Blackberry Tracking

  • Boerger Investigative Services, LLC
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 20 11:40 AM
      Dear List Members:

      I have a client who claims that her estranged husband has placed a tracking
      card on her and his daughter's cell phone which diverts telephone calls and
      text messages to his Blackberry. She is claiming that an employee at the
      Verizon store told her that this type device is only available to federal
      law enforcement.

      Is this technology available on the free market? Are there any
      countermeasures that may be taken? Would this violate any federal
      wiretapping laws? Any information would be helpful.

      Thanking everyone in advance for their anticipated responses.

      Dean Boerger
      Chief Investigator
      Boerger Investigative Services, LLC

      ( 877.754.8295| 7 800.377.8772 | * dean@...
      Licensed in OH, IN, WV & DC
      Main Web: <http://www.boergerpi.com/> www.boergerpi.com

      BIS Companies:
      Strategic Training Group, LLC
      Web: www.strategictraining.org

      Surveillance Support Technologies, LTD
      Web: <http://www.spygearcenter.com/> www.spygearcenter.com

      Active Member:
      IAPI - Past President | PISPWV - VP Education
      Web: <http://www.iapi.net/> www.iapi.net Web: www.pispwv.org
      NALI, NCISS, NSPII, OIA, OATIA, SOFAIA

    • TSCM/SO Group
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 20 11:47 AM
        See flexispy, smartguard, cellrecon, and check crackberry.com, theres other
        apps that will do this

        Mitch Davis
        TSCM/Special Operations Group
        20 Music Square West,Suite 208
        Nashville,TN 37203 USA
        615 251 0441
        Fax 615 523 0300
        mitchd@...
        <http://www.tscmusa.com> www.tscmusa.com

        "maintaining a higher degree of excellence"
        ******************************
        Tools for investigators at <http://www.covertworx.com/> www.covertworx.com

        I have a client who claims that her estranged husband has placed a tracking
        card on her and his daughter's cell phone which diverts telephone calls and
        text messages to his Blackberry. She is claiming that an employee at the
        Verizon store told her that this type device is only available to federal
        law enforcement.

        Is this technology available on the free market? Are there any
        countermeasures that may be taken? Would this violate any federal
        wiretapping laws? Any information would be helpful.

        Thanking everyone in advance for their anticipated responses.

        Dean Boerger
        Chief Investigator
        Boerger Investigative Services, LLC

        ( 877.754.8295| 7 800.377.8772 | * dean@...
        <mailto:dean%40boergerpi.com>
        Licensed in OH, IN, WV & DC
        Main Web: <http://www.boergerpi.com/> www.boergerpi.com

        BIS Companies:
        Strategic Training Group, LLC
        Web: www.strategictraining.org

        Surveillance Support Technologies, LTD
        Web: <http://www.spygearcenter.com/> www.spygearcenter.com

        Active Member:
        IAPI - Past President | PISPWV - VP Education
        Web: <http://www.iapi.net/> www.iapi.net Web: www.pispwv.org
        NALI, NCISS, NSPII, OIA, OATIA, SOFAIA

      • Me
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 20 11:48 AM
          Yes this technology is available. There are a number of software tools
          available to do this. This sounds to me to be a tool called flexispy. This
          tool, if deployed on the device will sen all of the telephone activities to
          a web site where the person monitoring can log in and review the phones
          activities.

          If you have more questions feel free to contact me directly at 805-310-1790

          Kevin Martin
          Mobile Phone Investigations

          Sent via DROID on Verizon Wireless

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 20 11:57 AM
            What type of cell phones do her and her daughter have?

            Google Cell Phone Spyware then look at the top four applications for doing
            exactly what you describe, all fairly cheap.

            Short answer...yes it can be done.
            Yes it can be detected if it is done, but it requires a lot of work.
            Yes it is totally illegal. Title 18 USC Sec 2511 covers both the
            interception of oral and electronic (text messages) communications.

            Brian K. Ingram, B.S., Owner
            Consulting Investigation Services
            www.cispi.net
            www.itraceemail.com
            www.tx-eforensics.com
            Forensic Data Recovery; Email Tracing/Internet and eBusiness Investigations;
            Catastrophic Event Investigations; Major Case Criminal Defense.
            "Setting the New Standards in Private Investigation"
            Tx. License: A-08429
            P.O. Box 2097
            Waxahachie, Texas 75168
            Voice:972-937-3938
            Fax: 469-548-9224
            Member: American College of Forensic Examiners
            Intellenet

            _____

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 20 12:05 PM
              PS It is illegal, getting someone to do something is another story.

              Only countermeasure is to have them do a security wipe on the phones and
              reload a clean operating system from rim OR have the phones replaced with
              new ones so the ESN is different.

              If you want to look for the spyware, a competent handheld examiner can do
              this ( like us) 400 per unit

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 21 10:36 AM
                Merry Christmas Everyone;

                I've been reading the post's and there has been several valid and good advise promoted ... but I would like to start at the beginning if I may ...

                1. What types of phones does the wife and daughter has ... I know the husband has a blackberry, according to the post ... but the other phones were not identified ... this goes a long way to determine precisely how we are to approch this situation ... as the Blackberry system and a non-blackberry system have two different communications protocols and they would have to be identified for proper access controls and authentication from one phone system to the Blackberry prior to the Blackberry accepting any communications ...

                2. Can you please describe to me what you mean by "TRACKING CARD" ... that to me is describing hardware, an object, something physical which is attached to the phone ...

                2a. If it is hardware, just detach it ... perform a power off and re-power it back up for the system to recognize the phone and it's elements and they the phone should resume normal communications without the "tracking" capability (because it was removed) ... however, this means someone had to crack open the phone, install the hardware and then put it back together ... there's not a lot of room inside the casing of a cell phone, so the person putting it back together better be very very good at it ... also look on the casing for scratches that you did not put on yourself from normal wear and tear ... most owners know when they dropped the phone or somehow scratched it ...

                3. If not hardware, then it must be software ... I'm a cell fone forensic examiner for Directive 63 out of Fredericksburg Virginia, so I have not seen the subject phones or phyical pieces of gear to review as evidence. However, if there is software attached to your cell phone, then all you need to do to prove this theory or disprove it, is down log the cell phone(s) logs and perform an audit on it. There you will find the history of the phone's activities going back as far as the last purge (if that was performed).

                4. Once you perform your audit examination, if you find a software program that was not delievered on the phone at purchase or that you did not put on yourself or were aware of it, then just delete that program ... then complete a power off of your system, and wait for a minute or so, then power it back on and it will be as it was prior to the contamination of the software ...

                I hope this helps. I'm sorry I can't provide further information at this time without actually seeing the phone or receiving specific questions. If there is anything else I can do please don't hesitate to drop me a line ...

                Tom
                - - - - - - -

                Thomas A. Baer
                Directive 63, Inc. (D.63)