Re: Subpoenas - answered

  • RickyG
    Message 1 of 41 , Jan 28, 2010

      > Rick -
      >
      > I'm inserting redacted areas of the 3 main sections involving forfeitures.
      > As you can see, the surety gets noticed and a copy goes to the agent. If
      > after 180 days, or thereabouts, the forfeiture still stands, summary
      > judgment is automatically brought against the surety and the agent. However, as
      > you can see in Sec. 1308 the Surety is cut off statewide. That means that
      > each and every agent that writes for that surety is cut off and cannot
      > make a living.

      I think our statutes were changed in 2007 to mimic what you just described here.

      But this is not what I was pointing out..

      What I was pointing out was that here in Missouri, the Bail Agent that is writing under the Insurance Company submits the Insurance Company's financial to the clerk of court where they want to write bonds in order to get approved to write bail in that county.

      Also, I did not mention this earlier. I am not boasting or anything, and don't want to appear to be.. But the Clerk told me that I was the first person to ever get these financials on a Bail Bondsman, and she had turned down multiple requests for them before. But because I challenged her under our Open Documents Laws and asked her to make a determination as to whether or not this information would be classified as a matter of public record, she had to give me the information I was requesting once she checked on the issues I asked her to check on. The Clerk was a very nice lady, and she was doing her job flawlessly (in my opinion), because if you ask for these records, and you can't quote the reasons that you should be entitled to them, then the Clerk won't feel obligated to give them to you.

      Anyway, getting these records today was a pretty big deal for me... It made my job a lot easier, and got me over one major hurdle in what is about to become a bad situation for someone here in Missouri very shortly....

      Rick.

      Direct Office Number: (573) 234-6876
      Office Phone: (573) 234-4647 Ext. 110
      Car Phone: (573) 529-0808