Political - hit the delete key if not interested

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 2010
      Gee, I feel safer already !!! ss

      Tariq Ramadan permitted to enter the U.S.

      by Daniel Pipes
      January 20, 2010
      _http://www.danielpipes.org/blog/2004/12/tariq-ramadan-gives-up-then-tries-a
      gain_
      (http://www.danielpipes.org/blog/2004/12/tariq-ramadan-gives-up-then-tries-again)
      The Swiss Islamist Tariq Ramadan was about to take up a position at the
      University of Notre Dame in Indiana in 2004 when the U.S. government
      prevented him from entering the country on the grounds that he had funded two
      Hamas-related groups. For five years, his exclusion has been _debated_
      (http://www.danielpipes.org/2043/why-revoke-tariq-ramadans-us-visa) and tried.
      Finally, it was reversed today. The _Associated Press_
      (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/20/AR2010012002692.html) explains:
      Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton has signed orders enabling the
      re-entry of professors Tariq Ramadan of Oxford University in England and
      Adam Habib of the University of Johannesburg in South Africa once they obtain
      required admittance documents, department spokesman Darby Holladay said.
      Clinton "has chosen to exercise her exemption authority for the benefit of
      Tariq Ramadan and Adam Habib," Holladay said. "We'll let that action speak
      for itself." In a prepared statement, Holladay noted the change in U.S.
      posture since both professors, who are frequently invited to the United
      States to lecture, were denied admittance after making statements counter to
      U.S. foreign policy. Both the president and the secretary of state have made
      it clear that the U.S. government is pursuing a new relationship with
      Muslim communities based on mutual interest and mutual respect.".
      Comments:
      (1) I always expected this outcome, that Ramadan would be allowed in,
      because so many forces were aligned in his favor. That the exclusion lasted
      over five years was impressive.
      (2) Note that this change was ordered from the very top, specifically
      invoking Obama.
      (3) Note also the sleaziness of the State Department spokesman, ascribing
      Ramadan's exclusion to his "making statements counter to U.S. foreign
      policy." No, the reason was explicitly his having _provided funds to a
      terrorist-related organization_
      (http://www.danielpipes.org/blog/2004/12/tariq-ramadan-gives-up-then-tries-again#Hamas) . Why the gratuitous lie, State
      Department?
      (4) The Obama administration puts this case into the context of "pursuing
      a new relationship with Muslim communities based on mutual interest and
      mutual respect." But it's always been a terrorism case, with no connection to
      issues of Islam. What amateurs.
      (5) Note the term "mutual respect," the hackneyed phrase repeatedly
      applied to the U.S. government and Muslims – so much so that I have _devoted a
      whole blog_
      (http://www.danielpipes.org/blog/2009/01/obama-respect-and-muslims) to Obama's use of these words.
      (6) So, fellow Americans, how many of you feel safer with the prospect of
      Tariq Ramadan present in person to talk to our Islamists?