New Service Offering

  • Rus B. Robison
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 29, 2010
      As those in this group who know me will testify, I am extremely focused on
      report writing and the need for absolute correctness in grammar,
      punctuation, spelling and readability of written documents. I am also very
      cognizant of the need to perhaps upgrade the level of vocabulary to meet the
      needs of higher level readers of the documents presented.

      I, too, have noticed in writings to these groups that vocabulary and speech
      correctness is sometimes lacking.

      To that end, I am now offering proof-reading and report upgrade services to
      my constituents.

      I will attest at the outset that it is not my intention to overtake your
      clients, but rather assist you in maintaining your clients with
      extraordinary reports and other written documentation presented to them on
      your letterhead or formal report forms.

      I will also provide the service of formatting documents and provide you with
      form documents that you may use to enhance not only your report clarity and
      completeness, but it could also assist you in gathering more information to
      make your investigation more meaningful.

      If you have an interest in enhancing your public image through your
      documents, please send me an email with your preferred contact information
      and I will contact you to establish a custom program to meet your individual
      needs and requirements.

      Thank you in advance for your consideration.

      With kindest regards, I remain.

      Very truly yours,

      ROBISON COMPANIES, LLC

      PRIVATE INVESTIGATORS

      Rus B. Robison

      General Manager - Founder

    • TSCM/Special Ops Group Inc.
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 29, 2010
        Thanks Rus,
        I cant stand getting reports that look like ransome notes written in
        crayon.............
        funny how no one teaches anyone to really write in PC anymore,and subjects
        and claimants are suspects.<g>
        BR

        Mitch Davis
        TSCM/Special Operations Group Inc.
        20 Music Square West,Suite 208
        Nashville,TN. 37203
        Mail to:MitchD@...
        Website www.tscmusa.com
        (615) 251 0441
        fax (615) 523 0300
        Tools for investigators at: covertworx.com

        CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING!!! This electronic message contains information
        which may be privileged and/or confidential. This information is intended
        for the exclusive use of the individual(s), entity, or persons named or
        indicated above. Any unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, distribution,
        or use of any parts of the contents of this message/information is strictly
        prohibited.

        _____

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 30, 2010
          On 6/30/2010 12:36 AM, TSCM/Special Ops Group Inc. wrote:
          > Thanks Rus,
          > I cant stand getting reports that look like ransome notes written in
          > crayon.............
          > funny how no one teaches anyone to really write in PC anymore,and subjects
          > and claimants are suspects.<g>

          And ransom is spelled without an "e" unless we're speaking of author
          Arthur Ransome's rough drafts. :-D

          --
          Enjoy,

          /Bob/
          Hrodey & Associates Established 1977
          NAPPS
          Woodstock, IL 60098-0366 NCISS, & P.A.W.L.I.
          Licensed in IL & WI (815) 337-4636 Voice
          337-4638 Fax
          email: inquiry@... or rth@...
          Illinois License 115-000783 Wisconsin 8045-063

        • Rus B. Robison
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 30, 2010
            Thanks, Mitch.

            Anything we can do to upgrade the overall image of the profession benefits
            us all individually.

            With kindest regards, I remain...

            Very truly yours,

            ROBISON COMPANIES, LLC

            PRIVATE INVESTIGATORS

            Rus B. Robison

            General Manager

            PO Box 720560

            Oklahoma City, OK 73172-0560

            (405) 721-2295

            Oklahoma's FIRST State Licensed Private Investigation Agency

            01:35:00

          • Rus B. Robison
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 30, 2010
              Another thing I notice frequently is that a writer will jump all over the
              calendar when writing their report.

              "Today I went to so-and-so and did such-and-such because last week I did
              something else that has to do with something I will do tomorrow because of
              something I found two weeks ago."

              Not many people without an abacus can keep track of that style of reporting.

              If I never make a dime from this offering to proofread, it will be fine with
              me.

              I only hope this discussion will encourage everyone to stop for a moment and
              reflect on their reports.

              Re-read your report.

              Give it to your wife, husband, children or others who can be trusted and ask
              them questions about facts in the report to determine how clearly they
              understand the writing. If they do not "get it" there will be a good chance
              your client will not totally understand what you are saying.

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 30, 2010
                Rus -

                Along with lacking in continuity as in "jumping all over the place", one
                of the many issues that some people show such little self-respect about is
                when they routinely misspell. It would appear that they do not realize how
                difficult it makes reading the report, statement, etc. Using "to" where
                "too" should be, for instance, changes the entire meaning of a sentence
                which, in turn, means it usually has to be re-read. This is a terrible waste of
                time and quite annoying.

                Some of you might enjoy a link I will insert. It is an online dictionary
                search site that when you enter a word to lookup, it shows dozens of
                dictionaries for you to choose from to obtain the meaning of the word. At the
                same time, if you entered an incorrect word, it shows a list of words one
                might have actually meant. If there is a word where you just want to know how
                to pronounce it correctly, that is an available option when you launch the
                definition link.

                Enjoy !! _http://www.onelook.com/index.html_
                (http://www.onelook.com/index.html)

                ________________________

                thank a military veteran

                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 30, 2010
                  Hi Sue,

                  You are right on the money. I will bookmark the link you sent as well.

                  We could spend several days going over all the pros and cons in writing
                  styles and the common and not-so-common mistakes that people make.

                  I have a pet peeve that I expect many people would not realize, but I hate
                  contractions.

                  Words like can't, don't, shouldn't, usedtocould or shudda just drive me
                  crazy. (I threw the usedtocould and shudda in just to see who is truly
                  paying attention).

                  To me, it shows laziness. Two more key strokes and your report is
                  automatically 10% better.

                  We have a fellow in Oklahoma who wears a late 1800's cowboy outfit with a
                  "ten gallon hat" and his handlebar mustache and he performs what he calls
                  the "Okie Education".

                  Here is just a small sample to his "Vocabulary Lesson".

                  Jeet?

                  Nope.

                  Yount to?

                  Yep.

                  Whur?

                  Dono.

                  Boy, if you do not stay out of the mud you are gonna rurn them drawers.

                  Define faarrm.

                  1. a place where vegetables are grown; or

                  2. something that makes a large bang noise when you pull
                  the trigger.

                  I sometimes receive reports that are about that extreme.

                  With kindest regards, I remain...

                  Very truly yours,

                  ROBISON COMPANIES, LLC

                  PRIVATE INVESTIGATORS

                  Rus B. Robison

                  General Manager

                  PO Box 720560

                  Oklahoma City, OK 73172-0560

                  (405) 721-2295

                  Oklahoma's FIRST State Licensed Private Investigation Agency

                  07:24:00

                • CRAIG-MSN
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 30, 2010
                    writing reports has a simply rule. KISS. For some it is Keep It Short and Simple. For others it means Keep It Simple Stupid.

                    Simply recite the facts as they occur. The more surplusage you add the more confusion you get later.

                    Craig-
                    LMC
                    Davenport, IA.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 30, 2010
                      Rus B. Robison, wrote the following at or about 6/30/2010 10:14 AM:
                      > You are right on the money. I will bookmark the link you sent as well.

                      I agree. Sue has provided us with an excellent resource.
                      Unfortunately, I suspect that many who could benefit from it will ignore it.

                      > I have a pet peeve that I expect many people would not realize, but I hate
                      > contractions.
                      >

                      > Words like can't, don't, shouldn't, usedtocould or shudda just drive me
                      > crazy. (I threw the usedtocould and shudda in just to see who is truly
                      > paying attention).

                      While I definitely agree with most everything you've posted on on this
                      subject, Rus, I disagree - at least in part - with your position on the
                      use of contractions.

                      They are here to stay and are a proper use of the language - at least
                      the English teachers I had so informed the masses. I DO agree with your
                      point on those "made up" contractions like "usedtocould," etc.

                      I wonder if any of us, other than you, I and a select few, have given
                      much thought to just how much business and NEW business we conduct via
                      e-mail. Stop and think about it for a minute and then consider that old
                      saying, "You only get one chance to make a first impression."

                      What does your e-mail, riddled with misspellings, typos, grammatical
                      errors and other nonsense say about you?

                      Far too many people treat e-mails the same way that others treat
                      texting. E-mail is a wonderfully efficient business tool, but it
                      doesn't mean that the "rules" get thrown out the window.

                      Speaking of pet peeves, what does a public response on one of these
                      lists tell you about the author when he's responding to a posting that
                      clearly states "Reply off-list by e-mail with...?"

                      Speaking only for myself, it tells me that the author is incapable of
                      reading, comprehending the most basic of instructions. Is this the
                      person that I wish to retain to conduct a skilled interview of a
                      witness? Perform a potentially complex surveillance? Pick up a piece
                      of litter from the sidewalk without injuring himself?

                      You be the judge.

                      --

                      Enjoy,

                      /Bob/
                      Hrodey & Associates Established 1977
                      NAPPS
                      Woodstock, IL 60098-0366 NCISS, & P.A.W.L.I.
                      Licensed in IL & WI (815) 337-4636 Voice
                      337-4638 Fax
                      email: inquiry@... <mailto:inquiry@...> or
                      rth@... <mailto:rth@...>
                      Illinois License 115-000783 Wisconsin 8045-063

                    • Patti Bellion
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 30, 2010
                        Thank you, Mr. Robison. I am keeping your info in my "resources" folder!
                        P.B.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 30, 2010
                          Hi Bob,

                          We all have our own "style" as you mentioned and you are correct about
                          contractions being in the dictionary.

                          So are many of the words you hear in crap music (rap for short). I prefer to
                          leave those words out of my reports also unless they are part of a direct
                          quote.

                          You are dead on about the first impression logic and email introductions.
                          When I see someone introducing their company as being very profesional, a
                          chill runs up my spine.

                          OK, those of you who do not see the problem, read it again.

                          One of my lifelong idols was Actor Tony Randall who died in 2004.

                          His use of the English language and his diction were excellent. He and I
                          attended the same high school (not at the same time) so he was a great
                          example of an "Okie doin' it right." He spoke every syllable of every word.

                          How many people in the group know that the word "every" is actually three
                          syllables? Raise your hand.

                          Much like yourself, when I specify "contact me by private email" I consider
                          that a pop quiz.

                          If the respondents cannot (see, I did not say "can't") understand that
                          simple instruction, how could I, in good faith and conscience, send them on
                          a complex assignment?

                          Well, I am fixin' to get busy (fixin' means something that will happen in
                          about 15 minutes or less) so I will "speak with you good folk" later.