Political - ignore if not interested

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 12, 2010
      (However, I ask, "What the hell is wrong with the voters?".)

      June 11, 2010

      A Shrink Asks: What's Wrong with Obama?
      By Robin of Berkeley

      So what is the matter with Obama? Conservatives have been asking this
      question for some time. I've written a number of articles trying to solve the
      mystery.

      Even some liberals are starting to wonder. James Carville railed about
      Obama's blasé attitude after the catastrophic oil spill. The New York Times'
      Maureen Dowd revamped Obama's "Yes We Can" motto into "Will We Ever?"

      The liberal women of the TV show "The View" have expressed sympathy for
      Michelle Obama's living with a man so out of touch. Peggy Noonan, hardly a
      vehement Obama foe, recently pronounced him disconnected.

      Obama's odd mannerisms intrigue a psychotherapist like me. He also presents
      a serious diagnostic challenge.

      For one, Obama's teleprompter and the men behind the Blackberry keep him
      well-scripted. We know so little about the facts of his life.

      But it's more than just a lack of information. Obama himself is a strange
      bird. He doesn't fit easily into any diagnostic category.

      Many people attribute Obama's oddness to his narcissism. True, Obama has a
      gargantuan ego, and he is notoriously thin-skinned.

      Yet a personality disorder like narcissism does not explain Obama's
      strangeness: his giggling while being asked about the economy; his continuing a
      shout-out rather than announcing the Ft. Hood shootings; or his vacations,
      golfing, partying and fundraising during the calamitous oil spill.

      Take also Obama's declaring on the "Today Show" that he wants to know whose
      ass to kick. Consummate narcissists would never stoop to this vulgar
      display of adolescent machismo.

      Obama is flat when passion is needed; he's aggressive when savvy is
      required. What's most worrisome is that Obama doesn't even realize that his
      behavior is inappropriate.

      So if it's not just simple narcissism, what is wrong with Obama? Since I've
      never evaluated him, I can't say for sure. But I can hazard some educated
      guesses.

      If I saw a client as disconnected as him, the first thing I would wonder:
      Is something wrong with his brain? And I'd consider the following
      theoretical diagnostic possibilities.

      --Physical problems: There are a multitude of physiological conditions that
      can cause people to act strangely. For instance: head injuries, endocrine
      disturbances, epilepsy, and toxic chemical exposure.

      It makes me wonder: Did Obama ever have a head injury? His stepfather in
      Indonesia was purportedly an alcoholic abuser. Was Obama subject to any
      physical abuse?

      -- Drugs and alcohol: Damage to the brain from drugs and alcohol can also
      cause significant cognitive impairments. Obama once said that there were 57
      states -- and didn't correct himself. Memory problems can be caused by both
      illicit and prescription drug use.

      Obama admits to a history of drug use in his youth. Did his usage cause
      some damage? Does Obama still use?

      --Asperger's Syndrome: Also known as high-functioning autism, Asperger's
      causes deficits in social skills. A person with Asperger's can't read social
      cues. Consequently, he can be insensitive and hurtful without even knowing
      it.

      Could Obama have Asperger's? He might have some mild traits, but certainly
      not the full-blown disorder. In contrast to Obama, those with Asperger's
      get fixated on some behavior, like programming computers. Obama lacks this
      kind of passion and zeal.

      --Mental Illness: Obama's family tree is replete with the unbalanced. His
      maternal great-grandmother committed suicide. His grandfather, Stanley
      Dunham, was particularly unhinged: He was expelled from high school for punching
      his principal; named his daughter Stanley because he wanted a boy; and
      exposed young Barry to not just drunken trash talk, but unrestricted visits
      with alleged pedophile Frank Marshall Davis (who might or might not be
      Obama's biological father). Barack Sr. was an abusive, alcoholic bigamist.

      Since mental illness runs in the family, does Obama have any signs? Yes and
      no. No, he is not a schizophrenic babbling about Martians. But there are
      red flags for some other conditions.

      While Obama doesn't appear to hallucinate, he seems to have delusions. His
      believing he has a Messiah-like special gift smacks of grandiose delusions.
      His externalizing all blame to conservatives, George W. Bush, or the
      "racist" bogeyman hints at persecutory delusions.

      Along with a delusional disorder, Obama may fit for a mild psychotic
      disorder called schizotypal disorder. It may explain some of Obama's oddness.

      People with schizotypal disorder hold bizarre beliefs, are suspicious and
      paranoid, and have inappropriate and constricted affect. They have few close
      friends and are socially awkward. A schizotypal is someone like your
      strange cousin Becky who is addicted to astrology, believes she is psychic, and
      is the oddball at social gatherings.

      Schizotypal Disorder does ring some bells vis-à-vis Obama. One way the
      diagnosis doesn't fit, however, is that schizotypals are generally harmless,
      odd ducks. Not so with Obama.

      --Trauma: My gut tells me that Obama was seriously traumatized in
      childhood. His mother disregarded his basic needs, dragged him all over the place,
      and ultimately abandoned him.

      But I think there may be something even more insidious in his family
      background. While I can't prove it, the degree of Obama's disconnect reminds me
      of my sexually abused clients.

      With serious sexual abuse, the brain chemistry may change. The child
      dissociates -- that is, disconnects from his being -- in order to cope. Many
      adult survivors still dissociate, from occasional trances to the most extreme
      cases of multiple personality disorder.

      Apparently, young Barry was left in the care of Communist Frank Marshall
      Davis, who admitted to molesting a 13-year-old girl. As a teenager, Obama
      wrote a disturbing poem, "Pop," that evoked images of sexual abuse -- for
      instance, describing dual amber stains on both his and "Pop's" shorts.

      Would trauma explain Obama's disconnect? In many ways, yes. A damaged and
      unattached child may develop a "false self." To compensate for the enormous
      deficits in identity and attachment, the child invents his own personality.
      For Obama, it may have been as a special, gifted person.

      Let's return now to my original question: What is wrong with Obama? My
      guess is a great deal. The answer is complex and likely includes some
      combination of the above.

      Along with the brain issues are personality disorders: narcissism,
      paranoia, passive-aggressiveness. There's even the possibility of the most
      destructive character defect of all, an antisocial personality. Untreated abuse
      can foster antisocial traits, especially among boys.

      If my assessment is accurate, what does this mean?

      It means that liberals need to wake up and spit out the Kool-Aid...and that
      conservatives should put aside differences, band together, and elect as
      many Republicans as possible.

      Because Obama will not change. He will not learn from his mistakes. He will
      not grow and mature from on-the-job experience. In fact, over time, Obama
      will likely become a more ferocious version of who he is today.

      Why? Because this is a damaged person. Obama's fate was sealed years ago
      growing up in his strange and poisonous family. Later on, his empty vessel
      was filled with the hateful bile of men like Rev. Wright and Bill Ayers.

      Obama will not evolve; he will not rise to the occasion; he will not become
      the man he was meant to be. This is for one reason and one reason alone:

      He is not capable of it.

      A frequent AT contributor, Robin is a psychotherapist in Berkeley and a
      recovering liberal. You can e-mail Robin at _robinofberkeley@..._
      (mailto:robinofberkeley@...) . She regrets that she may not be able to
      acknowledge your e-mail.

    • mconner
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 12, 2010
        I read some years ago that obama was schizophrenic and was treated for it when he was a teenager.  I think he even saw a psychiatrist when he was in high school and his grandmother bilked money from the Ford Foundation, in order for him to receive psychiatric care.  Now whether this is true or not I dont know but I bet it is.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 13, 2010
          Interesting read. If even a portion of it is accurate it lends alot to my thoughts on Obama. I know being preisdent isn't an easy job, and he has alot of people pulling his strings. I guess the question is how many strings does he have that aren't being pulled yet.

          Craig Smith-
          116 E. 6th Street
          Davenport, IA. 52803
          www.lawmanuals.com
          www.iowaparalegalservices.com

          To: infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com
          From: suesarkis@...
          Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 19:01:18 -0400

          (However, I ask, "What the hell is wrong with the voters?".)

          June 11, 2010

          A Shrink Asks: What's Wrong with Obama?
          By Robin of Berkeley

          So what is the matter with Obama? Conservatives have been asking this
          question for some time. I've written a number of articles trying to solve the
          mystery.

          Even some liberals are starting to wonder. James Carville railed about
          Obama's blas� attitude after the catastrophic oil spill. The New York Times'
[...]

          Schizotypal Disorder does ring some bells vis-�-vis Obama. One way the