INFRAGARD HACK, ISPLA HEARING UPDATE

  • Peter Psarouthakis
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2011
      According to the AP, PCMag.com, and a number of national media outlets,
      LulzSec, the hacking group that has been identified as being behind the
      latest hacking attack and security breaches recently has struck again. The
      latest target in its sights is the private-sector FBI affiliate called
      InfraGard. This past Friday, information was released on the InfraGard hack
      as part of a LulzSec action it referred to as "F**k FBI Friday." The hacking
      organization published InfraGard e-mails, passwords and personal contact
      information for about 180 InfraGard members. The hacking was perpetrated
      against the Atlanta chapter of InfraGard.

      InfraGard is a non-profit 42,000 member organization that connects the
      business community with law enforcement. It includes FBI agents and utilizes
      FBI special agent coordinators at each the bureau's field offices to recruit
      civilians to form local InfraGard chapters. A number of investigative and
      security professionals are members of Infragard.

      Last week the House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Commerce,
      Manufacturing, and Trade, chaired by Rep. Mary Bono Mack [R-CA-45], examined
      high-profile data breaches at Sony and Epsilon. These cyber crimes
      compromised the accounts and personal information of millions of Americans.

      Witnesses who appeared on behalf of Sony and Epsilon before the subcommittee
      detailed accounts of the events following their respective data breaches. A
      month ago they had declined to appear before hearings on this subject. The
      subcommittee was particularly interested in the companies' notification
      protocol following the intrusions.
      Jeanette Fitzgerald, General Counsel of Epsilon Data Management, stated that
      "Epsilon fully supports national legislation that would create a uniform
      standard for data breach notification. The current patchwork of individual
      state breach notification laws only serves to create confusion among
      consumers and businesses and imposes unnecessary compliance costs. On the
      other hand, a uniform national law would provide predictability and equity
      for consumers, regardless of their state of residence, and would make it
      much easier and less costly for business to ensure any applicable
      notification requirements are met."

      Tim Schaaf, President of Sony Network Entertainment International,
      testified: "By working together to enact meaningful cyber-security
      legislation, we can limit the threat posed to us all. We look forward to
      this initiative to ensure that consumers are empowered with the information
      and tools they need to protect themselves from cyber criminals."

      Representative Bono Mack, in a release, pledged her commitment to working
      with her colleagues to pass comprehensive data security legislation to
      ensure Americans are protected from cyber crimes. "These recent data
      breaches only reinforce my long-held belief that much more needs to be done
      to protect sensitive consumer information. Americans need additional
      safeguards to prevent identity theft, and I will soon introduce legislation
      designed to accomplish this goal," said Bono Mack. "While I remain hopeful
      that law enforcement officials will quickly determine the extent of these
      latest cyber attacks, they serve as a reminder that all companies have a
      responsibility to protect personal information and to promptly notify
      consumers when that information has been put at risk. And we have a
      responsibility, as lawmakers, to make certain this happens."

      ISPLA has attended hearings in DC as well as reviewing volumes of testimony
      on numerous congressional bills regarding information security breaches and
      Internet hacking. The FTC and other regulators have weighed in on this issue
      and our efforts are targeted towards ensuring that investigative and
      security professionals not fall under pending legislation or future
      unreasonable regulation.

      Bruce Hulme, Director of Government Affairs

      To join us and financially support the good work of ISPLA please visit
      <http://www.ispla.org/> www.ISPLA.org

      Investigative & Security Professionals for Legislative Action
      235 N. Pine Street, Lansing, Michigan 48933