Funny Story - Classic River Belts & Don Hume

  • oracleintl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2011
      I thought you guys might enjoy a funny story about a recent experience I
      had.

      Something more than thirty years ago, I bought a belt to use with a
      holster. It was a Don Hume made belt of the style often called a "river belt,"
      favored by the Border Patrol.

      I finally wore it out so I contacted Don Hume Leather in an effort to
      replace it - what do you guys have that has lasted you thirty plus years? They
      don't make that belt anymore, and their replacement didn't appeal to me,
      so I spoke to their customer service people in an effort to find an old
      stock belt that might not be catalogued anymore, or persuade them to make me
      one to the old specs.

      I basically told them that I was trying to replace a belt that had seen me
      through thirty years, dozens of cars, a dozen dogs, a half dozen kids and
      more ex-wives than I preferred to admit . . . just make it for me - I'll
      take them in black and brown and cheerfully pay whatever it costs.

      To say that they were not helpful would be overly generous.

      If I had a company bearing my name, I would be a bit annoyed by this -
      what's the use of making a product so well that a customer would go to extreme
      links to get another one if you aren't going to be responsive to them when
      they come back?

      I be a detective . . . I located and contacted Don Hume at home.

      He is old now, and retired. He explained that he sold his business long
      ago, which would explain my experience - he told me that if he was still
      running things, things would be different. He is one of those old school guys
      you have to like. We chatted about things for about an hour.

      He told me that he would see that I had the belts I wanted. His grandson,
      Jason Winnie, continues with the family tradition. He made the connection
      and Jason made me the belts, one that was absolutely identical to the one
      I sent him, and three more [black/brown/cordovan] that he customized
      slightly.

      Once I received them, I called Don Hume again and told him that I would
      never be doing business with his grandson again - the belts were better than
      perfect but since my one, original belt lasted me more than thirty years,
      at my age, I'll not live to need anymore!

      He thought that was wonderfully amusing. We talked a good bit more about
      the old days, and he invited me to come visit with him - which I intend to.

      It's Friday, it's time to relax! I just thought you guys might enjoy this
      little segue from whatever it is that you're doing.

      Bill E. Branscum, Investigator
      Oracle International
      Naples, FL 34101
      (239) 304-1639 V
      (239) 304-1640 F
      (239) 641-6782 C

    • SPINTELWEB@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7, 2011
        No wonder we haven't see Bill in weeks... j/k lol

        Steve

        _www.FraudsAndScams.com_ (_http://www.FraudsAndScams.com_
        (http://www.fraudsandscams.com/) )

      • milgrp2001@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 8, 2011
          In a message dated 1/8/2011 3:53:30 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com writes:

          I thought you guys might enjoy a funny story about a recent experience I

          had.

          Bill:

          Good story! You have proven once again that persistence (your trademark)
          pays off.

          Best Regards,
          Brad Robinson, Senior Partner
          The Millennium Group
          120 S. Olive Ave., Suite 310
          West Palm Beach, FL 33401
          Tel. (561) 655-2001
          Fax: (561) 655-2010
          www.MillenniumGroup2001.com
          "Florida-based -- internationally connected"