Re: [infoguys-list] tire case

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2010
      Amy -

      I'm going to give you my $20 worth. I will try to use some common sense.

      For starters, since it was a Blazer the tires were most likely Uniroyal
      AWP. 70,000 mile warranty in 2000.
      Since Chevy would only use nationally known brands on their Blazers, if
      there was any manufacturer's defect, it would have been known long before that
      and there would have been a national recall.

      Plaintiffs' expert will testify that his inspection of the tire revealed
      evidence of "liner pattern marks "liner pattern marks" which means the tire
      had to have been driven on while under inflated. This would tend to
      corroborate the defense expert's observation of a specific impact point in the
      tire sometime within 500 miles of the incident. That impact more than likely
      caused a slow leak.

      His observation of the irregular belts is nothing shattering since that
      would have to happen if the tread separated.

      It would appear that the driver was possibly exceeding the speed limit.
      Although you did not say what the posted limit was, I'm certain it was not
      80 mph, the upper limit you included.

      None of the occupants were seat belted.

      When a tire detreads, it does NOT lose air. The common sense thing to do
      is to slow down and pull off the road. Obviously the driver panicked and
      way overcompensated for something that needed no compensation.

      However, due to the speed he was traveling with young children in the
      vehicle, he probably didn't have a clue as to what was going on and might have
      thought he suffered a blow out and reacted accordingly.

      Does anyone know why the vehicle went ablaze?

      However, before I could agree with the TC that the occupants would not have
      died had they remained within the vehicle, I would need to know more about
      the extent of the flames, the position of the vehicle and how many
      observers were on hand to assist.

      Regardless, it is time for people to start holding themselves accountable
      for their own actions, stupid or otherwise. You don't push something as
      important as tires to the maximum limit and then some. Tires dry and crack
      from age and that, in and of itself, is a good reason to change all 4 tires
      routinely with no regard for mileage. They were transporting 3 young

      The legal cause of the injury would appear to be a combination of things:
      impact incident; and,
      driver panic.

      Absolutely NO manufacturer's defect in the tire !!!!!

      The actual cause of the deaths regardless of the specific individual
      injuries was the rolling of the vehicle which was 100% driver error.

      thank a military veteran