Re: Interesting ruling about IP Addresses

  • Gregory Martinez
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3 6:13 PM
      It would seem too me that an IP address would fall under the same rules as a home address or business address. So even if this ruling holds up on appeal, governmental authorities could then issue Search Warrants for suspect IP addresses. Also, there are different kinds of subpoenas, for example the Subpoena Duces Tecum (ordering the witness to appear and produce records - not testimony). When I worked for New York State me and my Investigators sometimes issued Subpoena DT's to physical addresses without a person or business entity listed. But I do have too admit none of our targets ever challenged them in Court.

      Regardless, I see no Constitutional problem for Congress and the State Legislatures passing laws specifically granting judges and parties to lawsuits or other legal proceedings the power to order the production of IP information.

      "Hide me from the secret counsel of the wicked; from the insurrection of the workers of iniquity:"
      [Psalms 64:2 - KJV]

      Gregory A. Martinez
      Private Investigator
      NYS PI lD#: 11000157180