Re: [infoguys-list] Re: Information Source

  • Bob Hrodey
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 13, 2010
      suesarkis@..., wrote the following at or about 10/13/2010 2:19 PM:
      > Don, Brad and all -
      >
      > Obviously the service provider demanding the on-site inspection provides
      > complete SSN's. This is a rule the credit bureau have set up and if the
      > service provider does not comply, they are shut off. The credit card
      > companies are complying with the demands of Congress behind relatively recent front
      > page headline type issues concerning same.
      >
      > Sue Sarkis

      Perhaps... Then again, I was told by Acxiom that I would have to pay
      for a site inspection (even though I'd been with them for several years
      and with the company they bought out - Flatrateinfo.com before that) and
      was further told that there was no way they would ever provide
      investigators with untruncated SSAN's. This had nothing to do with the
      site inspection. I've had them and it's no big deal. Some minimum wage
      slug that probably couldn't pass the minimal (in most cases)
      requirements to obtain a PI license, looks around, drools on the carpet
      and takes a photo or two - all while wearing sneakers, cut off jeans,
      and a t-shirt (I kid you not - that was my 1st experience with one of
      those clowns).

      They really don't care about investigators. And, funniest thing, I
      don't care for them. When I was up for renewal earlier this year they
      decreed that I was not a legitimate business entity since I was not
      incorporated. They gave me 30 days to become incorporated or they would
      suspend my service. I saved them that long wait and told them to cancel
      immediately.

      So, while what you say may be valid in most (if not many) cases, I tend
      to suspect that it (site inspections) also represents a way to somewhat
      gracefully rid themselves of a client market they really do not wish to
      deal with. I won't totally discount the possibility of additional
      revenue being generated by the site inspections. Judging from the guy
      who first came to our offices, I suspect they could have the job done by
      someone of his ilk for $25 - $35. The balance (in that case $65 - $75)
      winds up in the revenue column.

      --

      Enjoy,

      /Bob/
      Hrodey & Associates Established 1977
      NAPPS
      Woodstock, IL 60098-0366 NCISS, & P.A.W.L.I.
      Licensed in IL & WI (815) 337-4636 Voice
      337-4638 Fax
      email: inquiry@... <mailto:inquiry@...> or
      rth@... <mailto:rth@...>
      Illinois License 115-000783 Wisconsin 8045-063

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 13, 2010
        Bob -

        In my area they actually have licensed PI's make the inspection unless
        something has changed recently. Acxiom can lose business all they want as I
        never liked them. However, since they are the largest data farm on the
        planet, they don't need us. When Charles Morgan was CEO it wasn't bad.
        However, since John Meyer took over, we are bastard children and they could care
        less about us as they are making 1.5 BIL/yr without us. Then when they
        took over Choicepoint, I wanted to cry.

        I thought for sure that when the hackers Snipermail and Hackey Zak nailed
        their files years ago, they would get in some sort of trouble. Instead,
        the SSA, CIA and FBI sang their praises. Go figure !!!

        I get full SSN's from Merlin. Although it's been quite a while, I believe
        the site inspections were $60 back when they first started.

        Sue

        In a message dated 10/13/2010 1:42:01 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
        rth@... writes:

        _suesarkis@..._ (mailto:suesarkis@...) , wrote the following at or
        about 10/13/2010 2:19 PM:

        <mailto:_inquiry@..._ (mailto:inquiry@...) > or
        _rth@..._ (mailto:rth@...) <mailto:_rth@..._
        (mailto:rth@...) >
        Illinois License 115-000783 Wisconsin 8045-063

      • Catherine Olen
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 15, 2010
          Sue, I have to wonder.... you do make a great point.....what are these providers
          doing and what is their place in our industry coming to? What services are they
          providing us, in exchange for this? At the very least, they could send out a an
          individual who represents the company with some modicum of professionalism, and
          not some person who looks like a bum, as you pointed out.....I would not let
          this person into my office if they appeared like that and they had better have
          some valid credentials before they set foot in. Of course they are making a
          profit on this, and for what? To provide outdated, sometimesmore than not
           inaccurate information? I know times are tough... but do not bite the hand that
          feeds you, for goodness sake!

          Catherine L . Olen, LPI, State of FL
          Olen Professional Investigative Services, LLC
          Kissimmee, FL 34759
          FL A2700353/C2600852
          Office: 863-438-4743
          Mobile: 863-944-7862
          Fax: 775-218-9245
          http://www.oleninvestigations.com
          http://www.linkedin.com
          http://www.fali.com
          http://orangecountybar.org

          Member: F.A.L.I.
          Association: F.L.I.P - Female Legal and Investigative Professionals
          Association/Member: Orange County Bar Association #9661985

          "In God We Trust"
          This e-mail contains PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL information intended only for
          the use of it's recipients or agents/employees thereof. If you are not the
          intended recipient of this communication and you have received this in error,
          any dissemination or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. In the event
          you have received this e-mail in error, kindly notify sender by e-mail and

          "Serving all of your Investigative Needs"

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 15, 2010
            In a message dated 10/15/2010 12:03:25 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
            kateolen48@... writes:

            What services are they providing us, in exchange for this?
            An easy to use reference source to use as a guideline.

            At the very least, they could send out a an individual who represents the
            company with some modicum of professionalism, and not some person who
            looks like a bum
            Although I have no foundation for my answer, I would assume they hire
            licensees who are clients of theirs in the respective geographical areas.
            Finding someone who is willing to work for minimal fees just means you get what
            you pay for. If they paid higher, we'd have to pay more and then we'd
            bitch even more !!!

            (By the way, I wasn't the one who pointed out about their appearance)

            Of course they are making a profit on this, and for what? To provide
            outdated, sometimesmore than not inaccurate information?
            I will defend all of the providers on this one since they ALL provide the
            SAME information. What differentiates each of them is how they store the
            info on their own systems and how their "search" functions operate. No one
            ever in life hinted that the information provided is accurate. They can
            just provide what is given to them by the various agencies, jurisdictions and
            the like. If a case # is wrong, don't blame them, blame the clerk guilty
            of GIGO (garbage in, garbage out).

            I will add the following. I have learned through the years that the
            majority of you don't have a clue as to what you are dealing with, what the
            reports mean, etc. I've seen so many of you, for instance, report that
            someone uses various SSN's when, in fact, that person never used any other SSN
            but their own. If you are coming up with multiples, there's a million
            reasons. Did they ever cosign for a child or friend? Did they ever jointly buy
            something such as a boat or summer house with a friend? Did some minimum
            wage employee transpose the numbers? When you cosign for your children
            and/or friends, their SSN is forever linked to yours and vice versa via the way
            the BIG THREE input their files. When they, in turn, provide that info to
            others, no explanation is given as to what jewelry store or boat shop a
            transaction occurred at. They just get the bare identifying info.

            I'm not implying that bad people don't use multiple SSN's, names,
            addresses, etc. However, the majority of the ones seen are for non-nefarious
            reasons.

            I'm just grateful that they make our lives a little easier. It's just a
            shame that so many users don't truly understand what they receive.

            ________________________

            thank a military veteran

          • Catherine Olen
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 15, 2010
              Just my opinion and I am entitled to it, my dear. I use this info as a starting
              point and never depend on it as gospel. But they are getting more and more
              expensive. No need to get so edgy. That is not what this forum is for, after
              all. It is for everyone to post their own opinions. I have seen too much
              backbiting and catfighting and personal insulting to even bother anymore. This
              nonsense is getting ridiculous and very unprofessional. Nor for me. Some people
              just have too much damn time on their hands, I suppose. Back to my studies, and
              have a glorious day.
              Regards,