Re: [infoguys-list] Back To Work!

  • oracleintl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 14, 2011
      You're welcome and good luck,

      Bill

      In a message dated 1/13/2011 6:54:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      rmriinc@... writes:

      Hello all,

      I don't know if you have noticed or not, but I have been off of the groups
      for a while. Well, I have been off of the groups due to a long legal
      battle in Missouri's Administrative Law Department. I would like to elaborate,
      and update everyone here.

      In 2010 Missouri started licensing P.I.'s and did away with municipal
      licensing. In April of 2010 I submitted and application and was denied a P.I.
      license.

      I appealed the denial from the Missouri Board of Private Investigator
      Examiners to the Administrative Hearing Commission (The A.H.C.:
      _http://oa.mo.gov/ahc/_ (http://oa.mo.gov/ahc/) ). On December 14, 2010 the A.H.C. ruled
      in my favor and found that there were no grounds to deny my application for
      licensure. Furthermore the A.H.C. found that the regulation that the
      Missouri Board of Private Investigator Examiners used to deny my license "lacks
      the requisite statutory support" and "the regulation is invalid" and has "no
      statutory authority". I am happy to share the ruling with anyone
      interested, and it should be up on the A.H.C. Website next week.

      As of yesterday Jan. 12, 2011 a phone conference was convened between the
      Missouri Board of Private Investigator Examiners at 3:30 pm. As of today
      Jan 13, 2011 the Missouri Board of Private Investigator Examiners did what
      they should have done in the first place and granted my license which is now
      listed on the Missouri Occupational Licensing Website and can be searched
      and found here: _https://renew.pr.mo.gov/licensee-search.asp_
      (https://renew.pr.mo.gov/licensee-search.asp)

      This has been a very interesting time, in which I have learned a lot and
      it has actually been a positive experience. It has made me consider a few
      things; and I have decided to do whatever I can to legally assist those that
      have occupational licensing issues here in Missouri. Whenever a person is
      improperly denied an occupational license, it can have a severely negative
      impact on many aspects of that person's life. And I want to help those that
      are suffering that type of negative impact from improper occupational
      license denial issues.

      My work on this issue is FAR from finished. I am in the process of
      following through with more legal action. I intend to bring all of the resources I
      can to bare in attempting to make a positive change to P.I. Licensing in
      Missouri and to pursuing legal recourse to hold those accountable for what
      occurred in my particular case. So, there is still A LOT going on in regards
      to my intentions with Missouri P.I. Licensing.

      I will be updating this group and a few others as more information becomes
      available and public on my pending legal actions.

      On this group I'd like to thank Bill Branscum who was very supportive
      during the time that I was having this legal battle. Bill gave my attorney a
      few ideas that I believe we will be seeing made actionable in the near
      future. A P.I. having this type of problem could not do better than to have Bill
      Branscum on their side. Thank you, Bill.

      I am now back!

      Ricky B. Gurley
      _http://www.rmriinc.com_ (http://www.rmriinc.com/) (Check Out The "About
      Us" Page)

    • dcc7
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 15, 2011
        Good for you! I applaud your persistence and moxie. Frankly, I don't believe in licensing, period, for almost all professions (including ours). It is usually just a thinly veiled attempt to limit entrants. The consumer will quickly figure out who is good and who isn't. Or, as in Mississipi, an industry association will sprout up that vets its members and can be used by consumers as part of their hiring decision.

        Although I am required to have a license by law in Tennessee, I don't go so far as thinking that this so-called "status" was ever any sign of competence. The exam had nothing to do with practical skill.

        David C. Childe, CFA
        Principal
        Legal Research & Investigation
        Memphis, TN