Sexting

  • Tom Slovenski
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 30, 2009
      What are they REALLY saying?

      http://tinyurl.com/yf2c4fb

      Cell Phone Data Recovery & More!

      Thomas J. Slovenski

      Certified Cellular Forensics Examiner

      SLED PDC2073

      CELLULAR FORENSICS, LLC

      864-252-7451

      <http://www.cellularforensics.com> www.cellularforensics.com

      <http://www.thedigitalexterminator.com> www.thedigitalexterminator.com

      *Instructor: 2008 & 2009: Mobile Forensics World

      Conference

      *Advisory Board Member for Fast Forensics, Inc.

      *Retired Police Detective

      *SC's First Private Mobile Forensics Lab

      *Specializing in Cell Phone Data Recovery, Cell Tower

      Acquisitions and Mobile Phone Spyware Detection

      *Proud Member of the SCECTF: SC Electronic Crime Task

      Force (in conjunction with Homeland Security)

      *Proud Member of the SC Chapter of InfraGard

      Notice: This electronic communication may contain information of a
      confidential or privileged nature and is intended to be viewed only by the
      intended recipient. If you receive this email in error, please delete it
      and notify my office by email at tom@.... Warning: Any
      unauthorized interception of this electronic communication is a violation of
      18 USC 2510, et seq., The Electronic Communications Privacy Act, which
      carries penalties of up to 5 years imprisonment, criminal fines, and
      possible civil liability.

    • Gary Krisulevicz
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2009
        Thanks Tom, you have just caused my 13 year old daughter's phone to be flushed down the toilet. I am discovering there are just some things I am ok with not knowing.
         Gary L. Krisulevicz
        Bartlet Agency, LLC
        NJ Lic#7979 / Va Lic#99209497
        www.bartletagency.com
        (732) 996-1070

        ________________________________

        and notify my office by email at tom@cellularforensi cs.com. Warning: Any

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 2, 2009
            Yeah.
            Of course that is what I meant, sarcasm obviously went by without even slowing down.
            Jeez.
             Gary L. Krisulevicz
            Bartlet Agency, LLC
            NJ Lic#7979 / Va Lic#99209497
            www.bartletagency.com
            (732) 996-1070

            ________________________________

            ____________ _________ _________ __

            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 3, 2009
              This is one 13 year old who did not make it as a result of sexting.

              I am not sure if anything would have helped in this situation, changing
              schools? etc.,
              What are your thoughts?
              Denise

              'Sexting' bullying cited in teen girl's suicide - TODAY
              People<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34236377/ns/today-today_people/>
              Dec 2, 2009 *...* *Hope Witsell*, 13, took her own life. Dec. 2: In a TODAY
              exclusive, the mother of a 13-year-old *Florida* girl who committed suicide
              after *...*
              www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34236377/ns/today-today_people/ - 23 hours ago -

              On 12/2/09, Gary Krisulevicz <bartletagency@...> wrote:

              > Yeah.
              > Of course that is what I meant, sarcasm obviously went by without even
              > slowing down.
              > Jeez.
              > Gary L. Krisulevicz
              > Bartlet Agency, LLC
              > NJ Lic#7979 / Va Lic#99209497
              > www.bartletagency.com
              > (732) 996-1070
              >
              > ________________________________

              Denise Marhoefer
              Independent Investigative Journalist
              The Defense Foundation For Children USA
              www.defensefoundationforchildren.com/
              defensefoundation@...
              Our Forum
              www.defensefoundationforchildren.com/forum
              Miracles Of Hope Network www.miracles-of-hope.com
              The Juvenile Defender
              www.thejuveniledefender.com

              Member of F.L.I.P.
              Female Legal & Investigative Professionals
              http://www.flipmysteries.tv

              Facebook
              http://www.facebook.com/denise.marhoefer/

              All of our efforts are dedicated to the creation and restoration of
              good in the lives of children--

            • RickyG
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 3, 2009
                --- In infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Slovenski" <tom@...> wrote:

                > So it's ok for a 13 year old to be sexting if you just don't know about it?
                > Is that what you are saying?
                >

                > Cell Phone Data Recovery & More!
                >

                > Thomas J. Slovenski

                Ya know, here is where I just have to jump in and give my opinion.

                I think a lot of the things we are seeing in regards to what we are finding on cell phones and computers has been "stretched" to play on a parent's worst fear.

                I don't imagine that "sexting" is much different than what passing notes used to be when I was in school. I still remember when I was in the 6th grade and the rumor went all around school that Scott West and Jay Paris got Cindy Durham to show them her breasts on a bet that she lost all by a "note passing session" between the three of them in class. Nobody ever could confirm that rumor, but all the same it goes to prove that the minds of the children yesteryear are not much different than the minds of the children of today.

                I am not convinced that all of the sexually explicit items that are found on the cell phones and hard drives of the children of today has the potential to harm the children of today. My thoughts are that what has happened is that technology has evolved, so that now instead of "Lil Ricky" having to hide his Hustler Magazines in the house where his mom and stepdad can't find them, he now has to hide them on his computer so that they can't be found. I am sure this is a natural part of growing up.

                Some of what we are seeing here is just change that is coming about due to technology. I think there has to be a balance here. It is important to protect children from predators and I will say and the courts have ruled that the parents obligation to protect their child from predators trumps the child's right to privacy. However, that does not mean that the child should have no privacy. I can remember when I was a child, I saw and confronted things in school that I have not seen or confronted since being an adult. I believe this is just a part of growing up. And I agree with Gary, there are some things that are a part of a child growing up, are relatively harmless, and that are quite natural that a parent might be better off not even knowing about; and the child might be better off without the parent knowing about them too.

                I have seen this fear played on in so many ways, all in the name of protecting children, when in reality the motive is usually a bit more selfish than that. And I am not sure that some of the methods we are using are effective, and are protecting our children. As a matter of fact, I am almost sure that some of the methods we are using today are having an adverse effect on protecting our children. How is it that we are protecting our children from predators and yet we have instituted laws that are getting some of these children "branded" as a sex offender for the rest of their lives? Seems to me that this is a "protection" that our children can do without.....

                Tom, my thoughts are that your question and comment was completely over-exaggerated in regards to Gary's first comment on this thread.

                Rick.

                Direct Office Number: (573) 234-6876
                Office Phone: (573) 234-4647 Ext. 110
                Car Phone: (573) 529-0808
                Cell Phone: (573) 529-4476
                Toll Free Phone: (888) 571-0958
                Toll Free Fax: (877) 795-9800
                EMERGENCY LINE: (573) 234-4871

                RMRI, Inc. Websites
                (1) http://www.rmriinc.com

                RMRI, Inc. Blogs
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 3, 2009
                  Rick -

                  In my opinion anyone who thinks that young children have the RIGHT to
                  privacy is part of what is making this country such a irresponsible denizen of
                  worthless homosapiens. To equate "sexting" to "passing notes" is akin to
                  equating an atomic bomb to a hand grenade. Visual photographs of personal
                  body parts is NOT, by any stretch of imagination, similar to reading dirty
                  jokes.

                  How many "Li'l Ricky's" committed suicide when mommy and daddy discovered
                  their Hustler Magazine?

                  Sue

                  In a message dated 12/3/2009 7:11:27 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                  rmriinc@... writes:

                  --- In _infoguys-list@infoguys-lisinf_
                  (mailto:infoguys-list@yahoogroups.com) , "Tom Slovenski" <tom@...> wrote:

> [...]

                  them too.

                  I have seen this fear played on in so many ways, all in the name of
                  protecting children, when in reality the motive is usually a bit more selfish
                  than that. And I am not sure that some of the methods we are using are
                  effective, and are protecting our children. As a matter of fact, I am almost sure
                  that some of the methods we are using today are having an adverse effect on
                  protecting our children. How is it that we are protecting our children
                  from predators and yet we have instituted laws that are getting some of these
                  children "branded" as a sex offender for the rest of their lives? Seems to
                  me that this is a "protection" that our children can do without.....

                  Tom, my thoughts are that your question and comment was completely
                  over-exaggerated in regards to Gary's first comment on this thread.

                  (1) _http://www.rmriinc.htt_ (http://www.rmriinc.com/)
                  (2) _http://rmriinc.http://rmriinc.http://rm_
                  (http://rmriinc.bestcyberinvestigator.com/)

                  RMRI, Inc. Blogs
                  (1) _http://rmriinc.http://rmhttp://rmrhttp_
                  (http://rmriinc.blogspot.com/index.html)
                  (2) _http://rmriincspacehttp://rmriinhttp_
                  (http://rmriincspace.spaces.live.com/)

                • RickyG
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 3, 2009

                    > Rick -
                    >
                    > In my opinion anyone who thinks that young children have the RIGHT to
                    > privacy is part of what is making this country such a irresponsible denizen of
                    > worthless homosapiens. To equate "sexting" to "passing notes" is akin to
                    > equating an atomic bomb to a hand grenade. Visual photographs of personal
                    > body parts is NOT, by any stretch of imagination, similar to reading dirty
                    > jokes.
                    >
                    > How many "Li'l Ricky's" committed suicide when mommy and daddy discovered
                    > their Hustler Magazine?
                    >
                    > Sue

                    First I think we should clear one thing up, IF you are referring to Megan Meier, she did not commit suicide because she was "sexting" or because she was instant messaging. She committed suicide because an irresponsible adult decided to play an emotional game with her that she could not handle. If this same situation would have occurred 25 years ago on pencil and paper instead of a computer with an emotionally fragile child, I believe the end result would have been the same.

                    Second of all, do you think that if you could "flip a switch" on a cell phone and turn off all "sexting" and camera usage, that you would also shut down all teen hormones along with it? I have news for you, when I was in high school, in a very rural high school I might add, 13 and 14 year old girls were still getting pregnant, and guess what? They did not even have cell phones or computers back then.

                    And third of all, you can't help the fact that your child IS in fact going to have some privacy away from you, unless you are going to keep him or her locked up in their room until he or she is 18, and then let's see how "healthy" that is for them. And YES, children should be shown some respect from their parents; it is how they learn to give others respect. And YES, respect also means respecting their expectation of privacy. Now, should they have less of an expectation of privacy than an adult? Of course, they should. But not necessarily NO expectation of privacy at all. Go ahead, show your child that he or she has no right to an expectation of privacy at all, and see how well they learn to respect other people's expectation of privacy.

                    I am afraid that you are failing to realize what many other people are failing to realize. This problem is not even about a cell phone, or a computer or what occurs on them. And this problem is not new. Teens are going to have sexual experiences when they are away from their parents. It is a part of puberty. Now, maybe when you were a younger lady, puberty was not started until the age of 21, but nowadays and even when I was in school kids are confronting sexual issues at 13 and 14 years old, and perhaps even younger.

                    While it is true that I have no children, I do remember being a child. I do remember what my peer group was confronting and experiencing when I was a child. And I see cases right now today, in which children are looking at and downloading images on the Internet that have gotten their parents in trouble, until I and my team have had to prove that it was in fact the children that were looking at these images and downloading them from the Internet.

                    The hormones in a teenager have not changed. The teen curiosity has not changed. The situations that children confront in their peer groups have not changed. The only thing that has changed is the technology...

                    And on a side note, Alienware Laptops ROCK!

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 3, 2009
                      Rick -

                      No, I am not referring to Megan Meier by any stretch of the imagination.
                      Apparently you are not current affairs savvy. We have had TWO young ladies
                      take their lives over "sexting".

                      I do not agree that teen curiosity has not changed. If you research the
                      national demographics through some of the government sites to check the mean
                      age of pregnancy in the '50's, '60's, '80's and '00's, you will see that
                      the "mean age" has lowered I believe it is by 4 years. I can assure you that
                      in the '50's and '60's, the normal 13, 14 and 15 year olds were NOT
                      getting pregnant nor even having intercourse.

                      I will never forget the very first time I ever had a clue as to what
                      marijuana was. My friend and I were at the Linden Country Club dance on a
                      summer Wednesday night when a friend reported to me that Tommy and Elliot were
                      smoking marijuana. Three of us walked over and one by one slapped each one
                      of them upside their heads.

                      Sorry, Ricky, but things have changed. The exposure is much more
                      prevalent which in turn piques the curiosity that much sooner. Having hormonal
                      urgencies is one thing but having graphic explanations about how to handle
                      them is another.

                      These children that are killing themselves are doing so at their own hand
                      brought about by something they foolishly did. It is imperative that
                      parents do everything in their power to educate them as to the potential but
                      very serious harm that awaits them should they commit certain acts.
                      Complacency is an affirmation !!!

                      I just found out two weeks ago come Sunday that my FIFTH great-grandchild
                      came into this world. Trust me when I say I've not only seen the changes
                      through the years but have actually lived them as my father is the patriarch
                      of a five generation family.

                    • RickyG
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 4, 2009

                        > Rick -
                        >
                        > No, I am not referring to Megan Meier by any stretch of the imagination.
                        > Apparently you are not current affairs savvy. We have had TWO young ladies
                        > take their lives over "sexting".
                        >
                        > I do not agree that teen curiosity has not changed. If you research the
                        > national demographics through some of the government sites to check the mean
                        > age of pregnancy in the '50's, '60's, '80's and '00's, you will see that
                        > the "mean age" has lowered I believe it is by 4 years. I can assure you that
                        > in the '50's and '60's, the normal 13, 14 and 15 year olds were NOT
                        > getting pregnant nor even having intercourse.

                        I look at the stats by the Federal Government and then I compare them against stats like these:

                        "The teen birth rate has declined slowly but steadily from 1991 to 2002 with an overall decline of 30 percent for those aged 15 to 19. These recent declines reverse the 23-percent rise in the teenage birth rate from 1986 to 1991. The largest decline since 1991 by race was for black women. The birth rate for black teens aged 15 to 19 fell 42 percent between 1991 to 2002. Hispanic teen birth rates declined 20 percent between 1991 and 2002. The rates of both Hispanics and blacks, however, remain higher than for other groups. Hispanic teens now have the highest teenage birth rates. Most teenagers giving birth before 1980 were married whereas most teens giving birth today are unmarried."

                        Obtained from: The National Campaign To Prevent Teen Pregnancy

                        I read articles like this:

                        "The United States has the highest rates of teenage pregnancy and births in the western industrialized world. Teen pregnancy costs the United States at least $7 billion annually. Keep reading for more interesting facts on teen pregnancy statistics.

                        The fact that just under 1/3 of all girls in the United States will get pregnant in their teenage years is a sobering thought. Obviously, teen pregnancy is a problem in the United States. And the following statistics back that up:

                        Every year around 750,000 teenagers will get pregnant.
                        Depending on the state, teenage birth rates are incredibly different. Nevada has the highest rate: 113 per 1000 and North Dakota the lowest 42 per 1000. Unmarried teenagers having children account for 24 percent of all unmarried expectant mothers. More than 2/3 of all teenagers who have a baby will not graduate from high school. Billions of dollars are spent taking care of teenage mothers and their children and they are more likely to be in the poverty bracket. On the flip side, millions of dollars are spent in prevention programs. The good news is that teen births have dropped by almost a third since the beginning of the 1990s. With pregnancy prevention programs and more understanding and teaching about safe sex, this number will hopefully drop even more. Here are a few other statistics that hopefully point to even better prevention rates in the years to come:

                        In 2002 the abortion rate among teenager mother was 50 percent lower than its high point in 1988. Among black teenagers, the pregnancy rate dropped around 40 percent since 1990. Among Hispanic teenagers the pregnancy rate dropped around 19 percent since 1990. Among white teenagers, the pregnancy rate dropped around 34 percent since 1990. So while teenager pregnancies are dropping, it is still a constant problem as there are more and more kids who enter their teenager years each year. Teenager pregnancy programs are important to as the above statistics are showing that these programs yield good results. These programs should be continually studied to make sure they are up-to-date and working in the education of teenagers on the problems of teenager pregnancy.

                        One way of making sure to keep the programs fresh is to talk with the teenagers themselves, asking what they think about sex and how it is portrayed in their school life, by their friends, in their families, and in the media. How much do each of these contribute to how a teenager views sex? Parents and educators are in a position to somewhat monitor how sex and especially unsafe sex is being digested by the teenagers today. As more questions are answered and prevention programs initiated and/or updated, hopefully these statistics can continually to fall.

                        As mentioned above, billions of dollars are spent taking care of teenage mothers and their children while only millions are needed to provide good prevention program. For more information on teenage pregnancy prevention, see the Preventing Teenage Pregnancy article on this site.

                        Teen Pregnancy Statistics Sources:

                        Department of Health and Human Services: Office of Public Health and Services, "Office of Adolescent Pregnancy Programs," [online].
                        Guttmacher Institute, "U.S. Teenage Pregnancy Statistics National and State Trends and Trends by Race and Ethnicity," [pdf online].
                        National Center for Health Statistics, "National Vital Statistics Reports, Volume 55, Number 1," [pdf online].
                        TeenPregnancy.org, "Preventing Teen Pregnancy: Why it Matters," [pdf online].
                        TeenPregnancy.org, "So What?" [online]."

                        And I wonder....?

                        Stats don't really mean much to me, not since I had a discussion on how to skew stats with a mathematician a while back. But, I think we can visibly see a contradiction in statistics here, if we want to play the "stat game". The stats that I have quoted seem to imply that recently the teen pregnancy problem seems to have been reduced a somewhat...

                        I think that there is not much difference in those days of old and now, as you have implied. Teens were still getting pregnant, they just got married back then. My grandmother had her first child when she was 13, and had 12 children before she was 30. My grandparents were sharecroppers; they had to "produce workers to tend to the farm". LOL. The point is, the same thing was happening back in the 1930s and 1940s, and it was even acceptable back then, but of course only by marriage... LOL. My grandparents were not the only sharecroppers that had children when the female was of early age. In North Carolina back in the 1930s and 1940s apparently it was quite common, because many of my parent's friends came from homes where their mother had her first child when she was a young teenager. And while I may not have turned out "just fine"; my mother did.... LOL.

                        I can only see one difference, and that is the advancement of technology. Teens viewed more graphic books than Hustler when I was coming up, I remember a magazine called "Puritan" that was floating around my high school (just type in "Puritan Magazine" in Google, if you don't believe me, but be prepared for some pretty graphic stuff). And the adult pornography scenes in that magazine 25 to 30 years ago were just as graphic as any adult porn you'd find on the Internet today. Don't fool yourself, the graphic depictions offered up on the Internet now, were offered up in magazines 25 and 30 years ago; perhaps the biggest difference is that it went from being a picture to being a video, but the "message" was not lost on the youth of yesterday....

                        I simply don't think that much has really changed in regards to the children of today and the issues they are confronting today and the children of yesteryear and the issues they confronted yesteryear. I refuse to subscribe to the theory that current technology has put a threat around every corner for the children of today.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 4, 2009
                          Rick -

                          There you go again.

                          Although it is true that one would expect the numbers to diminish because
                          of 1) birth control, and 2) abortions, neither of which were available back
                          in the '50's and '60's as they are today, you went and only covered the
                          '80's to the present time. I specifically requested you check the actual
                          demographics provided by the government, not some teen research article,
                          regarding the figures for the '50's and '60's. This country did not really
                          start on the treacherously FAST slippery-slope moral decay until the '70's.
                          I'm talking about the overall lack of general respect, self-respect and
                          degradation, not the hormonal urges.

                          There was a time in this country when everyone knew their role and they
                          played it. They knew that each family had to produce 2.6 children for the
                          country to maintain and without that, a country dies. Even gays got married
                          and had children and played around a lot in the closet.

                          Today we're down to what, 1.6 and I think we teeter at 2.1 if you include
                          the illegals born here. When you have a society where the seniors
                          outnumber the working class, you have a society approaching death. We're there
                          right now. But, I digress as that is another chapter.

                          The mores (pronounced more-rays) have changed drastically and it is people
                          like you who will continue to ramble on incessantly attempting to justify
                          why this country is falling apart. I won't be here but you are in for one
                          heck of a shock. However, in the face of our current political arena, it
                          may not be that far off after all.

                          Ugh, I'll get off my soapbox.

                        • RickyG
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 4, 2009

                            > Rick -

                            > The mores (pronounced more-rays) have changed drastically and it is people
                            > like you who will continue to ramble on incessantly attempting to justify
                            > why this country is falling apart. I won't be here but you are in for one
                            > heck of a shock. However, in the face of our current political arena, it
                            > may not be that far off after all.
                            >
                            > Ugh, I'll get off my soapbox.
                            >
                            > Sue

                            I agree that sometime in the 70s we started "going to hell"; something happened to us then, and I don't know what it was.

                            I also agree that there is a problem now, and that problems is affecting our youth in some very bad ways (Columbine).

                            But I don't think the problem is cell phones and computers......

                            And when it gets as bad as it can possibly get, you'll be right here with me. You are far too mean to die, and you know that you still have many more people's lives to make miserable before you kill over on us.... ;o)

                            At any rate, my argument is not as much against the points that you are making that something is so wrong with the society of today; because I do believe that too... I also believe that it is going to get worse. My argument is a technology argument that did ramble into this thread we now have, and I am simply trying say that we are blaming much on technology that we can control ourselves and thus should be taking personal responsibility for .......