Retired LE Officer National Carry

  • assoresearch@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 7, 2010
      I Goggled this and cannot find where any law has passed allowing retired
      or current LE officers to carry in any state throughout the US. It was my
      impression that this law was passed. Does anyone know the status, and what
      is involved for an officer to obtain a permit like this? Is a permit
      required, or just proof of retired, or active status.

      I am a bit confused.

      Thank you
      Gil

      Gil Whitlock

    • Chris
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 7, 2010
        Its known as HR-218. It passed. Retired LEO can carry nationwide. My agency requires that I requalify quarterly on my piece. If I'm wearing shoes I have a gun on me..... =)

        Cheers,
        Chris Loomis, P.I.
        CA P.I. #24384
        Firearms Qual. #286009
        Chris Loomis Consultations
        -A Private Investigations Firm-
        P.O. Box 660351
        Arcadia, CA 91006 USA  (GMT -8)
        (626) 230-3137 Office
        (626) 407-4495 Fax
        www.clcpi.com
        CLConsultations@...
        Association Membership(s): CALI  SCFIA   PICA   FAPI   CDIA  IASIU  IAATI   IACSP
        Moderator: LA_County_CA_PI   and   USAPI

        DISCLAIMER & CONFIDENTIALITY WARNING! This electronic message contains information which may be privileged and/or confidential. This information is intended for the exclusive use of the individual(s), entity, or persons named or indicated above. Any unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of any parts of the contents of this message/information is strictly prohibited by federal law. Any attempts to intercept this message are in violation of Title 18 U.S.C. 2511(1) of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act (ECPA). All violators are subject to fines, imprisonment, civil damages, or both.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 7, 2010
          You mean you wait until you put your shoes on?
          Time's wastin'. Shower (gun in arms reach)
          Drying off with towel (larger towel now than then cause I got fat) gun on
          counter.
          skivvies-gun
          during dressing process-guns available in varying locations
          Just made some biscuits and ham gravy, gun in back pocket, one in the
          utensil drawer, after all it IS a utensil.
          Getting dressed to go to court, guns find their way in various compartments
          in my truck, both hand guns and long guns.
          Once was asked why I carry my long gun with me in the truck and my answer
          was...
          " you can never tell when a SWAT emergency that will require me to be
          activated will happen right in front of you, you have to be prepared for all
          situations and the odd wild hog that wanders into your sights."
          Shish........I live in Texas, if I could afford to mount twin 50s on my
          truck, I would..now that would be prepared.

          We used to joke about the spontaneous communist invasion being the reason we
          were prepared....now that that has already happened and our country is under
          the iron fist of socio-communistic-oligarchic rule, we have to be prepared
          for those wild hogs that are a menace down here.
          :)

          BKI

          _____

          CLConsultations@ <mailto:CLConsultations%40aol.com> aol.com

          --- On Thu, 1/7/10, assoresearch@ <mailto:assoresearch%40aol.com> aol.com

          From: assoresearch@ <mailto:assoresearch%40aol.com> aol.com <assoresearch@
          <mailto:assoresearch%40aol.com> aol.com>
          To: tracer@yahoogroups. <mailto:tracer%40yahoogroups.com> com
          Cc: infoguys-list@ <mailto:infoguys-list%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com,
          spiesonline@ <mailto:spiesonline%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com
          Date: Thursday, January 7, 2010, 8:49 AM

          I Goggled this and cannot find where any law has passed allowing retired
          or current LE officers to carry in any state throughout the US. It was my
          impression that this law was passed. Does anyone know the status, and what

          is involved for an officer to obtain a permit like this? Is a permit
          required, or just proof of retired, or active status.

          I am a bit confused.

          Thank you
          Gil

          Gil Whitlock
          _www.associated-research.com_ (http://www.associat
          <http://www.associated-research.com/> ed-research.com/)

          <mailto:infoguys-list-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
          unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com">infoguys-list-
          <mailto:infoguys-list-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.com>
          unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com</a><br/>

        • Lucia Frigerio
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 7, 2010
            I believe the law that you are looking for is  H.R. 218

             Dondi(Dee)Lucia Frigerio-Holmes
            The Looking Glass, LLC
            Phoenix, AZ 85060
            AZ License #1597140
            phone: 602/539-3480 or 623/252-2223 msg
            fax: 602/680-7850
            www.thelookingglassinvestigations.com

            ________________________________

            _www.associated- research. com_ (http://www.associat ed-research. com/)

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 7, 2010
              Gil -

              Here's the law in its entirety as signed by President Bush.

              H.R.218: The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004
              (Enrolled as Agreed to or Passed by Both House and Senate)
              One Hundred Eighth Congress of the United States of America
              AT THE SECOND SESSION
              Begun and held at the City of Washington on Tuesday, the twentieth day of
              January, two thousand and four
              An Act
              To amend title 18, United States Code, to exempt qualified current and
              former law enforcement officers from State laws prohibiting the carrying of
              concealed handguns.
              Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United
              States of America in Congress assembled,
              SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
              This Act may be cited as the `Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of
              2004'.
              SEC. 2. EXEMPTION OF QUALIFIED LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS FROM STATE LAWS
              PROHIBITING THE CARRYING OF CONCEALED FIREARMS.
              (a) In General- Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by
              inserting after section 926A the following:
              `Sec. 926B. Carrying of concealed firearms by qualified law enforcement
              officers
              `(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of the law of any State or any
              political subdivision thereof, an individual who is a qualified law
              enforcement officer and who is carrying the identification required by subsection
              (d) may carry a concealed firearm that has been shipped or transported in
              interstate or foreign commerce, subject to subsection (b).

              `(b) This section shall not be construed to supersede or limit the laws of
              any State that--

              `(1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict the
              possession of concealed firearms on their property; or

              `(2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any State or local
              government property, installation, building, base, or park.

              `(c) As used in this section, the term `qualified law enforcement officer'
              means an employee of a governmental agency who--

              `(1) is authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention,
              detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the incarceration of any person
              for, any violation of law, and has statutory powers of arrest;

              `(2) is authorized by the agency to carry a firearm;

              `(3) is not the subject of any disciplinary action by the agency;

              `(4) meets standards, if any, established by the agency which require the
              employee to regularly qualify in the use of a firearm;

              `(5) is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or
              hallucinatory drug or substance; and

              `(6) is not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm.

              `(d) The identification required by this subsection is the photographic
              identification issued by the governmental agency for which the individual is
              employed as a law enforcement officer.

              `(e) As used in this section, the term `firearm' does not include--

              `(1) any machinegun (as defined in section 5845 of the National Firearms
              Act);

              `(2) any firearm silencer (as defined in section 921 of this title); and

              `(3) any destructive device (as defined in section 921 of this title).'.

              (b) Clerical Amendment- The table of sections for such chapter is amended
              by inserting after the item relating to section 926A the following:
              `926B. Carrying of concealed firearms by qualified law enforcement
              officers.'.
              SEC. 3. EXEMPTION OF QUALIFIED RETIRED LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS FROM STATE
              LAWS PROHIBITING THE CARRYING OF CONCEALED FIREARMS.
              (a) In General- Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, is further
              amended by inserting after section 926B the following:
              `Sec. 926C. Carrying of concealed firearms by qualified retired law
              enforcement officers
              `(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of the law of any State or any
              political subdivision thereof, an individual who is a qualified retired law
              enforcement officer and who is carrying the identification required by
              subsection (d) may carry a concealed firearm that has been shipped or
              transported in interstate or foreign commerce, subject to subsection (b).

              `(b) This section shall not be construed to supersede or limit the laws of
              any State that--

              `(1) permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict the
              possession of concealed firearms on their property; or

              `(2) prohibit or restrict the possession of firearms on any State or local
              government property, installation, building, base, or park.

              `(c) As used in this section, the term `qualified retired law enforcement
              officer' means an individual who--

              `(1) retired in good standing from service with a public agency as a law
              enforcement officer, other than for reasons of mental instability;

              `(2) before such retirement, was authorized by law to engage in or
              supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of, or the
              incarceration of any person for, any violation of law, and had statutory powers
              of arrest;

              `(3)(A) before such retirement, was regularly employed as a law
              enforcement officer for an aggregate of 15 years or more; or

              `(B) retired from service with such agency, after completing any
              applicable probationary period of such service, due to a service-connected
              disability, as determined by such agency;

              `(4) has a nonforfeitable right to benefits under the retirement plan of
              the agency;

              `(5) during the most recent 12-month period, has met, at the expense of
              the individual, the State's standards for training and qualification for
              active law enforcement officers to carry firearms;

              `(6) is not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or
              hallucinatory drug or substance; and

              `(7) is not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm.

              `(d) The identification required by this subsection is--

              `(1) a photographic identification issued by the agency from which the
              individual retired from service as a law enforcement officer that indicates
              that the individual has, not less recently than one year before the date the
              individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise
              found by the agency to meet the standards established by the agency for
              training and qualification for active law enforcement officers to carry a firearm
              of the same type as the concealed firearm; or

              `(2)(A) a photographic identification issued by the agency from which the
              individual retired from service as a law enforcement officer; and

              `(B) a certification issued by the State in which the individual resides
              that indicates that the individual has, not less recently than one year
              before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested
              or otherwise found by the State to meet the standards established by the
              State for training and qualification for active law enforcement officers to
              carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm.

              `(e) As used in this section, the term `firearm' does not include--

              `(1) any machinegun (as defined in section 5845 of the National Firearms
              Act);

              `(2) any firearm silencer (as defined in section 921 of this title); and

              `(3) a destructive device (as defined in section 921 of this title).'.

              (b) Clerical Amendment- The table of sections for such chapter is further
              amended by inserting after the item relating to section 926B the following:
              `926C. Carrying of concealed firearms by qualified retired law enforcement
              officers.'.

              ________________________

              thank a military veteran

            • assoresearch@aol.com