Re: [infoguys-list] The Trojan Check

  • oracleintl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 8, 2011
      Thanks for your opinion Sue, but it's just an opinion and I disagree.

      I can tell you that a diligent search reveals no GLB related cases having
      anything to do with trojan checks.

      Now, if you think you can get the government to make a case, I'll just
      confess. Really, tell them that you have identified a habitual offender with
      no intention of changing his ways - I'll sign a confession.

      You are entitled to your interpretation of "pretext" but I see no support
      for it. If I send you a check, there is nothing pretextual about it and
      you cash it, or not, knowing that if you do I will be able to see where it
      was cashed as part of the normal course of business.

      Bill E. Branscum, Investigator
      Oracle International
      Naples, FL 34101
      (239) 304-1639 V
      (239) 304-1640 F
      (239) 641-6782 C

      In a message dated 2/8/2011 3:39:01 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      suesarkis@... writes:

      Rick -

      Of course using a Trojan Check is a violation of federal law. The
      Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, which many of us vigorously and vehemently fought,
      left no
      loopholes for us to hide behind.

      15 USC 6821 clearly states that it is a felony (15 USC 6823) to attempt to
      obtain or successfully obtain customer information using any false
      pretense. It can't be much clearer than that. Remember, it was members of
      our
      own industry that educated Congress and the FTC the various ways we
      discover
      such information. They (Congress), in turn, made sure they covered every
      loophole.

      Now, if anyone here believes for one second that a Trojan Check is not a
      false pretense, go get your head examined. Better yet, buy my bridge. All
      ruses and pretexts are forbidden.

      If my memory serves me correctly, however, there are exemptions for "child
      support" back payment recovery but even for those cases, I believe a
      specific court order is required.

      ________________________

      _www.sarkispi.com_ (_http://www.sarkispi.com/_ (http://www.sarkispi.com/) )

      thank a military veteran

    • RickyG
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 8, 2011
        Sue,

        I am just looking for opinions.. Not really trying to start a debate (and we all know that most of the time I AM trying to start a debate when I post here). Of course though, a debate on this topic may actually be beneficial to some people. But I'd like to inject some information as we go along here, anyway...

        First, Most people "quote" GLB and have never read it... To me, the proof of that is when someone says or posts something like this: "Well GLB states that you can not use a pretext for a customer's financial information". And I know, because I HAVE read GLB that the word "pretext" is nowhere in GLB. But, the word "False Pretenses" IS.

        Second, GLB DOES clearly outline the definition of "False Pretenses":
        Subtitle B, Section 521(a)(2), which states:

        SEC. 521. PRIVACY PROTECTION FOR CUSTOMER INFORMATION OF FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS.

        (a) PROHIBITION ON OBTAINING CUSTOMER INFORMATION BY FALSE PRETENSES.—It shall be a violation of this subtitle for any person to obtain or attempt to obtain, or cause to be disclosed or attempt to cause to be disclosed to any person, customer information of a financial institution relating to another person—

        (1) by making a false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation to an officer, employee, or agent of a financial institution;

        (2) by making a false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation to a customer of a financial institution; or

        (3) by providing any document to an officer, employee, or agent of a financial institution, knowing that the document is forged, counterfeit, lost, or stolen, was fraudulently obtained, or contains a false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation.

        And third, the Federal Government has in fact known about the "Trojan Check" since at least 2005, and I can find no prosecution for it nowhere, no matter how much I search.

        Here is how I know that the Federal Government has been aware of the "Trojan Check" since 2005:

        In 2005 as you can read here in Robert Douglas's Testimony before The United State Senate Committee on the Judiciary: http://bit.ly/i0QtaX where he states:
        "Another method that is becoming more common is the use of a "Trojan check". An investigator or broker will create a fictitious business name and open a checking account in that business name. A small check will be mailed to the target as a "rebate" or "prize" stamped on the back "for deposit only". Once the check has been deposited and is returned to the fictitious company the banking information obtained on the back of the check can be used to further the pretext to determine the amount of funds held in the account. There is great debate in the investigative and broker communities as to the legality of this practice given Gramm-Leach-Bliley and the deceptive trade practices statutes. While the debate continues, so does the practice."

        Now this is not meant to be argumentative, it is just more information to consider before anyone gives their opinion or revises their opinion.

        Ricky Gurley.

        Agency License Number: 2011001124
        Private Investigator License Number: 2011001072

        Direct Office Number: (573) 234-6876
        Office Phone: (573) 234-4647 Ext. 110
        Car Phone: (573) 529-0808
        Cell Phone: (573) 529-4476
        Toll Free Phone: (888) 571-0958
        Toll Free Fax: (877) 795-9800
        EMERGENCY LINE: (573) 234-4871

        RMRI, Inc. Websites
        (1) http://www.rmriinc.com

        RMRI, Inc. Blogs

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 8, 2011
          Bill -

          At the hearings the FTC made it loud and clear as to the intent and
          enforcement of the law.

          Now, I agree in part. If I walk into a bakery, make a purchase, and pay
          by check, of course the bakery's banking information is going to be on the
          check and nothing is wrong with that transaction.

          However, if the subject of an investigation that I have been hired to find
          out information on owns that bakery and it is not a place where I have ever
          been before, I believe a case could be made against me based on the clear
          and unambiguous wording of the law. By tendering the check with the true
          intent of obtaining the bank account information from the bank on this
          subject, I believe that I have provided a document under false pretenses and
          representation. That doesn't mean I would not defend myself in total accord
          with your statement.

          HOWEVER, in going over and reading what I just copied to insert in here, I
          do see and had forgotten that not only are there exemptions (located
          elsewhere) regarding backpay on child support, anyone working as an agent of an
          insurance institution is also exempt for certain types of investigations
          which would include all of the ones we'd be involved with. My having
          forgotten about that truly pisses me off since I've seriously looked over my
          shoulder a heck of a lot over the past 2 years for a couple of cases I worked.
          Shoot, I'm home free.

[...]
          (b) PROHIBITION ON SOLICITATION OF A PERSON TO OBTAIN CUSTOMER INFORMATION
          FROM FINANCIAL INSTITUTION UNDER FALSE PRETENSES.—It shall be a violation
          of this subtitle to request
          a person to obtain customer information of a financial institution,
          knowing that the person will obtain, or attempt to obtain, the information from
          the institution in any manner described in subsection (a).
          (c) NONAPPLICABILITY TO LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES.—No provision of this
          section shall be construed so as to prevent any action by a law enforcement
          agency, or any officer, employee, or
          agent of such agency, to obtain customer information of a financial
          institution in connection with the performance of the official duties of the
          agency.
          (d) NONAPPLICABILITY TO FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS IN CERTAIN CASES.—No
          provision of this section shall be construed so as to prevent any financial
          institution, or any officer, employee, or agent of a financial institution, from
          obtaining customer information of such financial institution in the course
          of—
          (1) testing the security procedures or systems of such institution for
          maintaining the confidentiality of customer information;
          (2) investigating allegations of misconduct or negligence on the part of
          any officer, employee, or agent of the financial institution; or
          (3) recovering customer information of the financial institution which was
          obtained or received by another person in any manner described in
          subsection (a) or (b).
          (e) NONAPPLICABILITY TO INSURANCE INSTITUTIONS FOR INVESTIGATION OF
          INSURANCE FRAUD.—No provision of this section shall be construed so as to prevent
          any insurance institution, or any officer, employee, or agency of an
          insurance institution, from obtaining information as part of an insurance
          investigation into criminal activity, fraud, material misrepresentation, or
          material nondisclosure that is authorized for such institution under State law,
          regulation, interpretation, or order.

          ________________________

          thank a military veteran

        • Bob Hrodey
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 8, 2011
            RickyG, wrote the following at or about 2/8/2011 3:13 PM:
            > Sue,
            >
            > I am just looking for opinions.. Not really trying to start a debate (and we all know that most of the time I AM trying to start a debate when I post here). Of course though, a debate on this topic may actually be beneficial to some people. But I'd like to inject some information as we go along here, anyway...
            >
            > First, Most people "quote" GLB and have never read it... To me, the proof of that is when someone says or posts something like this: "Well GLB states that you can not use a pretext for a customer's financial information". And I know, because I HAVE read GLB that the word "pretext" is nowhere in GLB. But, the word "False Pretenses" IS.
            >
            > Second, GLB DOES clearly outline the definition of "False Pretenses":
            > Subtitle B, Section 521(a)(2), which states:
            >
            > SEC. 521. PRIVACY PROTECTION FOR CUSTOMER INFORMATION OF FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS.
            >
            > (a) PROHIBITION ON OBTAINING CUSTOMER INFORMATION BY FALSE PRETENSES.---It shall be a violation of this subtitle for any person to obtain or attempt to obtain, or cause to be disclosed or attempt to cause to be disclosed to any person, customer information of a financial institution relating to another person---
            >
            > (1) by making a false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation to an officer, employee, or agent of a financial institution;
            >
            > (2) by making a false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation to a customer of a financial institution; or

            I see where Sue is coming from and I see where you and Bill are coming
            from. IMHO, this is a "gray area" which may or may not be colored in by
            some overzealous prosecutor who is receiving his/her marching orders
            from "on high." What do I mean? Well, for one thing we have the
            federal agencies constantly trying to expand their control and kingdom
            to keep us "serfs" in line. Remember the FCRA as amended back in the
            '90's? The one that the FTC turned inside out to mean that before we
            could conduct an investigation into employee misconduct, we had to have
            the miscreant's permission and even then we had to give him all the
            evidence, witnesses names and addresses, etc before the employer could
            be disciplined? That said he could demand a re-investigation at the
            cost of the employer if he disagreed? Okay, I don't know anyone that
            got run through the courts on that one, but I know a LOT of people who
            walked clear of anything like that until such time as Congress passed
            remedial legislation that THEY (the Congress said was unnecessary, but
            the FTC said was).

            Fast forward to the present... Like you, Rick, I don't know of any
            prosecutions so far and I'm assuming that Bill doesn't either. He ain't
            stoopid... if there was somebody out there roping in the Trojans (other
            than the ones in the little foil packets, oops, them's Troj-Enz) he
            probably wouldn't be here confessing.

            Think about it a minute. Let's say you do a REALLY good job using one
            of those Trojan checks and nail your debtor to the cross. He may well
            take offense at his own stupidity and your ingenuity. What happens if
            he runs to a Congresscreep that needs a cause today since extended cap
            magazines and black plastic assault weapons are so boring?

            I suspect, no, I KNOW, there's gotta be some retard US Attorney that
            would push the limits and say that a "A small check will be mailed to
            the target as a "rebate" or "prize" stamped on the back "for deposit
            only". [coming from a non-existent business for a non-existent rebate or
            contest]" is enough for the camel to slip his nose under the tent and
            reach over and bite somebody's ass.

            As we all know and are so fond of saying.... Anyone can file a suit and
            the cost of defending, even if you win, can kill you.

            My two cents.

            --

            Enjoy,

            /Bob/
            Hrodey & Associates Established 1977
            NAPPS
            Woodstock, IL 60098-0366 NCISS, & P.A.W.L.I.
            Licensed in IL & WI (815) 337-4636 Voice
            337-4638 Fax
            email: inquiry@... <mailto:inquiry@...> or
            rth@... <mailto:rth@...>
            Illinois License 115-000783 Wisconsin 8045-063

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 8, 2011
              Rick -

              And he testified about that same thing in the 90's. He was one of the
              ones I referred to when I said words to the effect, "...people in our own
              industry...". He and EPIC and a few others have been the largest thorns in our
              sides for decades. For those of us who lived the nightmare, it was
              painful.

              Here's a portion of an article written July 1, 1999 by Washington Post
              staff writers -

              The House Rules Committee, which sets parameters for debate on House
              legislation, last night dropped the Commerce Committee provision when it melded
              competing bills that emerged from the Commerce and Banking Committees. The
              committee did decide that lawmakers could debate an amendment that would
              give consumers only the ability to limit the sharing of financial information
              to outside, unaffiliated companies for marketing. That provision also would
              require companies for the first time to create and distribute privacy
              policies. Democrats withdrew their sponsorship of the privacy amendment and
              vowed to vote against Republican procedural proposals today, however, because
              of an unrelated dispute over language dealing with redlining.

              The legislation going to the floor will also ban a practice known as
              "pretext calling" in which information brokers and private investigators use
              deception and trickery to obtain financial information. In an exception
              sponsored by Rep. Ed Royce (R-Calif.), however, the practice would be allowed when
              private investigators have a judge's approval and are working on a case
              involving court-ordered child support.
              Robert Douglas, a private investigator who has spoken before Congress
              about the practice and is skeptical about the exception, said that "what it's
              really about is getting one loophole they will expand over time."
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              The word PRETEXT does not have to exist anywhere within the document. It
              clearly identifies using any ruse just by the plain, clear and simple
              language that everyone should be able to understand. A FALSE PRETENSE is a
              PRETEXT. It is a RUSE.
              Sincerely,

            • RickyG
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 8, 2011
                Bill,

                My question to you is this:

                In the case of using a "Trojan Check"; could a Federal Prosecutor make a case out of this simply from "intent"..?

                In other words; "Bill P.I." gets a call from a person that invested a bunch of money in "Greedy Scammer Sue's" investment scheme and got "ripped". You want to find out where "Greedy Scammer Sue" banks so you send her a check for $10.00. She cashes it. You have where she banks at. This comes up in court somewhere. Some Prosecutor charges you. You have to answer these questions:

                Bill P.I.: Do you personally know Sue?

                Bill P.I.: Have you ever done any business with Sue?

                Bill P.I.: Did oyu owe Sue any money?

                Bill P.I.: What were your intentions when you sent Sue that check?

                Can that be enough to prosecute a case like this?

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 8, 2011
                  Rick -

                  Robert Douglas has been complaining about our industry since way before
                  2005. He testified at each and every hearing, I do believe, at least one
                  time starting back in 1998 as it came to the GLB. He also testified when it
                  came to phone record privacy and anything else that we, as an industry, do in
                  the normal course and scope of our employment. He was the downfall of all
                  of the 20+ that were subpoenaed before Congress.

                  If anyone is interested in some of his sweet contents, visit -

                  _http://www.privacytoday.com/bankingtestimony-98.htm_
                  (http://www.privacytoday.com/bankingtestimony-98.htm)

                  _http://www.privacytoday.com/bankingtestimony2000.htm_
                  (http://www.privacytoday.com/bankingtestimony2000.htm)

                  For that matter, his entire website at _www.privacytoday.com_
                  (http://www.privacytoday.com) is enough to make you regurgitate. What ticked me off
                  the most is that the majority of the people he complained about were, in
                  fact, the very same people many of us complained about to our licensing
                  agencies who did actually nothing about them.

                  I remember one of those brought before Congress was giving a teleconference
                  seminar over in Burbank. A relatively new licensee was promoting the
                  conference and trying to get people signed up, presumably for free entrance
                  herself. I told her that she was out of her ever loving mind getting
                  involved with that person since everything she did violated the law. A couple
                  years later when the hearings started, the local PI tried to claim to me that
                  she really didn't get involved with her. UGH !!!!

                  Anyway, what I say here is basically the same as I used to say to my CE
                  bail agent students when the class would first start. I would say, "Hi, for
                  those of you who do not know me, I'm Sue Sarkis. I'm not here to tell you
                  how to run your businesses. What I am here for is to make certain that
                  when you walk out those doors after the classes are over, that you know
                  precisely what the law says. What you do with that knowledge is up to you.".

                  Have a great night all !!

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 8, 2011
                    In a message dated 2/8/2011 1:43:55 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                    rth@... writes:

                    As we all know and are so fond of saying.... Anyone can file a suit and
                    the cost of defending, even if you win, can kill you.
                    Bob said it well. Aside from that, anyone who knows me knows full well
                    that I have always been the Devil's Advocate. I always go to the extremes
                    because anything is possible.

                    I was working with the defense for the very first federal prosecution for
                    "keylogging". Everyone on these lists involved in those conversations back
                    then were positive he was going to be convicted. I was the only one
                    positive he wouldn't. He wasn't !!

                    I was working with the defense for the very first federal prosecution for
                    "phone records illegally obtained".

                    Although I have not heard of any "Trojan Check" cases out there but bear in
                    mind, that doesn't mean there haven't been a lot of them. I personally
                    would not be touting my arrest to the industry had such an event ever
                    occurred. Since the vast majority of criminal cases never get appealed, without
                    local press coverage, we never know about them.

                    I'm sure glad I'm semi-retired. Retirement is just around the corner !!!!

                    Sincerely,

                  • Slipinn@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 8, 2011
                      Rick,

                      I believe it boil's down to "probable cause" considering the body of the
                      crime and the element's. I think it is just a matter of when before
                      someone is made an example.

                      1. Was a pretense used to gain financial information? Yes
                      2. Was the Intent to cause a disclosure by pretense? Yes

                      I believe that any prosecutor could find "PC" to make the charge. While
                      this may have been overlooked for the past few years I would hate to be the
                      example case.

                      Would a jury convict based on the elements and Body of the crime? Probably
                      so.

                      Pretense, ruse, and intent are the key word's here. The objective?.... to
                      obtain financial information.

                      Just my thought's on the matter.

                      Chuck Chambers

                      Chambers Investigations
                      606 49th st w
                      Bradenton, Florida 34209
                      Phone 941-798-3804
                      Lic# A-0001959

                      (_http://www.privacytoday.com_ (http://www.privacytoday.com/) ) is enough

                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 8, 2011
                        Sue,

                        I know who Robert Douglas is. I got off of the phone with him 60 minutes ago, almost to the minute....

                        He does a lot of "Talk Radio" now. To my surprise, he informed me that he used to be a P.I.. He also informed me about testifying on these issues in the 90s.

                        His position on this is that it is just a "Gray Area" like Bob said. But even so, he did not think that a Federal Prosecutor would waste his or her time on something like this considering the events we have going on in our world today.

                        He seemed a little dismayed that there is no clear frame of reference one way or the other in regards to the legalities of using the "Trojan Check"..

                        He DID say that Debt Collectors might run into problems with using "Trojan Checks" under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act because the language there is very broad.

                        He also even said that if he were going to use a "Trojan Check" he would not be too worried about being prosecuted for it.

                        I have to say, he was a pretty nice guy, he seemed very reasonable and cautious not to say anything that might mislead me.

                        But the point here had nothing at all to do with Robert Dourglas or his character, really. The point was that the Federal Government has been aware of the use of "Trojan Checks" since at least 2005 and I and many others can't find one single case involving a prosecution for their use......

                        Take from that what you may.....

                      • TSCM/SO Group
                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 8, 2011
                          Sounds like it falls into the same category of events that takes place when
                          someone attempts to turn over an illegal listening device to a fed LE
                          agency.

                          You are greeted, thanked for your information, the device goes into a old
                          sneaker box on a shelf in the back, never to be seen again...

                          If it's a civil matter you get greeted with sorry,were too busy,it's a civil
                          matter you may want etc etc etc

                          And the beat goes on...

                          Mitch Davis

                          TSCM/Special Operations Group Inc.

                          20 Music Square West,Suite 208

                          Nashville, TN. 37203 USA

                          615.251.0441

                          Fax 615.523.0300

                          www.tscmusa.com

                          confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader
                          of this message is not the intended recipient or agent responsible for
                          delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
                          that any dissemination or copying of this communication is strictly
                          prohibited. If you have received this electronic transmission in error,
                          please delete it from your system without copying it and notify the sender
                          by reply e-mail so that the email address record can be corrected. Thank
                          you.