Re: [infoguys-list] infant's blood pressure

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 5, 2010
      Amy -

      I sure hope you are working for the defense on this one.

      Although it would have been nice to know how long Robbie was in the
      hospital, i.e., was he neonatal and still there or was this a newly discovered
      cardiovascular issue at 6 months of age. Regardless, you are talking about
      two separate mechanisms. Without reading the chart it is very hard to say
      what the doctor actually ordered. However, meds to be dispensed via IV at
      the rate of 30 ml/hr are usually drip unless the doctor orders bolus. I'm
      at a loss as to why the nursing staff did not realize the infusion pump would
      be required even without reading the instructions since there was no drip
      chamber. HOWEVER, since this a new device, failure to read same wreaks of
      total carelessness on the part of the staff.

      Nurses in the neonatal/pediatric ICU would not usually be privy to what the
      adult unit does or does not require. Even so, considering the difference
      between a baby's heart and an adults, common sense should have dictated.

      The 4 years between incidents tends to lend credibility to the fact that
      the directions/instructions have been adequate sans carelessness.

      I also fault the hospital and staff including the purchasing agent for not
      insisting that a company tech be on site to demonstrate the use of the
      equipment if they were unfamiliar with something so very important.

      100%

      4. Should properly trained pediatric ICU nurses should know how to use an
      infusion pump with this type of device? MOST DEFINITELY !!!! Howe
      ver, the key words here are "properly trained" and for that, no one can be
      blamed but the hospital.

      thank a military veteran