Re: [infoguys-list] jet ski case - Important Question

  • oracleintl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2010
      Hi Amy,

      Important question -- what was the point of impact on the vessel. Towards
      the bow, or towards the stern? If the stern, how close to the stern.

      Bill E. Branscum, Investigator
      Oracle International
      Naples, FL 34101
      (239) 304-1639 V
      (239) 304-1640 F
      (239) 641-6782 C

      In a message dated 2/23/2010 7:16:15 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      Jurydoctor@... writes:

      the 15 yo driver had broken bones and the 14 yo passenger was killed

      _________________________

      In the old days, the term, "Off Throttle Steering" was an oxymoron
      applicable to jet skis which referred to the fact that the damn things
      will not

      steer off throttle, just as you describe. I have been out of the marine
      law
      enforcement biz for many years, but many people chose to modify them with
      aftermarket steering kits. If I recall correctly, one such kit was
      manufactured by Cobra.

      Without the case specifics, I have no idea whether I would tend to believe
      the victim, or the science, but the difference between an OTS accident,
      and one where the person froze and failed to let off the throttle should
      be
      very easy to differentiate between.

      I say that because a PWC does not just hum merrily along at 50MPH until
      gravity brings it to a stop as your post suggests. Once you cut power,
      they
      decelerate very, VERY quickly like any other boat as they traverse from
      being a planing hull to a displacement hull.

      Typically, I look at "experts" with a jaundiced eye, as I generally find
      that there is always someone out there willing to say whatever they are
      paid
      to say, but the difference between an off throttle impact (with RAPID
      deceleration) and a case where someone froze should be night and day if
      there
      was any time to decelerate at all.

      Try it. Rent a jet ski, run it up to wide open and pull the dead man
      switch. That thing will decelerate like it had brakes, and come to a dead
      stop

      within an easy swim of where you cut the power - my guess would be no more
      than 250-300 feet. That sounds like a long way but remember that the
      deceleration isn't linear - the speed cuts in half almost instantly, and
      half
      again in short order.

      One thing that always strikes me when I am out on the water - most of the
      "fun" stuff you see these kids doing is illegal.

      I hope the young lady wasn't hurt as badly as I fear that she was.