was the stroke avoidable

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2 4:32 PM
      Amy -

      I want that iPod or iPad or whatever you are offering. What do we have,
      284 opinions left to go???

      For starters, how old is John? Age is usually important in initial
      determination of the type of stroke whether acute or evolving. However, it
      sounds like he was not taking good care of himself, especially knowing about the
      hardening of the arteries and not following up immediately on that one.

      Second, it doesn't matter what the primary physician thought as he did what
      was necessary and sent him to the E.R. right away. This is indicative of
      the fact that he was concerned otherwise he would have just scheduled him
      for various tests.

      A "diagnosis" is clinical in nature, but CT and/or MRI are done to exclude
      hemorrhage and confirm the presence and extent of stroke. Thrombolytic
      therapy may be useful acutely in certain patients. Depending on the cause of
      stroke, carotid endarterectomy, antiplatelet drugs, or warfarin may help
      reduce the risk of subsequent strokes. However, these are usually prescribed
      by the attending when no acute situation exists.

      Did they give him any meds at all or was he just released as he was stable?

      What tests were done and what tests are alleged to have not been done?

      What prior CT results did the radiologist have to be able to report
      "significant changes" to the ER doctors or was he psychic since there was no
      acute damage seen?

      Rather than what Jane recalls, what did the Dx papers actually say? Did
      the Dx papers suggest that he take any aspirin? Is there anything in the ER
      papers that remotely suggest a reaction to Valium or did they correctly Dx
      CVA/TIA? Did the Dx papers suggest a follow-up within 3 days?

      Hopefully the defense will win on this one if the Dx papers truly advise
      follow-up care with his own M.D. within 3 days. If John had followed up
      with his own doctor, he (the doctor) would hopefully have reviewed the
      hospital results/notes, etc. and have prescribed the proper medications, tests,
      etc. John did not have an acute situation at the time and therefore there
      was nothing for an ER to do but refer him back to his doctor. However,
      perhaps they might have considered a week's supply of a blood thinner.

      Is John a schizophrenic with the alter ego of Jake? If not, who the heck
      is Jake??? LOL

      thank a military veteran