Driver in the rear - presumption of guilt

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2010
      An off topic story. Back in September, 1967 I was staying at the Johnina
      Hotel in Miami Beach. I was on my way to Flagler Race Track in my rented
      Lamborghini stopped at a red light. When the light turned green, the hot
      yellow Vette in front of me wound up in my lap as the driver from Missouri
      had shifted into reverse instead of drive; not an easy feat at that. Anyway,
      police are there; an ambulance is there for me; off to the hospital I go
      as the driver kept exclaiming my innocence; and, how it was all his fault.

      Fast forward to the E.R. and as soon as the x-rays were finished as I had a
      couple broken ribs from the steering wheel, on go the handcuffs and I'm
      cuffed to the bed rail. However, within minutes they are removed and I'm
      informed my bail was made. Now I was really confused. This was WAY pre-cell
      phone and I hadn't called anyone. I didn't give any contact information
      to anyone as they barely got my name and vitals.

      After my ribs were wrapped and I was given some pain meds, I was free to
      go. I put my clothes back on, grabbed my purse and slowly departed. As I
      was leaving the police officer told me there was a gentleman waiting for me
      and he walked me over to him. It was a rep from Hertz who had rented the
      Vette to the guy from Missouri who hit me. He was nice enough to drive me
      first to the local police station and then back to the Johnina. I wasn't in
      the mood to go to the track. At the police station I discussed my dilemma
      with the officer because I was leaving the next day for Barbados and
      wouldn't be back for 6 months.

      He explained how I would warrant but if I kept my nose clean for 3 years I
      would have nothing to worry about as the warrant would disappear since it
      was only a misdemeanor. That was alright by me. However, upon my return
      to Miami Beach I came to learn that Hertz had actually had an attorney
      appear for me and the case went away.

      Handcuffed because the driver in the rear is always presumed guilty
      regardless of common sense when an honest driver is fessing up !!!!!!! UGH !