Re: [infoguys-list] Forrestville CA

    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 5, 2011
      Mr. Watson:

      Since no one else answered your inquiry, I will. As I said, CA licensees
      do not need to post their license number every time they are engaged in
      conducting business but we sure as heck must when advertising or soliciting
      business. The code you asked for is:

      BPC §7534. Every advertisement by a licensee soliciting or advertising
      business shall contain his or her business name, business address or
      telephone number, and license number as they appear in the records of the bureau.
      For the purposes of this section, "advertisement" shall include any
      business card, stationery, brochure, flyer, circular, newsletter, fax form,
      printed or published paid advertisement in any media form, or telephone book
      listing. Every advertisement by a licensee soliciting or advertising their
      business shall contain his or her business name, business address or telephone
      number, and license number, as they appear in the records of the bureau.

      In a message dated 3/5/2011 7:56:10 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
      angryangel@... writes:

      Posting your license number is a FORUM rule and not an omnipotent global
      law that governs us all…CW check your state laws for that specification.

      In Missouri I am only required to post my License in a “conspicuous
      location in my place of business”, but if the forum requires it then the
      moderators

      Have the option to block a post that is absent this information.

      Once again, unless your state requires it you DO NOT have to post your
      license number in a non-soliciting email.

      Before the flames start please include the statute you are quoting.

      Jesse Watson

      Risk Management Research and Investments, Inc.

      Missouri PI License Number: 2011001785

      Phone: 417-664-1789

      email: _angryangel@..._ (mailto:angryangel@...)

      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 6, 2011
        Okay, I don't understand who was correct here, Sue Sarkis or CW Sellers? Apparently CW Advised Edward Santos that he should have his license number on a post he made here by posting this: "Licensed Investigators in CA. are required to post their license whenever doing business." Apparently Sue Sarkis challenged CW Sellers to "Please show me any law that says we are required to post our license numbers whenever we are DOING BUSINESS".

        So, if I understand correctly, it would seem that CW Sellers believes that Edward Santos SHOULD put his license number on his post; and that Sue Sarkis is saying that it is not necessary under California Law for Edward Santos to put his License Number on his post? Do I have that much right? Did I read that correctly?

        Now if I am to believe the law that Sue Sarkis quotes, it does seem to indicate that CW Sellers was right, I think???

        BPC §7534. Every advertisement by a licensee soliciting or advertising business shall contain his or her business name, business address or telephone number, and license number as they appear in the records of the bureau. For the purposes of this
        section, "advertisement" shall include any business card, stationery, brochure, flyer, circular, newsletter, fax form, printed or published paid advertisement in any media form, or telephone book listing. Every advertisement by a licensee soliciting or advertising their business shall contain his or her business name, business address or telephone number, and license number, as they appear in the records of the bureau.

        The intent of this law that Sue quoted seems to be that your Private Investigation Company Identifiers need to be in all solicitations and advertisements. It also seems that whoever passed this law believes that any communications that the P.I. would have with the general public or a member of the general public whereby they may use their company name would be considered an "advertisement", just from noting that this law requires all of the P.I.'s stationery to have this information on it; understanding that email is considered "stationery" in the "digital sense of the word", you even have a stationery picker in most email programs.....

        Okay, so I am confused.. I don't know if you P.I.'s from California should be posting your license numbers along with your posts here or not? Anyone care to explain their take on this? Perhaps this is just not all that complicated? Perhaps I just look at things WAY too closely, sometimes?

        By the way, I put my license numbers on here because I don't want to give a regulatory board that would go as far as to make up a rule with no statutory authority to deny my license, and then make me have to show them that they were WRONG, any cause to put me under a microscope, although I may already be there. I try REAL hard to "play by the rules", although I am still going to say and write, whatever I want to say and write; within the limits of free speech, public information, and all of the necessary exceptions to free speech.

        Be sure to read my blog: "A Parody of Ass-Hats"!
        http://www.rmriincblog.com

        Ricky Gurley.

        Agency License Number: 2011001124
        Private Investigator License Number: 2011001072

        Direct Office Number: (573) 234-6876
        Office Phone: (573) 234-4647 Ext. 110
        Car Phone: (573) 529-0808
        Cell Phone: (573) 529-4476
        Toll Free Phone: (888) 571-0958
        Toll Free Fax: (877) 795-9800
        EMERGENCY LINE: (573) 234-4871

        RMRI, Inc. Websites
        (1) http://www.rmriinc.com

        RMRI, Inc. Blog
        http://www.rmriincblog.com

        Ricky Gurley.

        .--- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, suesarkis@... wrote:

        > Mr. Watson:
        >
        > Since no one else answered your inquiry, I will. As I said, CA licensees
        > do not need to post their license number every time they are engaged in
        > conducting business but we sure as heck must when advertising or soliciting
        > business. The code you asked for is:
        >
        > BPC §7534. Every advertisement by a licensee soliciting or advertising
        > business shall contain his or her business name, business address or
        > telephone number, and license number as they appear in the records of the bureau.
        > For the purposes of this section, "advertisement" shall include any
        > business card, stationery, brochure, flyer, circular, newsletter, fax form,
        > printed or published paid advertisement in any media form, or telephone book
        > listing. Every advertisement by a licensee soliciting or advertising their
        > business shall contain his or her business name, business address or telephone
        > number, and license number, as they appear in the records of the bureau.
        >

        > In a message dated 3/5/2011 7:56:10 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
        > angryangel@... writes:
        >

        > Posting your license number is a FORUM rule and not an omnipotent global
        > law that governs us all…CW check your state laws for that specification.
        >
        > In Missouri I am only required to post my License in a “conspicuous
        > location in my place of business”, but if the forum requires it then the
        > moderators
        >
        > Have the option to block a post that is absent this information.
        >
        > Once again, unless your state requires it you DO NOT have to post your
        > license number in a non-soliciting email.
        >
        > Before the flames start please include the statute you are quoting.
        >
        > Jesse Watson
        >
        > Risk Management Research and Investments, Inc.
        >
        > Missouri PI License Number: 2011001785
        >
        > Phone: 417-664-1789
        >
        > email: _angryangel@..._ (mailto:angryangel@...)

      • CW Sellers
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 6, 2011
          Guys and Gals and more so Colleagues,

          In the State of California whenever you are conducting business in the acts of advertizing, solicitation, identifying yourself, marketing, printed material and in the realm of professional conduct you need to display your license number. Without posting it, it facilitates non-licensed thieves to do their deeds. I will not hire anyone who does not display their license. When they display their license it allows me to do my due diligence, check the State licensing bureau from their area and confirm that the person or agency is a person and agency in good standing with the local State licensing bureau. If the state does not require a license I check for business licensing and other standards of business practice, all this tells me the person conducts business ethically. In fact, if a person from the State of California is posting without their credentials, i.e. their State licenses posted in their signature block I personally declare them a rogue and give no credit to their statements or suggested direction. Someone in your area I promise is doing business without a license and we promote it when we don’t demand credentials (State License Number).

          So, go on Craig’s List in your area and see just how many unlicensed folks there are out there taking the bread out of your mouth, stealing from you and every other legit and licensed investigator in your area and then you too will set a standard to expose these folks and shut them down.

          Plain and simple, if you post and you say you’re are from California, I and many other in California will “Vet” you and expose you if you are playing the game outside our State rules. I make no bones about that. Our industry need to begin to police itself.

          This is not an issue of RIGHT or WRONG or one of play the semantics game, it’s one of placing our industry on a solid foundation, a foundation of TRUTH and professional ethics.

          Just my ethical two cents. GO GET’EM, EXPOSE UNLICENSED PRACTICE!

          C. W. Sellers
          Owner/Manager of Investigations

          The Sellers Investigative Group

          "Truth Revealed by Professionals”

          CA PI 25415

          Direct: (209) 568-8744

          Field Fax (209) 523-5350

          Email: <mailto:cwsellers@...> cwsellers@...

          PO Box 5

          Ceres, California 95307-0005

          Visit us NOW!

          <http://www.tsigusa.com/> www.TSIGUSA.com

          and on

          LinkedIn.com at

          <http://www.linkedin.com/in/tsigusa> http://www.linkedin.com/in/tsigusa

          CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:

          The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §§ 2510-2521 and are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, copying, or storage of this message or any attachment is strictly prohibited. If you have any reason to believe you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify us immediately by telephone at (209) 568-8744.

          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 6, 2011
            Rick -

            No, you don't have that correctly. I believe if you go back to the post I
            sent I specifically said that Ed did need to have his license number
            included but not because he was "doing business" but rather because he was
            advertising or soliciting work.

            Sue

            _http://www.rmriincblog.com_ (http://www.rmriincblog.com/)

            (1) _http://www.rmriinc.com_ (http://www.rmriinc.com/)
            (2) _http://rmriinc.bestcyberinvestigator.com_

            )

            > 1346 Ethel Street
            > Glendale, CA 91207-1826
            > 818-242-2505

            > thank a military veteran

          • RickyG
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 6, 2011
              Okay Sue; but don't you think that in this particular case that is semantics?

            • Bob Hrodey
              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 6, 2011
                On 3/6/2011 10:52 AM, RickyG wrote:
                > Okay Sue; but don't you think that in this particular case that is semantics?

                I know that I do. Advertising is a part of doing business, as is
                soliciting, as is interviewing, as is sending out a bill, as is...

                Just post the damn number and be done with it. What does it cost you to
                err on the side of caution? Better yet, what does it cost you if you
                fail to post it/include it when required and you find some bureaucrat
                who actually is awake and moving and needs some easy numbers so that
                he/she can go back to playing Solitaire on his/her computer for the
                balance of the pay period?

                --
                Enjoy,

                /Bob/
                Hrodey & Associates Established 1977
                NAPPS
                Woodstock, IL 60098-0366 NCISS, & P.A.W.L.I.
                Licensed in IL & WI (815) 337-4636 Voice
                337-4638 Fax
                email: inquiry@... or rth@...
                Illinois License 115-000783 Wisconsin 8045-063

                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 6, 2011
                  Rick and all,

                  No, I don't believe it is semantics at all.

                  If I am sending a report to an attorney client, my letterhead does not need
                  to have my license number on it. But, if I am sending a bunch of
                  self-introductory letters to a number of attorneys trying to solicit business, it
                  does need to be present.

                  If I'm at a social/business meeting (mixer) with a bunch of attorneys and
                  an attorney that has known me for years says, "Sue, give me your number
                  'cause I need to discuss something with you" and I hand them a business card,
                  it does not need to have my license number on it. However, if I attend the
                  same meeting and I'm handing out business cards to every attorney I see, it
                  must have my license number on it.

                  Am I going to have two (2) sets of stationery and business cards? Of
                  course not. So, needless to say, all of my stationery and business cards have
                  my license number on them.

                  If I'm passing out flyers on behalf of a family regarding a "missing
                  person" and my contact information is on the flyer, I do not need to have my
                  license number as I am not soliciting business nor am I advertising. However,
                  you best believe my license number will be there because: 1) I want the
                  public to realize the legitimacy of the flyer; and, 2) I sure as heck hope
                  people will take note and call me if ever in need (subliminal advertising).

                  As the code says, "Every advertisement by a licensee soliciting or
                  advertising business...".

                  This listserv group does not mandate including a license number contrary to
                  what was previously alleged. However, depending upon the intent of a
                  post, sometimes I include the information and other times I don't.

                  Sincerely,
                  Sue

                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 6, 2011
                    Sue,

                    Let me restate my question, with particular emphasis on an important part of the question please.

                    "Okay Sue; but don't you think that IN THIS PARTICULAR CASE that is semantics?"

                    In other words, IN THIS CASE the substance of what Mr. Sellers stated to Mr. Santos was correct. Yes?

                    I am just wondering why or how your post made any difference in this thread? I mean it appears that you and Mr. Sellers are in complete agreement as far as this thread goes....

                    Message 9 of 28 , Mar 6, 2011
                      WOW, we are really reaching here Sue to be right! All printed material business cards and stationary require State License cement. I will settle all of this I will inquire from BSIS in CA and post the results. Dome times Sue you take thing yo far off base. Are you for the betterment of the industry or for cutting corners. Maybe Chris Butler has a job for you on his team.

                      When in doubt, I always go to the HOSES mouth instead of listening ti an ASS!

                      I will report back

                      Message 10 of 28 , Mar 6, 2011
                        Boy are we back peddling now!

                        Message 11 of 28 , Mar 6, 2011
                          CW -

                          Unless you speak to legal counsel for BSIS, I don't care what some clerk
                          tells you.

                          I have testified FOR THE STATE on this very same issue many years ago and
                          the judge found against the licensee. Although his was a blatant
                          violation, the written decision clearly stated that if he was just report writing
                          the letterhead could be "naked" as it was referred to. However, since the
                          letters were all solicitous, he was in violation.

                          It's what their lawyers and the ALJs say that matters.

                          Sue

                        • oracleintl@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 28 , Mar 6, 2011
                            It isn't about who I happen to agree with - as we all know, I often
                            disagree with Sue.

                            On the other hand, whether we agree or disagree, argue and debate, or
                            engage in vehement dispute, I'd be quite shocked to see Sue resort to calling
                            me (or anyone else) childish names.

                            Communication, the ability to articulate an argument, to me able to make a
                            compelling and credible case for one's position is the essence of this
                            business. Trash talk only serves to diminish whatever viability one's
                            position might otherwise have; all these glaring mistakes related to spelling,
                            grammar and syntax don't help much either.

                            Bill

                            Message 13 of 28 , Mar 6, 2011
                              I'm impressed!

                              On Mar 6, 2011, at 12:08 PM, suesarkis@... wrote:

> [...]
                              > > advertising business...".
                              > >
                              > > This listserv group does not mandate including a license number contrary
                              > > what was previously alleged. However, depending upon the intent of a
                              > > post, sometimes I include the information and other times I don't.
                              > >
                              > > Sincerely,
                              > > Sue
                              > >

                              > > In a message dated 3/6/2011 8:52:28 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                              > > _rmriinc@..._ (mailto:rmriinc@...) writes:
                              > >
                              > > Okay Sue; but don't you think that in this particular case that is
                              > > semantics?
                              > >
                              > > Ricky Gurley.
                              > >
                              > > --
                              > > Risk Management Research & Investments, Inc. & Thoth Data Systems
                              > > Agency License Number: 2011001124
                              > > Private Investigator License Number: 2011001072
                              > >
                              > > Mailing Address: 2101 W. Broadway PMB 326, Columbia, MO. 65203
                              > > Office Address: 1 E. Broadway Suite Z, Columbia, MO. 65203

                            • Jesse Watson
                              Message 14 of 28 , Mar 6, 2011
                                I really would like to see a statute from any state that stipulates that our
                                emails to a list-serv that is not an advertising service must contain our
                                license numbers.

                                Any relevant case law would be nice too.

                                Message 15 of 28 , Mar 6, 2011
                                  I agree to a point, Bill...

                                  But I have seen you call people a few names that I thought were quite hilarious. And even though you did, I never once took that to mean that you were unprofessional, not a good communicator, or not a highly intelligent man. As a matter of fact, often times I thought the names that you used may have even added to a better quality of communication when you were trying to make a point. And there is nobody in this business that I respect as a competent professional more than I do you despite how you may choose voice your opinion; because I think I have a pretty good estimation of your abilities based on reading your reports from your website, some of the topics that you have discussed and your knowledge of those topics, and some of the conversations that I have had with you.

                                  Personally, I have become quite fond of the name "Ass-Hat", and have taken to using it copiously when addressing MORONS!

                                  --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, oracleintl@... wrote:

                                  > It isn't about who I happen to agree with - as we all know, I often
                                  > disagree with Sue.
                                  >
                                  > On the other hand, whether we agree or disagree, argue and debate, or
                                  > engage in vehement dispute, I'd be quite shocked to see Sue resort to calling
                                  > me (or anyone else) childish names.
                                  >
                                  > Communication, the ability to articulate an argument, to me able to make a
                                  > compelling and credible case for one's position is the essence of this
                                  > business. Trash talk only serves to diminish whatever viability one's
                                  > position might otherwise have; all these glaring mistakes related to spelling,
                                  > grammar and syntax don't help much either.
                                  >

                                  > Bill
                                  >

                                  > In a message dated 3/6/2011 1:36:06 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                  > cwsellers@... writes:
                                  >
                                  > WOW, we are really reaching here Sue to be right! All printed material
                                  > business cards and stationary require State License cement. I will settle all
                                  > of this I will inquire from BSIS in CA and post the results. Dome times Sue
                                  > you take thing yo far off base. Are you for the betterment of the industry
                                  > or for cutting corners. Maybe Chris Butler has a job for you on his team.
                                  >
                                  > When in doubt, I always go to the HOSES mouth instead of listening ti an
                                  > ASS!
                                  >
                                  > I will report back
                                  >
                                  > C. W. Sellers

                                • CW Sellers
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Mar 6, 2011
                                    Thanks Bill for your words of wisdom. There was no trash talk intended in any of my communication just the calling of a spade a spade. As for the "glaring" mistakes in spelling connected to grammar and syntax guess you don't own an iPhone, it's always trying to think for you and changes spelling at will. Really gota check things before hitting the send button.

                                    Oh, by the way, thanks for shifting the spotlight off issue.

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Mar 6, 2011
                                      I cannot imagine any State having such a law. I don't think anyone could
                                      provide it and, if they could, I would sure as heck like to read it. Did
                                      someone imply that such a law exists?

                                      Sue

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Mar 6, 2011
                                        Oh yes indeed, I do own an Iphone and that explains a LOT! That damn
                                        thing is forever screwing me up.

                                        Always a pleasure to segue into off-topic Diversionville.

                                        Bill