the situation, and will be reaching out to each of them
      personally to address their concerns and work to correct any issues they
      have faced.
      You can read Delta's full post _here_
      (http://blog.delta.com/2011/06/07/military-travel-baggage-policies-our-thoughts/) .

      To send your complaints - go here -
      _http://www.delta.com/emailus/servlet/EmailUs?cmd=go_ (http://www.delta.com/emailus/servlet/EmailUs?cmd=go)

      1. _# 1 _
      (http://blog.delta.com/2011/06/07/military-travel-baggage-policies-our-thoughts/#comment-6955) nalc1784 Says:
      _June 7th, 2011 at 11:53 pm _
      (http://blog.delta.com/2011/06/07/military-travel-baggage-policies-our-thoughts/#comment-6955)
      How un-American can Delta be? These troops were not traveling for the hell
      of it. They were trying to go home. Then you have the nerve to charge them
      $200.00 for a single bag! I will never fly delta, both for myself and the
      military, ever again.
      2. _# 2 _
      (http://blog.delta.com/2011/06/07/military-travel-baggage-policies-our-thoughts/#comment-6956) cgrimaldo Says:
      _June 7th, 2011 at 11:59 pm _
      (http://blog.delta.com/2011/06/07/military-travel-baggage-policies-our-thoughts/#comment-6956)
      I really think your policy should be looked at. You should realize that the
      US Military personal can not afford to fly first class because our US
      Government does not pay them enough. I have make more in a month than my son
      does as a LCPL in the USMC and that is because he has a wife and child so he
      does get the extra allowance. You should consider the COACH class should be
      allowed 4 bags. They must carry their weapons to defend themselves and
      defend our freedom. I pay for all my son’s flights home when he does get leave
      and I will continue to use UNITED AIRLINES since ALL of his baggage is
      free as long as it is his military bags.
      3. _# 3 _
      (http://blog.delta.com/2011/06/07/military-travel-baggage-policies-our-thoughts/#comment-6957) Pamssatin Says:
      _June 8th, 2011 at 12:00 am _
      (http://blog.delta.com/2011/06/07/military-travel-baggage-policies-our-thoughts/#comment-6957)
      Delta, you need to fix this immediately!!! Our service members deserve
      better than to have to pay out of pocket for equipment that they are required
      to have!!! If you haven’t already done it, you need to refund every penny
      that they paid!!!!!!
      4. _# 4 _
      (http://blog.delta.com/2011/06/07/military-travel-baggage-policies-our-thoughts/#comment-6958) sparty Says:
      _June 8th, 2011 at 12:11 am _
      (http://blog.delta.com/2011/06/07/military-travel-baggage-policies-our-thoughts/#comment-6958)
      I have shared this story with my friends on Facebook, along with the
      request that they don’t fly Delta. Delta’s actions in this case, and its
      company policy regarding our troops, are beneath contempt. Even if you make this
      particular case “right”, the fact remains that your company policy still
      exists. Whoever thinks this is “good business” should be ashamed of himself
      or herself.
      5. _# 5 _
      (http://blog.delta.com/2011/06/07/military-travel-baggage-policies-our-thoughts/#comment-6959) davehoerst Says:
      _June 8th, 2011 at 12:12 am _
      (http://blog.delta.com/2011/06/07/military-travel-baggage-policies-our-thoughts/#comment-6959)
      I’m a Vietnam vet and will never fly delta air lines again unless all of
      the fees are returned. I don’t care what your policy is and it is an insult
      that you would even quote them on your blog.
      When I came home they spit on us and I vowed then that would never happen
      again and here you are disrespecting our Military.
      I hope you noticed that I didn’t capitalize delta air lines but I did
      capitialize the word Military. That’s were you company belongs on the food
      chain.
      6. _# 6 _
      (http://blog.delta.com/2011/06/07/military-travel-baggage-policies-our-thoughts/#comment-6960) nobrainer Says:
      _June 8th, 2011 at 12:16 am _
      (http://blog.delta.com/2011/06/07/military-travel-baggage-policies-our-thoughts/#comment-6960)
      It’s a no brainer the troops should fly for free check bags for free and
      whatever else they want for free! It’s disgusting that Delta would charge! Do
      they charge Delta when they pay with their life everyday? Just so you can
      go to work and charge them? Really? Shame on Delta! And your response
      should not be one of reaching out! It should be a position of reimbursement and
      a whole hell of a lot more! Unbelievable!
      7. _# 7 _
      (http://blog.delta.com/2011/06/07/military-travel-baggage-policies-our-thoughts/#comment-6961) dgriego Says:
      _June 8th, 2011 at 12:17 am _
      (http://blog.delta.com/2011/06/07/military-travel-baggage-policies-our-thoughts/#comment-6961)
      I will not be flying with Delta anymore because of the treatment of our
      Soldiers today. I am a SKYMILES member. I have used DELTA for all my business
      travel.
      I really do not care what the policy is, these men had orders that allowed
      them 4 bags, you should have taken it up with the government. You should
      have just allowed the bags.
      These men were returning from a war, fought on your behalf and on the
      behalf of all citizens, that we might never again watch airplanes (LIKE YOURS
      DELTA) fly into buildings and murder our citizens, that we might never again
      watch airplanes fall from the sky into fields taking the lives of all
      on-board. HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN DELTA!? HAVE YOU?
      If you must bleed people for extra cash, BLEED us civilians, and cover the
      costs for the men and woman ensuring that your planes fly in safety and
      security! SHAME ON YOU DELTA! I do not care what your stupid contract says.
      THOSE 4TH BAGS SHOULD HAVE BEEN COVERED! They have been bought with blood and
      sweat and tears!
      There is no excuse. Yes they will be reimbursed..eventually but they are
      all short 200$ tonight and 200$ is a lot of money for most all of them. They
      wont be taking their wives out to dinner, they won’t be doing much of
      anything until the 15th rolls around, because you took 200$ from each of them.