[infoguys-list] advice about kak worm,use security settings to prevent infection

  • Tina
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 31, 2000
      Just a note for those of you using outlook express, on your tool bar if you go to your tools....then options....then security then security zones settings you can set your security settings to medium or high. these settings will prevent this worm from automatically infecting your machine. I have mine set at medium and if I get an e-mail with the kak worm, I get a prompt window asking if I want to allow the active-x to run, of course I click no and delete the message. Maybe if everyone checks their security settings we can get rid of this thing once and for all. I received three e-mails today that had it attached. If my security setting had been on low, I would have been infected automatically.

      Good luck

    • Lagit Fakir
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1 3:40 AM
        OK, I had not gotten this until just the last day or so, I have gone to the
        site that was mentioned. Seems that this gets into the system as a
        signature to the letter, so it comes out (released) when the item is read, I
        deleted the file - which I checked for after reading the mail. I have both
        fix-it utilities' virus scan and McAfee on my system, they both say I
        haven't been infected so I must have gotten rid of it. McAfee does have a
        print out on how to manually remove it from the start up process. What it
        seems to do is shut the computer down at 5PM on the first of the month....it
        is noted that there is no other known things that it does. I have had my
        security set at medium, and the only way it could have gotten in is via
        hotmail....which is strange as it is supposed to use a Outlook express
        (only) back door..(hotmail is supposed to have its' own virus protection in
        place)..this "backdoor" can be fixed by obtaining a (update) patch from
        them...then you are safe.....but I am still concerned by the hotmail
        scenario.
        Dr. R.M.Beyer
        Independent Historical Research
        >From: "Tina" <neahq@...>
        >To: "Infoguys" <infoguys-list@egroups.com>
        >Subject: [infoguys-list] advice about kak worm,use security settings to
        >prevent infection
        >Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 22:47:20 -0500
        >
        >Just a note for those of you using outlook express, on your tool bar if you
        >go to your tools....then options....then security then security zones
        >settings you can set your security settings to medium or high. these
        >settings will prevent this worm from automatically infecting your machine.
        >I have mine set at medium and if I get an e-mail with the kak worm, I get a
        >prompt window asking if I want to allow the active-x to run, of course I
        >click no and delete the message. Maybe if everyone checks their security
        >settings we can get rid of this thing once and for all. I received three
        >e-mails today that had it attached. If my security setting had been on low,
        >I would have been infected automatically.
        >
        >Good luck
        >
        >Best Regards,
        >Tina Peeler
        >http://www.neiscorp.com
        >PI Products- http://www.neiscorp.com/products.html
        >PI only prices- http://www.neiscorp.com/lpi.html
        >PI Links Page- http://www.neiscorp.com/PI-links-page.htm

        >Save up to 75% on name-brand outdoor-sports equipment, kitchen
        >products,electronics & more with FREE Shipping and a 30 Day
        >Money-Back Guarantee at screaminghotdeals.com
        >
        >eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/infoguys-list/

      • kent conwell
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1 5:27 AM
          tina,
          for computer illiterates like me, what does active-x do?  i've seen it a few times, but always say no.  no is my standard response to ninety percent of the questions the computer asks me.
          kent