Donations Help Fund the Work of NCISS

  • RodBlytheInv@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2010
      Donations Help Fund the Work of NCISS

      It seems like Congress is working overtime to keep NCISS on our toes.
      Within recent weeks NCISS has had to fight efforts to restrict the use of
      surveillance, ban the use of credit checks, and outlaw spoofing. So far, these
      efforts have been effective. Senator Feinstein's amendment to ban the use of
      credit checks for employment purposes was stopped in the Senate during
      consideration of financial reform legislation. Senator Specter (D-PA) has
      agreed to clarify that the "Surreptitious Video Surveillance" legislation, S
      3214, would only apply in private areas of a home. And Senate sponsors of
      spoofing legislation are insisting that the bill only restrict "harmful" uses
      of spoofing.

      All of these issue came to a head during the past two months, and our
      Washington advocate has been actively engaged in the effort. Our successes are
      part of the NCISS team approach that involves a coordinated effort among
      the NCISS leadership, Legislative Committee and members at large. Everyone
      came through when our advocate Larry Sabbath called for NCISS members to
      contact their Senators. And NCISS members have used important personal
      relationships to help make the fight. All of these issues came to a head during the
      past two months, and our Washington advocate has been actively engaged in
      the effort. Our successes are part of the NCISS team approach that involves
      a coordinated effort among the NCISS leadership, Legislative Committee and
      members at large. Everyone came through when our advocate Larry Sabbath
      called for NCISS members to contact their Senators. And NCISS members have
      used important personal relationships to help make the fight.

      But the battle goes on. Each of these issues may arise again, so we can't
      rest on our laurels. In fact, just as the Senate was abandoning efforts
      to limit credit checks as part of the Financial Reform, the House Financial
      Institutions and Consumer Credit Subcommittee held a hearing on the same
      issue, and the Chairman said he supports HR 3149, which would also ban the
      use of credit checks.

      We need your support to keep up these efforts. It's unfortunate, but we
      do need to have the resources to carry out the battles in Washington. Ple
      ase support these efforts with a contribution to the NCISS Legislative Fund.
      It is critical.

      You may send your check in any amount to:

      NCISS Legislative Fund
      7501 Sparrows Point Blvd.
      Baltimore, MD 21219

      * Donations will be acknowledged in the NCISS Report, in PI Magazine, and
      on the NCISS website.

      Eddy McClain
      Past President
      Legislative Fund Raising Chair